Buying a superbike for a 2 months trip?

Wulf86

Hello together,

I'm a independent traveller and I want to explore Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia by a superbike in the next 2 months.

I don't like to go always by public transport.

I know about the high accident rate here in the country alrady. Also I'm worry about that high amount of rain by the monsunseason.

Still I'm getting now to Phuket next week and want to have a look for second hand bikes. Also I don't know yet, if I'm allowed to buy a motorbike.

The prices for bikes should be cheaper then in Malaysia.

So I want to buy a cheap but good motorbike from any local brand. Important should be that I can carry my clothes and belongings with me by some external bags.

Do you have any good tipps or experience for me?

I'm happy about all support.

Thanks people.

Wulf

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is a superbike? Normal bikes are expensive already in Thailand. Exotic ones often come without a full title and registration. What is your budget and what is that you really want ?

Edited by paz

Well, here in Malaysia they call a scooter a motorbike. And they call a usually motorbike a superbike. I'm confused by that, too.

My budget for a motorbike and clothes is arround 6000 Euro. I could by a fast scooter too. But I dont know if this is powerful enough for all hills.

With that money you can buy a lot of stuff. You would be better making you mind as there is a lot of difference between a scooter, a 150cc, or a a Kawa er-6n, you have to decide what you really want. Give a look to the classified section for an idea of the prices. You could even work-out a deal with the seller agreeing to return the bike back after a time for a lower price, without registering ownership change.

If you only have a tourist visa I think you will not be able to own the bike, that is , have it registered in your own name. You would probably find it easier to hire a bike for two months.

You can register a vehicle even when on a visa waiver. All you need is a residence letter from immigration and a cooperating land transport officer or agency. I say that because I've see it done. However as you say, a long term rental agreement may be a better option.

Edited by paz

You can buy a motorbike in your name as long as you have a visa of any kind in your passport, even a tourist visa, as you will have to get a certificate of residence from immigration.

A Visa exempt is not a visa.

On a rented bike you can not leave the country, so visiting Laos or Cambodia on a rented bike would not be possible.

For 6000 Euro you can sure get some decent tour bike, or off-road bike, that will last you through the trip, and is resalable at a minimum loss afterwards.

Stay away from Thai and Chines brands.

• Like 1

If the bike is not in your name you may have trouble getting it to leave Thailand for Laos or Cambodia. Same will probably be true for a rental bike.

I would go to a main Honda dealer and enquire about say a CBR250 and ask about ownership.

If you only have a tourist visa I think you will not be able to own the bike, that is , have it registered in your own name. You would probably find it easier to hire a bike for two months.

You can register a vehicle even when on a visa waiver. All you need is a residence letter from immigration and a cooperating land transport officer or agency. I say that because I've see it done. However as you say, a long term rental agreement may be a better option.

First thanks for all your support! :-)

So rental will be not possible because I want to leave the country. So I need to get a residence letter. Is there any requirement?

Who is a cooparating transport officer? The motorbike supplier?

I planned to get a Honda motorbike.

• Like 1

If the bike is not in your name you may have trouble getting it to leave Thailand for Laos or Cambodia. Same will probably be true for a rental bike.

I would go to a main Honda dealer and enquire about say a CBR250 and ask about ownership.

He Can't really by a new cbr250, since he will get a red licence plate (if any) for a month or two. That makes it impossible to leave the country as well...

Edited by Ninja4mee
  • Like 2

id go to bangkok and buy from somewhere like red baron and try to swing a deal where they will buy it back when you are done.

id be looking for a great condition vfr, cbr or similar that is if superbike means sport bike.

otherwise a crf, or similar

Edited by LemonSqueeza

Unless you have clear title [book in your name], you will never get the bike out of the country. It takes anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks for the book to arrive.

If you have time to tour Thailand for 2 months, you won't have an issue leaving the country with the bike.

Residence letter: unless the rules have changed, to get this you need to go to the immigration police with a signed rental agreement for your house.

If you are not residing here (just staying in a hotel) you may have a problem.

• Like 1

Why don't you bring your own superbike from Malaysia? You can temporarily import it into Thailand without paying any tax as long as you bring it back to Malaysia within the time frame given by the Royal Thai Customs. Just make sure they allow you in for 2 months, I think that's possible.

I would go for a second hand Honda CB500X should be around 180-190k which is around 4500 euro. Also you dont have to worry about the registration in the first place, because its registered already. The transfer to your name could be done later after the trip before you are selling it again. Thats fully legal and nothing to worry about.

Residence letter: unless the rules have changed, to get this you need to go to the immigration police with a signed rental agreement for your house.

If you are not residing here (just staying in a hotel) you may have a problem.

He will have a problem if he has no proof that he is residing here, so you are correct. If he has a friend who will kindly write a letter to confirm that he is living at his friends house it is possible for him to get the residency certificate from immigration, and a Thai driving licence which I would definitly get if touring the Country. I know this as I have a friend who done it, and his bike is parked at my house right now. ;-)

• Like 1

He Can't really by a new cbr250, since he will get a red licence plate (if any) for a month or two. That makes it impossible to leave the country as well...

A newly registered bike can be taken out of the country by the registered owner. See the land transport office and ask them for the appropriate paperwork.

Easier to do in Cambodia. But you need bike registered in your name and reg. card to enter other countries. Just having a receipt no longer works. Can take up to 3 months to get the card. A lot sooner if you can grease the right palms. Once you have then no problem getting across borders, except China and Vietnam. That is a different story altogether.

Get an enduro bike, much better for the kind of roads and travel in these counties.

Edited by morocco

Well, I think I will have the same problems to buy a motorbike in Malaysia, because I'm not a local, too.

Is it really easier to get a motorbike in Cambodia?

I need to get to a LTO in Phuket to verify the way of purchase.

The motorbike supplier can do the letter of residence, too?

Thanks all!!

Sent from my ME371MG using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You most likely won't be buying a supersport bike, but something with 45-80hp.

As others have stated the Kawasaki 650 line or Honda CBR500 line are in your price range.

There are some 600RR's for sale that are legal, but for 6k euro I would expect to be getting one not in prime condition.

Also you will have trouble selling it back unless you are willing to do a quick sale and lose a good chunk of cash or have the time to wait around. Most people do not have the cash to drop on a used bike and choose to finance instead, sometimes a bigger bike can be in the classifieds for months before it sells.

I have a 650r Ninja and most of the major roads are fine for riding here, it's also nice to know that in each major section of the country there is a dealership for support.

If I were to do what you were doing I would get a D-tracker 250, consider the 331cc kit and then have a bike that can hit decent speeds but also tackle most roads in Thailand and Laos. The cheaper price would also make it an easier resale.

Good luck on your adventure.

Hi, I doubt if you can buy one in your name if it was me I would do a deal with a rental place for a good price but not from Phuket,

Go further up country. You could do a good deal for long term. Hope this some help to you, best of luck