Is Burglary That Common Where You Are?

ChrisB87

So, after reading a current thread about Thai people often having dog about the property, i started wondering how common are burglaries?

My partner assures me that Thai people like keeping dogs to "take care of the house" in case of burglary.

So, just how common is it?

Has it happened to you or anyone you know?

Edited by ChrisB87

Not so much burglary but opportunistic theft. A neighbour had her purse pinched out of her kitchen once.

My house was left wide open for two and half years up here in the sticks. Nothing had been taken.

It was like burglary in reverse. I came back to a new kettle and a new rice cooker! Still to this day don't know who did that.

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1

We were burgled earlier this year (end of March) - just a quick in grab and go. Lost a new IPad and a BlackBerry Bold (both on charge down stairs) and a laptop kids watched movies on. All happened during the day while we were in, upstairs - the door was closed but unlocked (which is rare we pretty much always lock it!) - never heard anything, but the room (downstairs) was only unoccupied for 10 minutes, so very opportunistic I think.

//Edit: Oh btw that's Chiang Mai - Hang Dong

Edited by wolf5370

Not so much burglary but opportunistic theft. A neighbour had her purse pinched out of her kitchen once.

My house was left wide open for two and half years up here in the sticks. Nothing had been taken.

It was like burglary in reverse. I came back to a new kettle and a new rice cooker! Still to this day don't know who did that.

The people who did that were the people that borrowed your house for two and a half years free of rent, so they thought they would leave something for you as presents !

• Like 1

The people who did that were the people that borrowed your house for two and a half years free of rent, so they thought they would leave something for you as presents !

I'd not have minded to be honest, the place needs to be lived in.

A couple of months ago, around 8 at night, I heard something going on around the front door. Someone was trying to get in and successfully pried open the wooden outer door but were stymied by the metal screen door. When I heard it, I came storming downstairs with a butcher's knife and the would be robbers ran away. I fully intended to use the weapon and by the time I hit the ground floor I was really ramped up. Cost me 500 baht to repair the lock on the wooden door. Still makes me mad. Because I would like to take every baht out of the hide of the robber.

heh, ummmm..... no, I think I'm pretty safe where I am. :)

Around here, everyone has a sign out front showing their address, plus name and usually occupation too. Assuming the occupation they list is true, I have a police Majors, Captains, Sergeants here, plus city councilors, headmasters, TAT guys, immigration guys, etc. I'm pretty confident the thieves just go find another sub-division to rob.

BTW, I did forget to mention that the neighbor across the street said the same robbers that attacked my door also tried to break into his house and some others in the village. His four dogs stopped them. According to the same neighbor, the suspicion is that the robbers are actually our village's old security guards, who were replaced with cameras. Whatever, the village is back to having guards at checkpoints again.

Yes at the last place we rented we think but could not prove the landlords driver climbed up to the 2nd floor into the spare bedroom while we were asleep in the next room went down stairs and stole my partners brand new lap top did not take any thing but that for there were other stuff hanging around but just left it and took the lap top. It was only 7 days new. Needless to say we got the cops but nothing happened so we moved out been in our new place 2 and half years no probs but we now have 2 dogs so yes it does happen.

Except for some money/ motorbike thefts by 2 teenagers (and everyone knows who) brains are not very common here. But there are roving gangs who travel to villages. In the last week 12 dogs have been poisoned, so we are expecting some thefts. People are keeping their motorbikes inside, pumps from the farms are carried home each day and people are sleeping in the fields because the last time this happened several pumps, motorbikes , etc were stolen. The sleeping in the field is because 2 years ago, several crops were harvested at night and the owners came to an empty field in the morning.

Sent from my i-mobile i-style 7.1 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My brother in law asked why I don't put the iron bars on the outside of my windows. I explained that if I wanted to live in prison, I'd go to a bank with a gun.

He thinks I'm weird.

No problem with burglary, got nothing worth robbing and got a dog.

Edited by naboo

In the nine years I have been here, I have never heard of a burglary in the village, as the villagers are mostly members of the same families, everyone watches out for everyone else. I have no dogs, leave a lot of items out at night and never have lost anything, if we see strangers at the neighbor house or strange vehicles we always check on what they are doing, as the neighbors also watch our house, sort of like a LOS neighborhood watch!

Cheers:wai2.gif

• Like 1

I will say is as quite common than back home. I have few funny story about it.

Just one: few years ago, a good thai friend was living in an apartment. One day he just left his place for 10 minutes,

just enough time to go downstair to 7-eleven, and then come back to his room.

Back he realized that his tv was gone... you know this is the old television with a huge tube.

He did ask to the manager, if he didnt see anyone coming out of the building with a tvcheesy.gif

No, nobody, it was certainly one of his neighbor who did please himself.

another story for later

Edited by Bender

If you are a Farmer ... it's very common to have a sleep-out near the crop or the pond.

Thais do like to assist themselves to some free food ... whistling.gif

The Farms have their fair share of dogs.

As for material things, the only thing noticed that was taken was a battery and the thief came via the canal at the back of the FarmHouse.

Edited by David48

heh, ummmm..... no, I think I'm pretty safe where I am. smile.png

Around here, everyone has a sign out front showing their address, plus name and usually occupation too. Assuming the occupation they list is true, I have a police Majors, Captains, Sergeants here, plus city councilors, headmasters, TAT guys, immigration guys, etc. I'm pretty confident the thieves just go find another sub-division to rob.

Sounds like the perfect place to rob...I'd start employing those Monkeys you have roaming around your Utopia as security!!!

heh, ummmm..... no, I think I'm pretty safe where I am. smile.png

Sounds like someone around there is making a good living selling those fake address/occupation signs just like in the USA where you can buy these phony signs like this:

http://hithechsecurity.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/wpid-51onkqwf4ol.jpg