Buying a superbike for a 2 months trip?

Wulf86

Enough good advice on the paperwork issues.

About the bike: i think you're indeed confused about the term "superbike" which are 600/750/1000cc fully faired bikes with power between 100/160 Hp not really the kind of bikes you're looking at for a relaxed trip.

IMO a bike like Kawa KLX250/ Honda CRF250 ( or the motard versions ) will be just fine for you're planned trip, with a luggage rack you can take enough stuff, and these kind of off road bikes give you the freedom to ride almost any kind of surface.

The rainseason is as good as finished, so no need to worry about that, Actually Nov/Dec/Jan are the best months for such a trip.

You don't have to buy new for around 100k baht you will find a good secondhand one and that leaves you plenty of cash for gear and pocketmoney.

Enjoy you're trip!!

• Like 2

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get a second hand kawasaki er6f or n or honda cb500x.

You can buy second hand one with a proof of residence in to your name.

have a ncie trip and keep us posted if possible.

and forget a superbike, hard to travel, find parts etc.

Lots of possible options here, but one suggestion.

I'f you've never driven in Thailand, I'd stay away from the "super bikes" of 1000cc or more, and look for 250 - 500cc such as the CBR 250, CB500f or CB500x, and the Ninja 250 or 300. All of these have more than enough power for fast, fun riding, and are easy to handle in Thai traffic, where it seems like every drive is out to personally kill you. And with the road conditions you can encounter, even on the best roads, you don't want to be doing 160kph and suddenly be confronted with a piece of road missing that could totally demolish you and bike.

• Like 1

Can you recommend any good and trusted supplier in West Thailand? I'm currently travelling by train up to Bangkok.

I don't have any answers to your question's but would like to say:

Good Luck Wulf, i wish i was doing it.

If you only have a tourist visa I think you will not be able to own the bike, that is , have it registered in your own name. You would probably find it easier to hire a bike for two months.

You can register a vehicle even when on a visa waiver. All you need is a residence letter from immigration and a cooperating land transport officer or agency. I say that because I've see it done. However as you say, a long term rental agreement may be a better option.

First thanks for all your support! :-)

So rental will be not possible because I want to leave the country. So I need to get a residence letter. Is there any requirement?

Who is a cooparating transport officer? The motorbike supplier?

I planned to get a Honda motorbike.

I sold my old bike to someone who rode it through Laos, Cambodia and Indonesia and was kept in my name.

To get out of Thailand into Laos he required a contract from me stating i rented him the bike for a certain period of time, i think copies of the registration book was also required and most importantly you need to get a power of attorney releasing the actual owner of the bike from any type of liability.

By a used newish bike, if you resell at a discount you will sell it within a week.

I takes 2 days to transfer ownership if the bike already has plates.

Edited by KRS1

Well, you haven't left much time to sort this out. What you should look at is a big scooter like a Forza. Only 160000 baht, plenty of herbs to get you moving, Honda reliability, easy to resell, comfortable and with a large topbox you have loads of storage.

• Like 1

Tho some posts/replies have touched-on one or two of the obstacles ahead, perhaps bullet pointing would be less of a headache for you.

• Need to reside in Tryland in order to get 'residency' letter. Thus, 'unlikely' (didn't use the word impossible, coz TIT) you could get a bike in your name.
  • Buying a bike, but leaving in someone else's name would surely make it nigh-on impossible to get out of the country.
  • If renting, I'd strongly suggest getting all paperwork sorted (with support of renter) before you pay/embark on the journey; leave it till you want to cross borders, and you will probably be very disappointed.
  • Insurance could be tricky, but you wouldn't realize how tricky till you tried to make a claim.

Recommendations:

• Buy a bike where you live & get all paperwork/permits sorted before you leave.
  • Get in-touch with motorcycle touring companies (several in the north; some organize international tours) to ask if using their bike/admin for pre-determined solo touring is possible. OR just join their group.
  • Rent a bike in each country.

Sorry if it's straight to the point, but as is often the case, sincere advice you are given on the forum usually turns-out to be completely different from the reality of things, largely because different areas/offices/officials apply rules/laws differently...just the way it is.

Safe travels,

• Like 1

1) Get a real Visa from the consulate. These are 60+ day visas. Maybe get double or triple entry, but single is all that's needed.

2) Get a letter of residency. I actually suggest getting more than one while you're at it since you might find a reason to use another (like getting a Thai drivers license). It's normally a minor additional fee for extra paperwork. Letter of residency will require an address and lease. I had a Thai person give me a month to month lease agreement at their house for maybe 3,000 baht per month. I didn't pay them anything and I never spent a night over at the place. You just need something saying that you live somewhere.

