Abhisit and Suthep acknowledge charges by public prosecutor

Lite Beer

POLITICS
Abhisit and Suthep acknowledge charges by public prosecutor

BANGKOK: -- Opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva and his deputy Suthep Thaugsuban appeared at the Attorney General Office Thursday to acknowledge indictment in their connection with the 2010 political upheaval in Bangkok.

Abhisit was prime minister during the months-long demonstration by Red Shirt protesters while Suthep was deputy prime minister and director of the Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation - specially set up to deal with demonstrators mainly at Bangkok's business centre of Rajprasong.

The public prosecutor charged the pair with ordering the authorities to commit offences in killing people and premeditated murder during the political rally, led by the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship or Red Shirt faction.

Abhisit said an official indictment against them would need the court's approval since he and Suthep, both members of Parliament, were legally protected from trial or arrest during a parliamentary session.

The present session ends in December and the public prosecutor decided to postpone the official indictment to December 12.

Abhisit said all factions should respect the judicial system, and called on the government to stop pressing for the passage of the Amnesty Bill and concentrate on solving the people's problems.

"I agree that the 2010 political incident resulted in losses and a fact-finding process should be encouraged. Mr Suthep and I are ready to go through the process and prove ourselves," he said.

"We stand firm that we will strongly oppose the Amnesty Bill both inside and outside Parliament. Mr Suthep will organise an activity to protest against the bill," he said.

Regarding a Pheu Thai MP's call for the pair to resign from Parliament, the former prime minister said there were many other government-spearheaded legislations including a Constitution amendment which he would have to fight against in Parliament.

He said he would wait until the public prosecutor formally indicted them after which they would file a lawsuit against the Attorney General.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-31

Now we have heard his side of story. Can we also hear the PM's side of story about the current state of affair? What...She is not around? She is busy "shopping" in Lopburi and Singburi, even during this trying time of uniting her people together (thus this amnesty bill)?

Only in Thailand! How can someone be elected into the prime minister position but be so negligent and ignorant about the responsibility and the sacrifice that she needs to make?

• Like 2

Has the A.G.'s office checked to whether there are currently any intentional sporting events on the calendar that the two charged individuals may have a desire to view?biggrin.png

Oh sorry, the last international sports fan was actually a convicted felon who added bail jumping to his C.V. along with a hobby of being a ''born again liar.''

• Like 2

The first signs of dignity in Thai politics.

This could be the start of something new.

Dignity? Claiming parliamentary immunity and then then threatening to sue the Attorney General. Yes he took that well, very dignified.

This from a man who refused to ban one of his MP's Kanchit Thapsuwan from parliament who had been charged with pre meditated murder following the shooting of a PTP Candidates son.

Of course, nothing heard since the indictment back in July 2012.

• Like 2

Only in Thailand! How can someone be elected into the prime minister position but be so negligent and ignorant about the responsibility and the sacrifice that she needs to make?

Oh the agony of those confounded mobile cabinet meetings along with all those tiresome debates concerning my puppet master brother along with all those vexing questions I have to keep calling big brother about so as he can answer for me .

my ears ache from the constant phone calls let alone the bills for those calls and worst of all it plays havoc with ones shopping expeditions in foreign places too.

Yingluck :Now let me see, driver can you take me to eeeeeerr????

Driver you mean: Parliament madam?

Yingluck : Oh yes it's that big place isn't it that has people in it at times and I am told i have a nice chair there too.

Do you and your peers ever realise how tired and childish these "jokes" come across as?

• Like 1

The public prosecutor charged the pair with ordering the authorities to commit offences in killing people and premeditated murder during the political rally, led by the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship or Red Shirt faction.

I am just wondering what the army was doing taking orders from someone that wasn't acting in an official capacity.

• Like 1

I am just wondering what the army was doing taking orders from someone that wasn't acting in an official capacity.

I am just wondering what the police were was doing taking orders from someone that wasn't acting in an official capacity.whistling.gif

• Like 2

fab4 post # 7

Do you and your peers ever realise how tired and childish these "jokes" come across as?

You are of course referring to your own comments along with the commands of you and your camp followers that you all must be replied to and listened too as well.

Methinks you come to post here as court jesters are no longer in demand anywhere else in the world.

Certainly your comments as do those of your camp followers cause much mirth and merriment to many of us.

• Like 1

fab4 post # 7

You are of course referring to your own comments along with the commands of you and your camp followers that you all must be replied to and listened too as well.

Methinks you come to post here as court jesters are no longer in demand anywhere else in the world.

Certainly your comments as do those of your camp followers cause much mirth and merriment to many of us.

