Cleaning/sealing rusty fuel tank

stefan2519

I tried a couple of handfull of marbles in the tank and drive around method, it works slowly but clogs up the feul filter very fast

and they are a bugger to get out again.

Next was electrolysis.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/70515-fuel-tank-rust-removal-electrolysis-rust-proofing.html

Works well but after 2 days I had to give the kitchen sink back to she who must be obeyed

never did find any " POR " or "Kreem" sealer.

post-2109-0-37745200-1383204188_thumb.jppost-2109-0-22848300-1383204469_thumb.jppost-2109-0-51294000-1383204489_thumb.jp

Edited by johng

I tried a couple of handfull of marbles in the tank and drive around method, it works slowly but clocks up the feul filter very fast

and they are a bugger to get out again.

Next was electrolysis.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/70515-fuel-tank-rust-removal-electrolysis-rust-proofing.html

Works well but after 2 days I had to give the kitchen sink back to she who must be obeyed

never did find any " POR " or "Kreem" sealer.

attachicon.gifrust before .JPGattachicon.gifSAM_0041 (Medium).JPGattachicon.gifnot alot of rust AFTER .JPG

It looks good after the finished result...

I was going to do the sand, stones and Benzine....but it seems a lot of hard work.

Usually, this is were the Thais are good...must have something floating around ideal for the job..

I like the electrolysis idea....It said wait at least 2 days on the method I read.

sand, stones and Benzine would indeed be very hard work unless of course you have a cement mixer or front loading washing machine

to stick it in.

I let my electrolysis run for 2 days..beware that the electrolite can damage paint and it does bubble out quite a bit so protect paint

with vaselene or some heavy duty grease before starting.

Hey,

Just rusty....kinda gunky too.

Assuming it is a separate tank, I would try some Fab laundry detergent in water and a bag of marbles or a handful of nuts, as in nuts and bolts, and give it a good shake or three. The advantage of nuts is that they can be retrieved with a magnet on a stick.

Then you have to keep the tank filled otherwise it will go rusty very quickly.

Where do you live? In BKK there are a couple good bike restorers that might know something.

POR-15 is what you need and there won't be many shops, if any, in Bangkok that stock it. Check the web.

I never used marbles in a tank, just a handful of bolts, nuts, screws and washers from the no longer used tin! Small ones. 'The no longer used tin' was really called the sh1t tin as all the SAE, Whitworth, broken, damaged and odd size bolts, nuts, screws and washers ended up in there. It was originally a 60 L oil drum. But I digress.

The bolts, nuts, screws and washers do a good job of loosening the scale. You need half a handful each side. But like has been said your filter will get hammered!

Doing the Por-15 as per the instructions is the key.