Phuket woman transfers over 2 million baht to alleged Facebook scammer

webfact

I hope the cops trace where she got the cash!

Big story in the Thai papers, with her photo. She recently sold some land in Rawai for 10 million baht.

Something fishy about this story, maybe some friends of her is behind the scam? coffee1.gif

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nick Henry, a good name for a Nigerian or Liberian scammer. She needs to look at it from the bright side; a good school is always expensive, but people do not forget expensive lessons plus that you can't con an honest person.

Why should anyone transfer 2 million into the account of someone for customs duties unless something very fishy was in the package?

See this is what happens when people fall for Nigerians with Internet romances, it happens every day. I get emails from all sorts of women wanting romance and even bankers wanting to give me money. I just say send me a check.

Now if someone said they had a package for me in Malaysia I would not go within 1000 kilometers of it. I would think set up straight away. Now this stupid dill Miss A pays a 'corrupt cop' in Malaysia 2 million baht so the guy will hand over 270000 euros HAHAHAHAHA! She is a special kind of stupid. I have no sympathy because a fool aand their money are easily parted. It happens every day to Farangs in Phuket to the tune of billions of baht.

• Like 1

Big story in the Thai papers, with her photo. She recently sold some land in Rawai for 10 million baht.

Something fishy about this story, maybe some friends of her is behind the scam? coffee1.gif

You think whistling.gif Some one local who knows here Facebook name. Scamming a way to extract her money.

Similar story happened to an Ausralian who sent $100k to Chaing Mai scammers (fake stocks / shares) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HbvY1ZDhwg - unfortunately this video is 54 mins long....So the summary:

After the scam victim contacted Australian police - Australian police contacted Thai police (and gave them a name and a telephone number of scammer). From this the Thai police managed to identify:

1). Exact address where named person was living,

2). The Girl friend of scammer,

3). Father of girlfriend (and his address).

4). Scammer's motor bike (make, colour and reg plate)

- All info provided to victim by email from Thai police.(Video: 26 min 30sec)

Thai police said that if victim could visit Royal Bangkok police in person to lodge evidence and give statement - So the victim did fly to Bangkok to do this.

After the evidence and statement was given by the victim to the Royal Thai police:

The Royal Thai position was that "police can not take the case further because under Thai law if the victim can not identify the people who have committed the crime the (Thai) police can not prosecute" - (Video:30 min 50 sec into Video).

So it will be interesting to understand - How they can continue with this current investigation here (for the Thai lady who has been scammed)?

Also:

And a follow up video by the victim (since he is still looking for the scammers in Chaing Mai) - He posted this vid to see if anyone in Thailand can identify the American accents of the scammers - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dpmVTv1buo

No way this is a Nigerian scam, its been done before. A few ladies at Laguna Hotel got done 2 years ago. For around 50,000 baht each.

Also the name gives it away. Nick Henry, 2 first names.

Ive seen similar ones like Robert Adams, Albert Kevins. Its the same modus operandi

Wonder how that photo compares with her Facebook photo.

News story and photo --->

http://www.khaosod.co.th/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE16RTROVFF6TWc9PQ==&sectionid=

I bet she used her daughters photo

Wonder how that photo compares with her Facebook photo.

News story and photo --->

http://www.khaosod.co.th/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE16RTROVFF6TWc9PQ==&sectionid=

I bet she used her daughters photo

That Nick Henry was in for a surprise if he had come to meet her.

No way this is a Nigerian scam, its been done before. A few ladies at Laguna Hotel got done 2 years ago. For around 50,000 baht each.

Also the name gives it away. Nick Henry, 2 first names.

Ive seen similar ones like Robert Adams, Albert Kevins. Its the same modus operandi

Hercule Poirot!!wai2.gif

I have to admit I am impressed by the advice given by Police Superintendent Chaowalit Petchsripia,

"Wichit Police Superintendent Chaowalit Petchsripia warned social media users to beware of trusting anyone they met online.

“Don’t believe that these people online are who they say they are. And never give out private information such as your bank account number, debit card password or other private information to them,” Col Chaowalit said."

I would really like to hear his advice on how to deal with the Shenanigans of his colleagues.

A couple of people have dragged up the old chestnut: "You can't cheat an honest man." This is self-evidently incorrect, and always was.

About once a month, a story appears on here about a Thai lady being scammed by a farang, and it brings out howls of delight, about "scamming a scammer", or "turning the tables, for once", or just plain "Yay! She deserves it!" How will uou feel if sometime your own personal tale of woe or mistreatment appears on here, and you get dished up a plate of this bile? Oh, and then you pile it on by commenting on her plain looks. Nasty.

Reason number (google + 1) to avoid Facebook.

• Like 2

This is a scam often used by Nigerians. Sounds better to have an English sounding name than an African one. Ladies in Thailand may seem an easy target as they may not be as internet savy as some of their western counterparts.

It stuns me how many people on here are quick to condemn her and use this episode as means to balance up the scales for what some unscrupulous women have done in the past. Especially without knowing anything about her. I would be interested to know how many of those posters have never tried to get anything for free or take advantage of a situation for personal gain, no matter how large or small. Let he who is without sin , etc etc .

Edited by carvets
  • Like 1

This is an alarmingly common scam, my sister in-law nearly got caught by this one..

A lot of very negative comments on here regarding the victim.. questions as to how she raised the cash etc.. does it occur to anyone that this may have been her life savings.. or she may have borrowed money secured on her house etc... have some compassion here, she may well have been stupid, but she is a victim non the less.

She is nothing but a victim of her own greed, bet her eyes lit up when she heard 270k Euros, yeah right.

• Like 2

Great news. I set up a fund that will help this lady recoup her losses!!! Please see the following link and send any amount. Every baht will go directly to her, and you will even get a tax rebate on transfers above 50,000 baht.

- Nick Henry

• Like 2

....who scammed whom...... ...makes me wonder where this woman got her money to begin with,,,,, ...she called her foreign friends to get more funds......??? ...we should really question her line of work....

Apparently she sold land in Rawai 10 million bath, what I don't understand is why she wanted funds from falang "friends" in this "investment"?

Is she another member of the scam too? whistling.gif

As usual, a large number of respondents have misread the news article.

She paid the 2 million Baht because the scammers threatened her with charges of money laundering. The 48K was for customs duty on her "gifts".

I just went through the same scam happening to a lady-friend of mine.

He contacted her through Facebook and started chatting her up over the course of a week or so. (Note the lady in the news spent a couple of months chatting to her "friend"). Very chatty and soon professing true love. These scammers use the pics of successful white males as their own. It"s all on the net.

Fortunately, this lady did not understand all the English he was using as he promised to send all the "gifts" and come soon to see her, so she showed me the messages. The parcel was to arrive in 2 days and he provided a tracking website.

I told her the she would receive a call in the next day or so requesting money to pay customs duties, fees or the like. She was initially reluctant to let go of the dream, though she still hoped I was wrong.

The "money requesting text" arrived 5 minutes after I finished telling her this! w00t.gif

She replied that if he would wire her the money to pay the fees she would "accept the parcel" whistling.gif

Edited by bobbin
  • Like 2