Is a 1-yr Thai DL accepted in any/many other countries?

georgey

Sorry if this has been covered recently. Couldn't find an answer to my specific question.

Recently got a Thai licence because my UK one was about to expire. I was unable (without lying) to renew the latter as I could not state that I am resident there. I hadn't bothered with a Thai one before, though I should have, & am now concerned that the Thai one may not be acceptable when renting overseas, particularly because it clearly states that it is "Temporary". I wonder if anyone has tried using a one year licence overseas? I've seen it stated here before that the 5-yr version is OK in (at least some) other countries, but am concerned that the "Temporary" one may be considered by some to be the equivalent of "Provisional", & therefore completely useless.

Any information on this would be much appreciated.

You can get an international license at the land transport office, where you got your Thai DL.

Only available on a 5 year licence. The Temporary one is in many repects equivalent to a provisional licence. It has a higher number of points for offences than a 5 year (yes Thailand does have a point scheme for legal fines) and is only valid in Thailand.

Having originally failed to dig up this topic, I've now found a discussion entitled "Thai 1 year Driving Licence in UK", which was closed in Jan this year.

As stated above, I certainly appreciate the answers I've received, but it does appear there are other opinions on the matter, &, of course, DVLA isn't prepared to give a straight answer.

There was, however, one comment made in the above-mentioned discussion, to the effect that the writer wouldn't want to meet the holder of a one-year Thai licence on the UK roads - a comment with which I'd previously have whole-heartedly agreed. But I now find myself in a situation where, having driven all over the world for 40 years, without incident, the only licence available to me is one-year Thai. As I stupidly allowed my marriage/retirement visas to lapse for a considerable time, I was neither formally resident here in Thailand (even though this is where I live), nor in the UK where my existing licence comes from. So I was neither able to renew my old UK licence, nor get started with the process in this country.

Based on a number of contributions, it appears that the only country in which I may be able to drive, for the next 12 months, is the only one in which I have consciously decided to keep my driving to a minimum because I'd prefer to live a bit longer. How ironic is that.....

Having originally failed to dig up this topic, I've now found a discussion entitled "Thai 1 year Driving Licence in UK", which was closed in Jan this year. <snip>

Please give us a link to that discussion, so you can maybe get some up-to-date information.