3) Go buy the bike. The bike stores will all tell you exactly what you need. I do suggest buying new from a Honda dealer. You wont need to go more than a few blocks to find a repair shop for a Honda bike. If you get anything that's not Honda, you'll find repairs (like tires) to be at least a little bit harder. Anyways, the bike store will tell you what paperwork you need. Passport, residency, lots of cash, license, etc. You don't need to wait for plates or anything, just need that "green" book.

4) Stock up on a few parts that may be hard to find. Anyone in Thailand (like seriously, anyone) can fix a flat tire, but they might not have the tube for a larger bike. Anything that you could possibly think might need to be replaced without warning, bring an extra and maybe an extra beyond that. Consider tubeless tires but put a tube in them anyways. I've seen some people do this just to reduce the chance of popping a tire.

1) Get a real Visa from the consulate. These are 60+ day visas. Maybe get double or triple entry, but single is all that's needed.

2) Get a letter of residency. I actually suggest getting more than one while you're at it since you might find a reason to use another (like getting a Thai drivers license). It's normally a minor additional fee for extra paperwork. Letter of residency will require an address and lease. I had a Thai person give me a month to month lease agreement at their house for maybe 3,000 baht per month. I didn't pay them anything and I never spent a night over at the place. You just need something saying that you live somewhere.

3) Go buy the bike. The bike stores will all tell you exactly what you need. I do suggest buying new from a Honda dealer. You wont need to go more than a few blocks to find a repair shop for a Honda bike. If you get anything that's not Honda, you'll find repairs (like tires) to be at least a little bit harder. Anyways, the bike store will tell you what paperwork you need. Passport, residency, lots of cash, license, etc. You don't need to wait for plates or anything, just need that "green" book.

4) Stock up on a few parts that may be hard to find. Anyone in Thailand (like seriously, anyone) can fix a flat tire, but they might not have the tube for a larger bike. Anything that you could possibly think might need to be replaced without warning, bring an extra and maybe an extra beyond that. Consider tubeless tires but put a tube in them anyways. I've seen some people do this just to reduce the chance of popping a tire.

This...... and one should keep in mind that when buying a new bike it might take a few months before you get the license plate and proper documents. Maybe better buy a secondhand bike with all proper documents.

If the bike is not in your name you may have trouble getting it to leave Thailand for Laos or Cambodia. Same will probably be true for a rental bike.

I would go to a main Honda dealer and enquire about say a CBR250 and ask about ownership.

He Can't really by a new cbr250, since he will get a red licence plate (if any) for a month or two. That makes it impossible to leave the country as well...

A newly registered bike can be taken out of the country by the registered owner. See the land transport office and ask them for the appropriate paperwork.

That's the whole point. A bike delivered from a dealer with a red plate (or with no plate) is not registered yet. If you where to follow the law strictly, you are not even allowed to drive it outside the province you live in.

More info on red plates can be founde in this thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/35752-new-car-red-license-plates/

If the OP where to follow your advice and buy a new bike, I don't believe that he would be able to get the paperwork you are refering to from the land transport office without the green book (well I know that with the appropriate amount of tea Money almost anything can be done, but that's besides the point)

Why do you want a 'superbike'? all the locals ride small and every 'tinbasher' knows how to fix them, more up to date questions/answers can be found and asked on www.horizonsunlimited.com and good luck on your trip, and one big tip...TRAVEL LIGHT!. A friend of mine is buying in I think Maylasia a small Honda Wave and is travelling around SE Asia for about 10 weeks. Enjoy

Superbikes are pretty expensive. A new Honda Fireblade CBR1000RR will set you back 800K, a VFR1200 is 900K.

Top of the range Ducati is just under 2m and a BMW R S or K model will be over 1m.

Bearing in mind the state of the roads and the mindset of the drivers, you'll be lucky to survive 2 months on something like that.

A much more modest bike like an ER6 Kawasaki can be had for 200K plus you will need some luggage, which is not cheap.

That's the easy bit.

Crossing borders and all the import/export carry on is likely to be a huge nightmare and, with an expensive bike you may well be viewed as an easy target for additional 'fees' etc. Insurance is also likely to be complicated.

If you still want to do it, plan ahead. Its not something you can do on a whim.

Superbikes are pretty expensive. A new Honda Fireblade CBR1000RR will set you back 800K, a VFR1200 is 900K.

Top of the range Ducati is just under 2m and a BMW R S or K model will be over 1m.

Bearing in mind the state of the roads and the mindset of the drivers, you'll be lucky to survive 2 months on something like that.

A much more modest bike like an ER6 Kawasaki can be had for 200K plus you will need some luggage, which is not cheap.

That's the easy bit.

Crossing borders and all the import/export carry on is likely to be a huge nightmare and, with an expensive bike you may well be viewed as an easy target for additional 'fees' etc. Insurance is also likely to be complicated.

If you still want to do it, plan ahead. Its not something you can do on a whim.

Please read post # 3 concerning the definition of the word superbike.

