Jolly Frier fish & Chips

rocky123

I live on Kho Noi and this evening rang through an order to the Jolly Frier, soi Lenkie, food was 400 bht but was delivered by a motorbike taxi 150 bht. On there site it says 40 bht delivery, no other price. Last time for me, a bit cheeky me thinks, not stating this over the phone or on their online site. Eat local next time. coffee1.gif

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of the delivery price the Jolly Friar is just plain expensive. Their price for basic local fish and chips has gone from under 100B to 150B in quite little time. Other places (like the Golden Friar in Jomtien) have maintained their prices for basic F&C at 100B and there are numerous places around Soi Buakow that do F&C (often with peas) for between 110 and 150B.

There is a fairly new F&C place in New Plaza (off 2nd Road near the Isuzu showroom) that does a good portion of local fish and chips for 100B. But dont order the peas which are served in an eggcup and seem to cost about 1B each.

I ordered the 100bt fish and chips in Jomtien.

Cut into the fish and see a worm. Cut into another section of the filet and see another worm. (dead of course). Didn't take a single bite.

Check please.

The waitress took the money and wasn't concerned that I obviously didn't even taste the stuff.

Edited by Rimmer
Name removed

golden friar in chomtien (which used to be jolly friar number 2 and was sold) is not a patch on the original jolly friar in LK

the portion sizes are bigger, the food is better quality and the service is so much better in town

for me quality is the main requirement not the price

as to home delivery, if you are confined by injury and home delivery is the only way but fish and chips simply do not travel well

just a soggy, greasy mess by the time they get there

• Like 1

Must admit, like Pattaya Pat, I need occasionally, a "Western fix." Be it fish and chips or a burger .. Obviously something completely un-healthy.

Fish and chips I tend to go to Simon's in Jomtien. Sounds a bit pricey after reading some of the comments on here, however I always enjoy, so not worried about paying a few extra baht. Can recommend the burgers from the Kiss restaurants ... Nice big burger, and 47 baht. You can push the boat out and have cheese for another 6 baht.

• Like 2

I'm not surprised that it hasn't improved since it opened.

It borders on food fraud and they should be run out of town :)

Sorry but good(sometimes excellent, occasionally fair) fish and chips in Jomtien can only

be found at Simon's but you won't get it for less than 175 Baht.

I ordered the 100bt fish and chips at Golden in Jomtien.

Cut into the fish and see a worm. Cut into another section of the filet and see another worm. (dead of course). Didn't take a single bite.

Check please.

The waitress took the money and wasn't concerned that I obviously didn't even taste the stuff.

The last time I went to the Golden Friar in Jomtien, I noticed my bill was bigger than it should have been,

all the waitresses were looking at me before i even said anything, then one waitress came back and

gave me the difference before i even said anything, so please please always check your bill.....

The Fish and Chips look delicious, but i find a bit tasteless.......

The couple of times i went to Simon's

that was ok,, just not a patch on the UKs..........

Where about is Simon's in Jontiem?

At the Hanuman statue turn the bend as if your going to the Beach, and Simon's is on the right

not far from the statue roundabout...

You got to drive slow else you will miss it.........

Edited by pattaya_girl

"I live on Kho Noi and this evening rang through an order to the Jolly Frier, soi Lenkie, food was 400 bht but was delivered by a motorbike taxi 150 bht. On there site it says 40 bht delivery, no other price. Last time for me, a bit cheeky me thinks, not stating this over the phone or on their online site. Eat local next time. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif"

You should have battered the motorbike taxi driver. laugh.png

If you had these delivered from Whitby it would cost £647.30 Cash on delivery of course PLUS tip Big Tip i think you got a bargain pay the extra 110 baht or send me a begging letter & i will pay it for you..

ps FISH & CHIPS IN THAILAND embrace the ambiance try local nosh fantastic . or move to Benidorm..

Lived here 8 years + and like a western munch now and then but would not order from whitby, bit far en it. cheesy.gif

I will have the 110 bht thow, consider this a begin letter ok. wai2.gif

Yep last time for the JF. giggle.gif

Check please.

And why exactly did you pay for something so patently unsatisfactory?

I've eaten there many times and have never had anything wrong with my meal. But if I did find something wrong such as you describe they would wait forever to be paid.

golden friar in chomtien (which used to be jolly friar number 2 and was sold) is not a patch on the original jolly friar in LK

the portion sizes are bigger, the food is better quality and the service is so much better in town

When was the last time you eat at either place?

I went to the Jomtien one about 3 weeks ago and I went to the Soi Lengkee one about 2 weeks ago. Apart from the price there wasnt a great deal of difference that I noticed. Certainly the ingredients appeared to be identical though the portion was perhaps a little larger at Soi Lenkee. Not 50% larger though. Service identical (and good) in both places.

For 99B the place in New Plaza is better than both the Friars anyway, Golden or Jolly. But don't order peas.

Check please.

And why exactly did you pay for something so patently unsatisfactory?

I've eaten there many times and have never had anything wrong with my meal. But if I did find something wrong such as you describe they would wait forever to be paid.

I didn't feel like complaining.

It was only 100bt. and a test to see if the waitress was brain dead.

When was the last time you eat at either place?

I went to the Jomtien one about 3 weeks ago and I went to the Soi Lengkee one about 2 weeks ago. Apart from the price there wasnt a great deal of difference that I noticed. Certainly the ingredients appeared to be identical though the portion was perhaps a little larger at Soi Lenkee. Not 50% larger though. Service identical (and good) in both places.

For 99B the place in New Plaza is better than both the Friars anyway, Golden or Jolly. But don't order peas.

one month jomtien and last friday pattaya

pattaya is much better

didn't say 50% bigger, you did

anyway i had cod at 200 baht, i bet that makes you cringe.....

Edited by blackman

one month jomtien and last friday pattaya

pattaya is much better

didn't say 50% bigger, you did

I said "not 50% bigger" because the basic local F&C in Soi Lengkee is 50% more expensive than at Jomtien. To get 50% more might be a valid reason for the extra 50% cost, but this is not the case.

anyway i had cod at 200 baht,

Then you aren't really comparing the same thing as I was discussing, are you? So what's your point? 200B cod and chips is better than 100B Pacific Dory and chips? I would certainly hope so otherwise those ordering the cod would look pretty stupid, wouldn't they?

i bet that makes you cringe.....

You seriously imagine that anyone apart from you cares about what sort of fish you eat? Amazing.