green snake in house

seajae

Hi guys, wife just started screaming and when I looked she screamed snake and I saw a 2' green snake go across the floor pretty quick and go under the lounge suite. Have tried to find it but no luck so we have no idea where it is now. It was only small, bright green, and was trying to escape and did not attempt to retaliate at being chased. It was originally hiding amongst a few things(bag of dog food etc) in the corner near the back door and came out while my wife was sweeping the floor. Can anyone give me an idea what it may be, could not see any markings at all on it, thought it may be somne sort of tree snake and non pisonous but would appreciate if someone in the know could give me options as I am sure it it still inside somewhere.

Thanks

We get the green tree snakes at our place fairly often, but so far not inside the house. They can jump fair distances if provoked and when they do attack, they like to strike multiple times. My bike shoes and shoe racks have luckily taken all the hits so far. Call a local to come in and root it out. Not worth taking a risk if you are not sure what kind of snake it is or how it might react.

• Like 1

If you dont know or are not sure assume its deadly until proven itherwise, that way you wont make a mistake and you and your family will stay safe which is the most important thing.Get a local to deal with it DONT TAKE CHANCES.

• Like 1

Green tree python maybe. Had one here we believe dropped by whatever bird of prey circles above.

Told it was poisonous, how poisonous I don't know.

All pythons are non-venomous.

But, as another oster indicated, assume venomous until identified correctly.

• Like 2

try this site Seajae-particularly the green ones about half way down-might give a perspective

http://www.siam-info.com/english/snakes_common.html

it actually had identical colouring to the pit viper but a much smaller head. Cannot find it at all now, so we are not sure if it got out or is still hiding somewhere

Here's a pic of a golden tree snake that used to pop into our kitchen a lot in our last house.

Although not overly green, they can look a lot more green than this bad boy.

Mildly venomous and bloody fast but would rather flle than fight.

006_zps4e4546e2.jpg

Most highly venomous snakes are reticent to shift when confronted, but it's not worth the risk. I used to catch snakes as a kid in South Africa and have no issues doing so. And I abhor killing them, but I understand that human life is more valuable :)

• Like 2

There are too many venomous green snakes here to try to even guess, keep a safe distance but get it outside asap.

most snakes in Thailand arent venomous

The graveyeard is full of people who would disagree with that statement :)

There are at least a dozen deadly species including various Kraits, Cobras and a myriad of Pit Viper derivatives.

It just takes one and that is why you should always exercise caution.

• Like 1

There are too many venomous green snakes here to try to even guess, keep a safe distance but get it outside asap.

The graveyeard is full of people who would disagree with that statement smile.png

There are at least a dozen deadly species including various Kraits, Cobras and a myriad of Pit Viper derivatives.

hmmmmmmmmm read again I didnt say there are no venomous snakes i said most arent venomous, people tend to kill all snakes mostly unecessarily http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology_of_snakebites

• Like 1

The graveyeard is full of people who would disagree with that statement smile.png

hmmmmmmmmm read again I didnt say there are no venomous snakes i said most arent venomous, people tend to kill all snakes mostly unecessarily http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology_of_snakebites

I read it correctly first time thanks !

IMO, telling someone who has an unidentified snake in their house that most snakes in Thailand are non-venomous is not great advice.

Exercise caution until you know otherwise, on the other hand...hmmmm

There are 175 species of snakes in Thailand, about 50 of them are venomous.

That is about 28%, I don't like those odds much smile.png

Edited by chonabot
  • Like 1

try this site Seajae-particularly the green ones about half way down-might give a perspective

http://www.siam-info.com/english/snakes_common.html

it actually had identical colouring to the pit viper but a much smaller head. Cannot find it at all now, so we are not sure if it got out or is still hiding somewhere

Yeah, they can hide very well. Last year I had a 40 inch long rat snake in a small box full of plumbing fittings. Luckily I saw a part of its body before reaching in for a fitting. You might want to flip that couch over and any other furniture to see where it is. It is likely holed up there waiting for dark to get on the move again.

• Like 1

Here's a pic of a golden tree snake that used to pop into our kitchen a lot in our last house.

Although not overly green, they can look a lot more green than this bad boy.

Mildly venomous and bloody fast but would rather flle than fight.

006_zps4e4546e2.jpg

Most highly venomous snakes are reticent to shift when confronted, but it's not worth the risk. I used to catch snakes as a kid in South Africa and have no issues doing so. And I abhor killing them, but I understand that human life is more valuable smile.png

I like the golden tree snakes, they are amusing to watch patroling the roof spaces for tokay, they also get harrased noisily by squirels... had one slither over me as it used my hammock to get arcoss the porch on Koh Tao.