Residence letter: unless the rules have changed, to get this you need to go to the immigration police with a signed rental agreement for your house.

If you are not residing here (just staying in a hotel) you may have a problem.

I have got multiple residence letters showing nothing more than a guesthouse receipt.

u are willing to go on a scooter......u have got to be kidding.............go up to chaingmai ........their are some shops their...........get a 500 cc.........Honda xr or similar and put some bags on the back......as long as u are not going big miles it will be good...........ur post is confusing........first u say u want a superbike.........? then u are willing to use a scooter? are u for real? get a bike that can be maintained easily in lao, etc...........if it were me I would be considering the Honda or kaw 250 dirt bike street legal.............(I wish they made a bigger one but they don't sell one at this time.......im waiting for them to come out with a 500 cc...............I have a ktm 690 enduro in usa.............but in bkk where they sell them they are silly expensive.......maybe u could rent one of those............

I would buy a second hand cbr250r. Can buy an excellent one for between 70 and 80k bht and sell with a minimal loss when time to go home.

If you get a big bike it can take months to sell unless you are prepared to get rid of it at a big loss for a quick sale.

I would buy a second hand cbr250r. Can buy an excellent one for between 70 and 80k bht and sell with a minimal loss when time to go home.

If you get a big bike it can take months to sell unless you are prepared to get rid of it at a big loss for a quick sale.

I like my ninja 650 a lot more more as my cbr but you are right plus its easier to find someone able to fix a cbr250 then a bigger bike.

Hili said:

I would go for a second hand Honda CB500X should be around 180-190k which is around 4500 euro.

I sold my Honda motorbike just because I have some problems in it's engine. It is just 2 years old and still looks handsome.

So it is not wise to buy second hand ones. They may sell it because there is a problem in it.

Contact my good friend Colin on his website

http://www.captainslash.com/ Go to the "About" page and scroll down to the bottom to send a message.

He's travelled all over Thailand on motorbikes he's bought and sold. He only comes on a tourist visa.

He arrived in Thailand yesterday (29th) and is spending 2 months in Thailand and 3 months in Malaysia. He knows all about crossing the border on a motorbike.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

The paperwork and the hoops you will jump through for ownership of a bike in Thai with a tourist visa will drive you nuts (for the most part) but can be done. This is the Land Of Smiles and The Land of Private Deals. an extra few baht will help grease the wheels. But it really should not be that difficult in the end. Besides, being a rider means that you do not let anything stand in the way.

But I agree, maybe a rental is a better option. You can find some good deals out there and again, make a deal with them.

As for a new bike.... have a look at the Lifans or the Keeways. Both are good bikes for the time you want one. Each will be okay on the terrible roads (usually unpaved) in Laos and filled with holes (Cambodia and Laos). Both are more or less copies of the Honda (major components) and I have never had an issue with either that could not be fixed by a roadside repair guy. These bikes are cheaper than any and though not really up to Honda (or the others) standards in some of their build quality, they will do the job and start every morning... lol!

So in short, I can be done. But be patient with the system here of getting things done. It will seem illogical from time to time, but in the end for some reason it will work out. It is better not to figure out why... just go with the flow and have a great trip!

The paperwork and the hoops you will jump through for ownership of a bike in Thai with a tourist visa will drive you nuts (for the most part) but can be done. This is the Land Of Smiles and The Land of Private Deals. an extra few baht will help grease the wheels. But it really should not be that difficult in the end. Besides, being a rider means that you do not let anything stand in the way.

But I agree, maybe a rental is a better option. You can find some good deals out there and again, make a deal with them.

As for a new bike.... have a look at the Lifans or the Keeways. Both are good bikes for the time you want one. Each will be okay on the terrible roads (usually unpaved) in Laos and filled with holes (Cambodia and Laos). Both are more or less copies of the Honda (major components) and I have never had an issue with either that could not be fixed by a roadside repair guy. These bikes are cheaper than any and though not really up to Honda (or the others) standards in some of their build quality, they will do the job and start every morning... lol!

So in short, I can be done. But be patient with the system here of getting things done. It will seem illogical from time to time, but in the end for some reason it will work out. It is better not to figure out why... just go with the flow and have a great trip!

If he is going to cambodia or Laos the last bike in the world I would want to be on is a Chinese bike Better to get a REAL Honda & be able to get parts readily available. Going through Sispon in Cambodia I could see parts falling off a Keeway . Some parts of the road are bad for taxis autos & buses let alone a bike. I think I would go with the tried & true & the OP has the funds for an enjoyable trip. Not sure in Laos but if he goes to Cambodia an Enduro style 500 may serve him much better. That & a Honda 500 would be a real Honda & reliable compared to a maybe it will be good enough copy of a copy bike. Kinda like a repair on an auto fender with an aftermarket part....It never fits quite right.

Edited by Beardog