Dep Russian Hon Consul 'willing to forgive' drunk Russian for rampage on Phuket

webfact

Dep Russian Hon Consul 'willing to forgive' drunk Russian for rampage on Phuket
Zazithorn Ruengchinda

ru.jpg
Santi Udomkiratak, Deputy Honorary Consul for the Russian Federation on Phuket.

PHUKET: -- Santi Udomkiratak, Deputy Honorary Consul for the Russian Federation, says he's 'upset, but willing to forgive' Russian man Oleg Fomenko for smashing a monk statue at Wat Karon last week.

Russian man Oleg Fomenko was arrested after he went on a drunken escapade early last Wednesday morning – smashing an abbot statue at Wat Karon and using a crowbar to smash the window of a truck he tried to steal.

A protest was held at Wat Karon last weekend, with locals demanding Fomenko to apologise in the presence of the statue for his actions. Locals said if he didn’t do it within seven days, they will blockage the Karon Police Station.

As Fomenko is currently being held in custody, residents said they wanted the court to release him to be able to visit the Wat to apologise. If he wasn’t able to do so, then they called for a Russian Embassy representative to do so on his behalf.

Mr Santi told The Phuket News he had spoken to those at the Russian Embassy and he would visit Fomenko in custody on Monday.

“As a Buddhist myself, of course I’m not very pleased. It’s very disrespectful, but I’m willing to forgive, but of course I’m upset about it.

“I will let the justice system do its job. He was taken to the main Phuket jail because the police are worried this man will get beaten up by people who are still very upset about this incident. For Buddhist people it is a big deal – they consider this very disrespectful.”

The cost of the damage to the statue and the car was estimated at B310,000, Mr Santi said.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/dep-russian-hon-consul-willing-to-forgive-drunk-russian-for-rampage-on-phuket-42634.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-10-31

He should aplogise of his own free will and pay ofr the damage. If he claims he can't pay he should be hled until his friends / family rally round.

The authorities should be intolerant of yobbish behaviour, "high end" tourists like this should be discouarged from coming here.

• Like 1

Willing to forgive.....why???

Because the russian does not remember a thing of what happened???

But then people might remember this forgiveness... A forgiveness that can bring back here people whose main purpose is to drink themselves into a state of stupor...

How about all those drivers who kill and maim in Thailand ? can they come and apologise to all the dead and maimed..................its a statue nothing more, a lump of stone, and I like the way they will blockade the Police station........pathetic mob rule as usual.

I would think this tourist should, of his own choice, offer a sincere apology and offer to pay restitution for the damage he did. Replace the damaged statue, and ask forgiveness from those he so deeply offended.

No he shouldn't. He should be prosecuted to the full. He tried to steal a truck whilst drunk and could have killed one or more people.

"Forgive" in this case does not mean forget, is my guess. Of course he should suffer the consequences for his low life behavior, but perhaps Santis message is not to let anger get a hold of you during the process. Give him a fair trial, then hang him... with love. Or a rope. Which ever is more available.

"Forgive" in this case does not mean forget, is my guess. Of course he should suffer the consequences for his low life behavior, but perhaps Santis message is not to let anger get a hold of you during the process. Give him a fair trial, then hang him... with love. Or a rope. Which ever is more available.

I find one problem on letting this guy go and appologise in person,is that the crowd will over run the police and beat this guy, he may deserve it, but doesnt most religions preach forgiveness, then sentence him for the damage and attempted theft that he deserves to be done for, no more and no less

How about all those drivers who kill and maim in Thailand ? can they come and apologise to all the dead and maimed..................its a statue nothing more, a lump of stone, and I like the way they will blockade the Police station........pathetic mob rule as usual.

Not sure how one ties in with the other.

If a Thai went to the Vatican and destroyed an altar before trying to steal the popemobile, there would be one hell of a stink. And to be honest, your post makes me think that you would be the first to fly off your handle.

• Like 1

If a Thai went to the Vatican and destroyed an altar before trying to steal the popemobile, there would be one hell of a stink. And to be honest, your post makes me think that you would be the first to fly off your handle.

A Thai stabs a 70 year old man in the news and gets a 500 baht fine, does that put this into perspective for you??

Its a lump of stone and a broken truck no one injured no one dead.........................but oh my, we have damaged a lump of stone.

No I wouldnt fly off the handle, they could destroy the Vatican for all I cared hideous symbol of religious oppression for eons.

IS this the Buddhist way? arent they not supposed to value any material object?

Thai Buddhism makes me laugh it really does.

Edited by kannot

A Thai stabs a 70 year old man in the news and gets a 500 baht fine, does that put this into perspective for you??

Its a lump of stone and a broken truck no one injured no one dead.........................but oh my, we have damaged a lump of stone.

No I wouldnt fly off the handle, they could destroy the Vatican for all I cared hideous symbol of religious oppression for eons.

One only needs to read posts like this to understand why Thais have changed so much over the years.
I kannot help but wonder what this 'person' would think if some foreigner came to his country and destroyed an object that he devotedly respected. Which in his case would probably be a can of beer or a statue of himself.
Considering his contempt for Thais, Buddhists, and apparently everyone else besides himself, he might be better off visiting a country where they think more like he does. Though I do hold out hope that such a place doesn't yet exist.
Anyhow, against my better judgement I've fed the troll. Sometimes it just feels good… smile.pngsmile.png

One only needs to read posts like this to understand why Thais have changed so much over the years.
I kannot help but wonder what this 'person' would think if some foreigner came to his country and destroyed an object that he devotedly respected. Which in his case would probably be a can of beer or a statue of himself.
Considering his contempt for Thais, Buddhists, and apparently everyone else besides himself, he might be better off visiting a country where they think more like he does. Though I do hold out hope that such a place doesn't yet exist.
Anyhow, against my better judgement I've fed the troll. Sometimes it just feels good… smile.pngsmile.png

Maybe Russia is the place for him, there they think like him.