Ceiling height, how high is to high?...

Since cool air goes down, you don't actually have to cool the whole height. Mount your A/C unit at about 2.5m then, provided you don't stir the air in the upper space with a big fan, it will stratify.

• Like 1

Aircon is only needed to cool the lower 1.5 - 2 meters.

The high ceiling gives more room for the hot air to go to.

I have lived in a few houses with high ceilings and they were cool without airconditioning when they have some vents to let out the rising hot air.

Cleaning the ceilings however is a difficult task.

I have settled in my own design for a ceiling height of 3.60m.

Since cool air goes down, you don't actually have to cool the whole height. Provided you don't stir the air in the upper space with a big fan it will stratify.

In a perfect situation I agree. Where are air cons generally located in a room? Next to the ceiling?

I have lived in a few houses with high ceilings and they were cool without airconditioning when they have some vents to let out the rising hot air.

I stand corrected.

why not make it 4.0M?

Aircons are generally placed 2m high on the wall.

High ceiling rooms often are bigger. You do have some interchange between cold and hot air so it does increase your airconditioning bill. But it will be only about 10-20%.

As soon as you do not have vents and use fans to help circulate the room then the aircon will be on a lot longer.

I choose 3.60 because most building material comes in increments of 60 cm (or 125cm).

Edited by Khun Jean

Technically, each ceiling height should structurally be the same as every floor in the building i.e. high rise condo, if you wish to avoid the risk of the top-heavy factor which Is a leading cause of buildings toppling during earthquakes. Consult a structural-engineer, if you wish to mitigate this risk, as no standards relating to this factor apply in Thailand.

Technically, each ceiling height should structurally be the same as every floor in the building i.e. high rise condo, if you wish to avoid the risk of the top-heavy factor which Is a leading cause of buildings toppling during earthquakes. Consult a structural-engineer, if you wish to mitigate this risk, as no standards relating to this factor apply in Thailand.

I think the OP is looking at the design of a suspended ceiling, and not the structural floor to floor height.

• Like 1

The ceiling in my living room is 5.3 meter high, Cathedral style, and I have 3 fans at 2.7 meter high as well as 2 x 18000 Btu aircons. Living room is 8.7 x 5.4.

The most I have used in the 2 years I'm living is the fans at the lowest speed. Never have used the aircons so far.

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 2

Use stilts while cleaning the ceiling! Works for methumbsup.gif

BBB

Haven't you noticed yet that many Thai's, my wife included, do not clean anything above their line of sight The stove and counter tops immaculate, the top of the fridge is another story!

• Like 1

perfect for me are 3.60m but i also like JBrain's high living room ceiling. my home in Germany was a "gallery house" slanting from 3m to 8.60m. American and Thai home have both 3.60 ceilings except for two passages which would look very odd if they were higher than wide.

Use stilts while cleaning the ceiling! Works for methumbsup.gif

BBB

cleaning ceilings??? w00t.gif

The ceiling in my living room is 5.3 meter high, Cathedral style, and I have 3 fans at 2.7 meter high as well as 2 x 18000 Btu aircons. Living room is 8.7 x 5.4.

The most I have used in the 2 years I'm living is the fans at the lowest speed. Never have used the aircons so far.

i assume you don't like more than one team of aircon technicians working at the same time in your home? wink.png

• Like 1

i assume you don't like more than one team of aircon technicians working at the same time in your home? wink.png

How you know Naam. Currently I have technicians from 2 different aircon brands performing warranty jobs at my place. biggrin.png

So far no fan company had to come around for any issues

We have 3m to the top of the walls but then no ceiling so a further 3m to the apex. Basically an open roof to the tiles.

The inside is lined with silver foil stuff and plaster board but it helps the air flow, keeps cool and looks impressive.

attachicon.gifSNC01783.jpg

What your picture shows is half of a cathedral ceiling. Plaster board is what is called a ceiling.

• Like 1