Real New York Cheesecake

cm222222

I found an excellent, authentic NY cheesecake (thick, heavy, dry-ish, not like the “light” “fluffy” versions that pass for cheesecake in CM). The creator is a Thai chef-owner of a little place called “The Meeting Room Art Café”, located on Charoen Rat directly across from Wat Kate (and very close to where the old footbridge was). She loves to bake, only uses high-quality ingredients, and everything she makes is great. I also highly recommend the white chocolate raspberry bars. Delicious!

• Like 2

Someone from New York that knows a lot about food told me that real New York cheesecake is not really heavy and dry-ish, although that is the way that I remember it on the West coast., I much prefer the “light” “fluffy” stuff, but this sounds great for those who prefer heavy and dry-ish.

Have you tried the New York cheesecake at Butter is Better? I thought that it was pretty good, but, as I said, I am not crazy about the type that you are describing.

Someone from New York that knows a lot about food told me that real New York cheesecake is not really heavy and dry-ish, although that is the way that I remember it on the West coast., I much prefer the “light” “fluffy” stuff, but this sounds great for those who prefer heavy and dry-ish.

Have you tried the New York cheesecake at Butter is Better? I thought that it was pretty good, but, as I said, I am not crazy about the type that you are describing.

I'm with you I prefer a light cheesecake. The New York style sounds extremely heavy and glugy, hard to swallow and a heart attack waiting for the green light. I don't like my cheese cakes to grip the side of my throat as they fight not to be swallowed.

" New York Cheesecake Recipe & Video ", from Joy of Baking website.

" New York Cheesecakes are creamy, and smooth, and rich, and dense, and absolutely delicious. This cheesecake has three layers, starting with a graham cracker crumb crust that is topped with a cream cheese filling, and then a layer of lightly sweetened sour cream. There are two popular cheesecakes in America today, the ones made with cream cheese (shown here) and the ones made with ricotta. John Mariani tells us in his The Dictionary of American Food & Drink that Americans have come to know cheesecakes made with cream cheese as 'New York' or 'Jewish' Cheesecakes, and ones made with ricotta as 'Italian' Cheesecakes, with both types having their roots in immigrant New York City neighborhoods. "

Of course, anyone paying with their own money and putting the cheesecake in their own mouth should feel free to choose whatever cheesecake they prefer. biggrin.png Myself, I'm trying to get my gut to shrink instead of expand, hence I must stay away from yummy cheesecake. sad.png

Don't trust joy of cooking.

First of all traditional NY cheesecake didn't have sour cream that is Philliadelphia style.

But overall, why not just call it cheesecake. You don't get a philly cheestake in Philly, you just get a cheese steak. You don't eat brazil nuts in brazil, you just eat nuts.

The cheese cake might be good, which it is at many places that I have eaten, but you can only get NY cheesecake in NY.

Did you know that by adding a name to food it is an advertising ploy only. Chillean Sea bass sounds different than just sea bass, but I would bet that you wouldn't be able to tell east coast atlantic sea bass from chillean.

But go on and add your locations to your food and convince others that it is the same.

Oh! Stop it you guys! I am trying (sometimes very trying) to cut back and do not need mouth watering descriptions that will be with me all day. Ah well looks like another trip to the local PTT and a coffee and cake at Amazon's.

Just recently bought a blueberry cheesecake from the pie place on the way back from Mae Sai......

Can't believe I ate the whole thing.....

If you have lived a good and happy life , don't worry about the gut....... you die, you die..... let your pall bearers worry about it. If they can't carry you,,,,, get two more....

If you done good during your time..... reward yourself..... be happy, be content.

• Like 1

Don't trust joy of cooking.

First of all traditional NY cheesecake didn't have sour cream that is Philliadelphia style.

But overall, why not just call it cheesecake. You don't get a philly cheestake in Philly, you just get a cheese steak. You don't eat brazil nuts in brazil, you just eat nuts.

The cheese cake might be good, which it is at many places that I have eaten, but you can only get NY cheesecake in NY.

Did you know that by adding a name to food it is an advertising ploy only. Chillean Sea bass sounds different than just sea bass, but I would bet that you wouldn't be able to tell east coast atlantic sea bass from chillean.

But go on and add your locations to your food and convince others that it is the same.

Plenty of real New York Cheesecakes are made with sour cream. That's the kind I prefer. Others are made with heavy cream. I never had Philadelphia style cheesecake. There is Philadelphia cream cheese which makes a good cheesecake because it has vegetable gum in it. But you can get other brands that have vegetable gum and have a flavor and feel that's pretty much indistinguishable from Philadelphia cream cheese; especially once it's been mixed and baked. As for being able to get NY cheesecake only in New York, why is that? Is there something special in the water? You can get all the ingredients here that you get in New York to make a real NY cheesecake. We used to make an 100 percent authentic NY cheesecake. Then we gave in to the complaints of Thais and substituted butter cookie crumbs for graham cracker crumbs. Sales took off. Actually we made our own graham cracker crumbs which are more authentic than what Nabisco now makes.The quality of that product has gone way downhill. We still make our own sour cream which has a lot more flavor than the commercial American variety. Not only is it repasteurized to kill the culture and give it a long shelf life, but it's a different flavor from the traditional Eastern European kind which is what traditional NY cheesecake makers used if they used sour cream.

As for sea bass. I used to shop for seafood for restaurants at the Fulton Fish Market in New York. I also used to fish for Black Sea Bass (I assume this is what you are referring to as "east coast atlantic sea bass") off the Connecticut coast. Chilean sea bass is nothing like Black Sea Bass or, for that matter, European Sea bass. The Chilean Sea Bass has super rich meat. So rich it's often used as a substitute for snowfish. The other two "basses" are quite lean. Also, Chilean sea bass is an endangered species and shouldn't be eaten by anyone who is not a sea creature.

Edited by butterisbetter
  • Like 2

In the 1960s I was a dog's body in the exec office of the New York Yankees. The press conferences were held in Reuben's Restaurant (of sandwich fame) on the 1st floor. We office folks go the leftovers. Heavy, dry and with a wonderful golden crust. To me that will always be New York cheese cake.

200 Baht per slice ! ! ! does it come with a gift certificate for 2 free slices of the same ? Where is this place anyhow???? ,,,,, but to be fair...... is one slice half the pie ?

Let's hope that's not for real or else another "Sticker Shock" thread similar to the one complaining about The Duke's pricing might break out.

Edited by AngelsLariat