Hazard For Brits Returning To UK

TC1

Many years ago I was found with a few extra ciggies over my allowance at leeds/bradford. I stress only a few and they were confiscated. My luggage had never been searched prior to that but afterwards, I was searched several times at airports in the UK. It may have been a coincidence or I may have been put on a list for searching in the future. Anyway, it eventually tailed off and don't get searched anymore. What I am saying is that you may be put on a list I don't know.

• Like 1

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@uptheos. I have not yet got my stuff back. On the very day the Border Agency received my Notice of Prosecution, they called me about identifying my computer. It seems they have seized so many that they can't keep track of them, Why mention Thai? On any given news report about something negative about Thailand or its people, there is a type of expat or regular visitor who will charge in and stereotype all Thais to that bad example, as if the country they left is perfect. This syndrome is based on the person's need for a sense of national superiority to the one they have chosed to live in/marry into. But that's another subject.

Am gonna take issue with one small point, and take it slightly off your main topic.

I'm also from the UK, and although I am quick to point out the deficiencies of most things here in Thailand, I would in no way say that the UK is perfect. Indeed, if it was, I'd still be there.

I think what you'll find is that a lot of people who post negative comments about Thailand aren't doing so because of any nationalistic superiority, simply that they are (for the most part) able to see past the bullshit here and see things for how they are.

Hand in hand with the above, I'll go further and say that if there was a forum such as this in ANY country in the world, and I was residing in said country, I'd continue to do the same thing there as I do here. It's not to put Thailand down, it's not because of any sense of nationalistic pride (I have very little if any for the UK and it's citizens), it's not to make myself feel superior . . . it's simply a way to vent a few frustrations and as a reaction to the sense of disappointment that many feel when it "could" be so much better somewhere than it actually is.

And bear in mind also, as a Brit, we complain about anything and everything, no matter where we are. We're never happy and can always find something to complain about. If it wasn't the farcical attempt at Governing we see currently here, it would be something else, the weather, the food, the elephant that crapped outside my gate. Something, anything.

Peace.

EDIT: Going back to your original topic, I've also had issues with Customs/Immigration in the UK and found them all (to a man/woman) to be rude, ignorant, arrogant, racist, insensitive, idiotic, overly suspicious, abusive of power/authority and generally complete <deleted> that can't be reasoned with. I hope that settles the balance just a little with regards the negative comments about Thailand.

As Americans we complain a bit too much as well. Nice to see someone admit it, lol We are spoiled, especially living here!

Hopefully you had backups of everything. If you didn't, you will from now on.

I keep roughly half of my hard drive (the really important half, that I need to be able to access from anywhere) on Dropbox. I also use Crash Plan to automatically (and continuously, whenever I'm connected to the internet) backup all files on my hard drive to another online destination, AND I do a disc image of my hard drive once a week onto an external hard drive.

The point is...if I lost my laptop tomorrow, it would be a major pain to have to use the far inferior backup laptop I have...but I wouldn't lose a single shred of data.

Edited by Ajaan
  • Like 2

Some times ago it was in the news that UK changed the law so they can check the content and take all electronic equipment like the USA does.

Welcome in the new world order.......

I've never had a problem entering the US with laptop and tablet. I guess I don't look evil! :)

In March I went through Heathrow on a trip back to see my folks. I had one suitcase, and one hand luggage - no duty free. I walked through "nothing to declare" and a guy came out of the room on the right in the corridor and asked me to follow him. I had come via India (cheapo tickets - Jet). He asked me as follows:

"Where have you come from?"

"Chiang Mai, Thailand via Bombay"

"Can I see you passport please"

[handed it to him]

"Do you live there are was it just a visit?"

"I live there"

"What do you do there?"

"Nothing...I home school my kids...my wife works here in the UK" [OK too much info given - but I was very tired having been on 3 successive planes and had been traveling 20 odd hours]

"Oh really?" [rhetorical - genuine surprise]

"What is in your case? Cigarettes? Alcohol?"

"Erm...No cigarettes, I don't smoke and neither do my folks...erm, a 750cl bottle of Burmese Whisky"

"OK, thank you"

"Do you want me to open it?"

"No that's fine - thank you - please take that door" [points to a door in the same wall but further down the corridor leading to the exit.

No search. In fact he was really quite polite.

On leaving two weeks later. I get stopped again at the X-ray checks. Full body scan - it doesn't like my necklace - secondary metal detector baton scan. Bag stops in the x-ray and is pulled out with dozens of others. Takes almost an hour to get to my bag to be checked. Worried about flight I was originally early for - hate not being early! Turns out the x-ray didn't like the espresso machine in my hand luggage :D Indian guy does the checks, unpacks and scans everything individually (except two pairs of jeans that wouldn't fit in my case and some books, then swabs it and checks in a chem machine for drugs. He then carried it over to a table for me and helped me repack it. I, being me, had a few quips with him and he was friendly enough - no problems (although I did leave a card reader and laptop power lead behind on the table - it was a free for all with dozens of other re-packers!).

I guess its all about the answers you give and how suspicious they are lead to feel. My answers were unique enough to get a pass I guess - and not having any ciggies or duty free too perhaps???

• Like 1

I guess it will all be on video, will you be requesting this?

Maybe coming from Thailand with only hand luggage raises a red flag. I don't really know why it would, just guessing.

I don't have to guess, it's called profiling.

Interesting story. Its another good reason to live permanently in the LOS and not in a nanny state western country.