• Like 1

SOunds like a tree snake which is non venomous.

When my kids were young and sleeping in their bedroom I found one on the wall. I was scared and got the kids out. I used a golf club to force it out the window onto the balcony when it fell off and landed on a woman standing outside. Then it went into my car engine and I couldn't get it out. I drove the car to the car wash where they hosed it out.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your help and answers but it is no longer a problem. It came out and scared the bejesus out of mum(fell on her head of the top of the door) and unfortunately it died from severe contusions(lots and lots of them, the screaming would have probably caused it problems too).

My only gripe is that I didnt get to see it happentongue.png , I would have wet myself laughing. Didnt id it and there wasnt a lot of undamaged bits left with which to really check it out but I tend to think it wasnt a poisonous one, just unfortunate to pick mum to drop on, that was a bad move and definitely not good for its health.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your help and answers but it is no longer a problem. It came out and scared the bejesus out of mum(fell on her head of the top of the door) and unfortunately it died from severe contusions(lots and lots of them, the screaming would have probably caused it problems too).

My only gripe is that I didnt get to see it happentongue.png , I would have wet myself laughing. Didnt id it and there wasnt a lot of undamaged bits left with which to really check it out but I tend to think it wasnt a poisonous one, just unfortunate to pick mum to drop on, that was a bad move and definitely not good for its health.

Wow, exciting times at your house! Can only imagine that event taking place. It was likely the common green tree snake as they are great climbers and jumpers. Friends get them in their house often and they normally find them by noticing a tail hanging out from behind a photograph on the wall.

• Like 1

hahahahaha, got up this morning and mum is looking at every door frame in the house when she goes through thewm, it really scared the crap out of her. Had a better lok at the remains this morning and I think you are right, green tree snake, probably inside eating all the ginka as we have lots here. Guess we will have to start looking around a bit more carefully now but watching mum walk around the place is a real scream now, dont think she will ever be the same againcheesy.gif

hahahahaha, got up this morning and mum is looking at every door frame in the house when she goes through thewm, it really scared the crap out of her. Had a better lok at the remains this morning and I think you are right, green tree snake, probably inside eating all the ginka as we have lots here. Guess we will have to start looking around a bit more carefully now but watching mum walk around the place is a real scream now, dont think she will ever be the same againcheesy.gif

If you ever decide to "end it all" just buy a rubber one at the market, lay on the floor with it on your stomach and start screaming. By the time mum is done with it you'll be toast. Suicide by mum!

• Like 1

If you ever decide to "end it all" just buy a rubber one at the market, lay on the floor with it on your stomach and start screaming. By the time mum is done with it you'll be toast. Suicide by mum!

hahahaha, mate, that would be a painful death, the way she took to the snake last night , she missed every second blow, i would be covered in bruises from head to toew00t.gif

You should always treat ALL snakes as poisoness, There are to many to make a judgment without actually seeing them. Some are deformed and some dont have regular markings, so treat them all the same. leave them alone. If by chance you come into contact it would be a mistake on the snakes part, because usually they go away from you,

• Like 2

How actually common are snakes, big ass spiders and scorpions in rural areas of Thailand? Is it a common experience to have them running around in your house? The reason I ask is that I am thinking in the near future of some long stays in maybe rural Thailand or Cambodia and although I do have experince with staying in rural areas in the tropics it is not enough to really get an idea of what I would be heading for and the locals are hard to get an answer from that is more than vague. I am from London, I am not supposed to die from a snake bite bah.gif

I have lived in The Jungles In South Thailand, generally Snakes will keep away from you, most people get bitten by accident by standing on them, or putting your hand on them by accident. I walk heavy in the jungle, by that i walk like i am stamping the snake feels the vibration and will go away from you, If in the trees or bushes that's another thing just don't go swinging from trees and bushes. Spiders are diffrent, they are every where, there webs always seem to be face height. The last one i saw had a web 6ft by 10 ft, it was a golden orb, as big as a dinner plate..It was eating a dove at the time. just be careful, shake your boots and check your bed before getting in , The wife has been stung a few times by scorpions. The biggest thing i have found that freaks me out is the leaches, they will walk towards you after the rain, and you never know they are there. apart from that you will have no problem.

• Like 1

Yeah, well I guess if ever a snake enters my house I'll try first to find this link before looking to see where the sod went. I can't recall where I put my Snakes of Thailand book, but I guess I could look for that whilst the missus is freaking out!

Unless a person is a trained expert, assume the worse and do what's necessary to get rid of it.

• Like 1