Hazard For Brits Returning To UK

TC1

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems indeed you had a rough ride, but not being present its hard to judge exactly what happened and what was the motivation. It reads unfair conduct but doubt if the officers were trying to be deliberately awkward as that would be pointless and may be I respectfully suggest, be a reaction to your disposition. A lot can be said non verbally by expression body language , tone etc and who knows how that may have been interpreted.

It may also be and I stress "may" have been as a result of an internal directive to check computer devices more thoroughly no one can say for sure.

Clearly you were upset and felt victimised, that in itself is a reason to complain. I am sure you are doing the right thing by complaining in that manner and through the correct procedure, I hope it works out for you although I suspect you will be given some official jargon that you cannit argue against and summarily dismissed. I hope yiu get chance to post the next episode as to what the response actually was.

Good luck with it.

• Like 2

When did you get the seized stuff back?

What was the point of this, why mention Thai?.......just curious.

"It is not hard to imagine the response on forums if a report of such action by Thai officials against a foreigner was posted".

• Like 1

@CharlieH. Yes, I have read what you posted and it suggests that British nationals entering the UK are not being treated in accordance with that directive. Neither myself nor the other chap were told we were suspected of anything. Inference of the seizures is that all people passing over the border are suspected of something - anything.

Thanks for your response Charlie, but guessing that the officers 'reacted' to my disposition is irrelevant. Either behaviour is abusive, which may be countered by appropriate action, or it is not. The point here is that any officer may seize the personal possessions of any national re-entering the country on any pretext. An internal directive to 'check devices more thoroughly' is one thing, but to seize them for any amount of time is something else altogether and is directly opposed to the stated written policy. Basically, an officer who has an aversion to bald men, or long-haired men etc., etc., may exercise his prejudice against them. The point of my post is that YOU (or any reader) could be next.

You matched the description of a paedophile on their 'watch' list.

Best never to reveal anything personal when questioned by officials anywhere.

'loose lips sinks ships' as they used to say.

@thonglorjimmy. I have intiated what is called 'Condemnation Proceedings', which seeks a court order that the seizure was illegal. I have also issued a 'Claim for Restoration'. I assure you there is no doubt in my mind who was wrong - it would seem as a matter of policy.

@Fifty Two. "You matched the description of a paedophile on their 'watch' list." I doubt any of us do not match the description of some paedophile on watch lists. In any event, the other chap couldn't be more different than me in appearance.

@FiftyTwo: "Your topic title is a bit misleading as it isn't a general hazard for Brits.
It's a hazard for single elderly males carrying data sources.

Women, young guys and couples would have not been affected.
Older guys with no laptops or thumb drives would not be affected."

That is a tunnel-vision assumption by you, and that profiles single men. The latter itself is an outrageous abuse. FACT is that if international law is being blatantly flouted by the UK Border Agency, as the info provided above by CharlieH confirms, ANYBODY is at risk of being a victim of some officer who got out of bed the wrong side or with a bee in his/her bonnet about a particulat thing.

@h90: It appears you did not read what has been posted before. The CURRENT law requires a reason to be given for a seizure (as stated in the Border Agency's own brochure).

Edited by TC1
  • Like 1

@mickjn: The items were already seized when the offer was made. To refuse to say anything could be interpreted as a reason for suspicion. FACT is, these officers apparently believe they are above the law. It remains to be seen if it is so,

Edited by TC1

That sounds harsh - if they are going to search your belongings they should do so before letting you leave otherwise your belongings could easily disappear in some warehouse where all this stuff ends up.

I was once stopped at Heathrow for a cigarette check, asked where I came from and I showed them my e-cigarette. They were still interested in looking in my bag so I went to unlock it but they saw someone else they liked the look of (another solo passenger) and just told me to clear the area. Must be paid commission per bust or something...

• Like 1

@mickjn: The items were already seized when the offer was made. To refuse to say anything could be interpreted as a reason for suspicion. FACT is, these officers apparently believe they are above the law. It remains to be seen if it is so,

I've flat out told them it's none of their business what I've been doing or who I've been meeting when abroad and to 'do what you must' and shoved my bags in their general direction. This particular case was after a short flight from Amsterdam to Birmingham. I have no time for these people.

The OP will probably never get his laptop or other equipment back and if he does there's a good chance it will be broken as it will most likely have been physically dismantled during their inspections.

Forensic data services will likely take months to examine your computer and due to the evidence regulations they're not meant to turn the device on if it's already turned off as files could and will be modified merely by booting the device - instead they must access the hard drives directly and 'image' them before performaing any analysis. This is why they will take it apart. There is no obligation to return it to you in the same state it was seized in. You will probably receive a bag of hastily dismantled components back - ie - they will rip the hard drive out with to thought to it being carefully reassembled at a later date.

• Like 1

@FiftyTwo: "Your topic title is a bit misleading as it isn't a general hazard for Brits.

It's a hazard for single elderly males carrying data sources.

Women, young guys and couples would have not been affected.

Older guys with no laptops or thumb drives would not be affected."

That is a tunnel-vision assumption by you, and that profiles single men. The latter itself is an outrageous abuse. FACT is that if international law is being blatantly flouted by the UK Border Agency, as the info provided above by CharlieH confirms, ANYBODY is at risk of being a victim of some officer who got out of bed the wrong side or with a bee in his/her bonnet about a particulat thing.

@h90: It appears you did not read what has been posted before. The CURRENT law requires a reason to be given for a seizure (as stated in the Border Agency's own brochure).

''@h90: It appears you did not read what has been posted before. The CURRENT law requires a reason to be given for a seizure (as stated in the Border Agency's own brochure).''

Reason:

They were suspicious...