They are appreciated in places of servitude/feudalism and general communitarianism; like China, Cambodia, and places in Africa, North Korea, to name a few.

Edited by gemini81
  • Like 1

Wonder away. No doubt we'll find out why abhisit and sutheps signatures were on the orders when the court is in session. Suthep was not even an MP but he was still Director of CRES.

• Like 1

Wonder away. No doubt we'll find out why abhisit and sutheps signatures were on the orders when the court is in session. Suthep was not even an MP but he was still Director of CRES.

I am sure they signed things, but they've been charged in a personal capacity, not in their official capacity.

Dignity? Claiming parliamentary immunity and then then threatening to sue the Attorney General. Yes he took that well, very dignified.

This from a man who refused to ban one of his MP's Kanchit Thapsuwan from parliament who had been charged with pre meditated murder following the shooting of a PTP Candidates son.

I believe that you should be VERY careful when you go this way. It might very well backfire and you might find out that your heroes are way, a long way below your "dignity" standards...Ex: jumping bail and running away, or being the father of a guy who killed a cop and is now in the Thai police, etc....

• Like 1

The interesting part is in the details. In an Inquest a court can and must concentrate on a specific case, like "man killed, who did it". Any circumstantial evidence is irrelevant for the inquest. Now the inquests came out with "most likely killed by soldiers under orders of the CRES". It's the public prosecutor who has to weight the inquest result with any evidence he has available to decide on a charge, what charge and the likelihood of getting a verdict confirming the charge.

The court has to look at the charge and at first only check the proper procedures have not only been followed, but also correctly, do a quick check on the material the PP gives them to check it's relevant and decide to accept or reject the charge.

Assuming all is well and the charge accepted, the defense may come up with any information which it deems relevant including circumstancial data. That includes MiB, armed militants within the UDD / red-shirt ranks, video clips, etc., etc. Some really seems to show the premeditated part is on the peaceful anti-government protesters.

All in all it seems the PP is more concerned with tarnishing the name and reputation of two people than anything else. Note that the PP can charge and follow through a trial on premeditated murder, but the charges will not be processed in parallel but the result of the first trial will determine the rest. The PP will only get one chance and he has to be very sure he can get a conviction as failure will damage all following cases.

Just my view as non-lawyer.

(PP = Public Prosecutor)

I am sure they signed things, but they've been charged in a personal capacity, not in their official capacity.

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

Well, the word "childish" should be applied to YL. They have obviously elected a "child" to do a man's job!

I sincerely wish that she could stop being the butt of all jokes if she can actually sit her butt down in the parliament and do whatever she was elected to do! Maybe she can shed that "joke" image that she has brought upon herself!

Edited by huanga

I believe that you should be VERY careful when you go this way. It might very well backfire and you might find out that your heroes are way, a long way below your "dignity" standards...Ex: jumping bail and running away, or being the father of a guy who killed a cop and is now in the Thai police, etc....

Who are my heroes? You haven't a clue.

Not guilty until convicted. You know, like Thaksin, Not guilty of all those outstanding criminal charges, only guilty of the fraud he's been convicted and sentenced for.

Ok, but the majority of Thai people's (Not bankorians) still know what damages they has done to Thailand! Responsible for order "crack down" responsible for killing 92 people. Inderect responsible to block main Air-ports and put Thailand in a very dangerous situation, this together there's cronys PAD

• Like 1

Well he certainly has honesty if not dignity, something that PTP & some of their acolytes don't possess.

Here is a summary of a Bangkok Post article from yesterday:

The cabinet has approved a 10-million-baht budget to award bonuses to staff of the Office of the Attorney-General (OAG).

he is well within his rights to sue their arse off.

• Like 2

fab4 post # 7

Well said!

Who are my heroes? You haven't a clue.

cheesy.gif

What a load of utter crap ! I am pretty sure they never said 'Make sure you kill some people right lads ?' And the AG gets an extra 10 million baht to put in their pockets the next day, stinks of bribery to me. Seeems the bunch of crooks have given up trying to appear legit and just assuming they will be able to get away with whatever they want. Might be time to move on soon sadly :(

Ok, but the majority of Thai people's (Not bankorians) still know what damages they has done to Thailand! Responsible for order "crack down" responsible for killing 92 people. Inderect responsible to block main Air-ports and put Thailand in a very dangerous situation, this together there's cronys PAD

Responsible for 92 killings?

The fact that you think Abhisit and Suthep must even take the blame for deaths of soldiers killed by rioters, shows just how deeply you have been sucked in the red propaganda machine.