Yes, move from that nanny state to Thailand, where any cop on the street can ask you to empty your pockets and pee in a cup, or fork over 500 baht because you were driving by their setup that day.

To the OP's point, I'm not excusing their behavior, but almost every regular international traveler knows you don't travel that far without checking a bag since 2011.

Even if I have nothing that doesn't fit in my carry-on, a few sets of clothes and a couple of pairs of underwear go into an otherwise empty and fairly large bag to get checked in.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

Many years ago I was found with a few extra ciggies over my allowance at leeds/bradford. I stress only a few and they were confiscated. My luggage had never been searched prior to that but afterwards, I was searched several times at airports in the UK. It may have been a coincidence or I may have been put on a list for searching in the future. Anyway, it eventually tailed off and don't get searched anymore. What I am saying is that you may be put on a list I don't know.

I really doubt you would be put on any list for 'a few extra ciggies'........they're of no consequence and the list would be unmanageable!

• Like 1

Oh all those Arabs and Africans that were told to 'get over it' and if 'they have nothing to hide, it's going to be alright'

Now we can see how it feels when it hits the white men being profiled as well. Borders... where nobody can do anything against authority.

And it's going to get worse...

I'm sorry but what you describe as a hazard is nothing more than a part of a travellers everyday life, if nothing to hide, no problems, get over it and get used to it.

I disagree - my latest visit to the UK a few months ago was just for a week.

I work, bank, pretty much do everything on my computer - If it was confiscated I would have to buy another one and re-sync to my back up.

But, don't they confiscate hard drives too - that means my backup is also gone.

I'd be crippled....

There is no way this is a normal part of travelling - the confiscation of computers IMO is extreme and I to would object, complain, kick up a fuss and draw charges.

However, I have no issues against a search which lasts 30mins, they can even turn on my computer and glance through the files, but I find the confiscation without apparent reason huge issue.

If you keep the right attiture,

You will be on your way in no more than 20 minutes....

• Like 1

I'm sorry but what you describe as a hazard is nothing more than a part of a travellers everyday life, if nothing to hide, no problems, get over it and get used to it.

I work, bank, pretty much do everything on my computer - If it was confiscated I would have to buy another one and re-sync to my back up.

I'd be crippled....

There is no way this is a normal part of travelling - the confiscation of computers IMO is extreme and I to would object, complain, kick up a fuss and draw charges.

However, I have no issues against a search which lasts 30mins, they can even turn on my computer and glance through the files, but I find the confiscation without apparent reason huge issue.

We all run a risk of damage to our PC's, theft of them or loss of data by negotiating various electronic pathways, anywhere. Anyone who doesn't back up their data into the cloud or similar runs a risk hence it's a part of the cost of travelling/doing business - data backed up into the cloud, a tablet or 3G phone as backup for application execution (not a luxury these days) and who cares what the customs guys do, you may see things differently.

I'd be crippled....

I agree with you 100%, and now that I know that it can happen, I'll be preparing differently.

60+ trips across the pond, 55+ since 2011, and I haven't had a single problem with US customs or immigration, but that doesn't mean #70 will be as easy.

I appreciate the OP giving us all a heads up.

• Like 1

Very interesting reading.... However, those who use "You tube" try logging onto UK or Australian Border Security, there are many uploads, and I tell you what, they make very interesting viewing. Watch carefully the customs officers on their approach, their attitudes etc. 99% of the time their suspicions are justified, and they apprehend.

They are not idiots nor Dummies, they are actually very clever, so if they have reasons to suspect, given the many red flags they observe, then that is professionalism, and Kudos to them!

Now, and this is not a barb, there are bad tempered and rude persons going through these check points, and I stand up and be counted as one of. About 25 years ago after a disastrous flight from HK to LHR, and I mean disastrous with a capital D, I queued up at LHR Immigration, to find myself at the front of the line about 40 minutes, only to be told by a turbaned Indian, with a not so British accent that I was in the wrong Immigration queue.

I am not proud to say that being exhausted I responded 'And you Sir Are In The Wrong Country. Cue ringing of alarm bells and a fast response by armed Police. Nightmare !!

Posting in all capitals or in all bold, and using large or unusual fonts and colors is bad netiquette. Posts using overly large font or in odd bold font have been removed. If you do not want your post to be removed, post using this type of font.

Posting in all capitals or in all bold, and using large or unusual fonts and colors is bad netiquette. Posts using overly large font or in odd bold font have been removed. If you do not want your post to be removed, post using this type of font.

And who Sir are you referring too???

A few here have said that if you have the right attitude you won't have any of these sorts of problems. I tend to agree with them and have found that it's mostly worked for me. It doesn't matter how much you hate what they're doing, how much you hate all the inconvenience, how much you hate THEIR attitude, YOU have to remain calm. Abusive comments or even simple sarcasm will be jumped on as a challenge by most border control officers - anywhere in the world. From what I read from the OP, this was his big mistake.

A humorous example of getting it wrong was when arriving at Dover docks after a working trip to France with a colleague. Our estate car was filled with unique technical equipment. The customs officer was a very cute young lady who I made sure heard my comment to my colleague about making sure the guns were well hidden. She ordered me to drive off to one side where a couple of other officers proceeded to take everything out of our car and place it all on the road, including the contents of our cases. The young lady just stood by and watched, looking very severe as she made notes on her clipboard. With everything scattered around she gave a massive smile and said, "You won't make silly comments like that again will you?" How right she was.

A less humorous incident (at the time) that goes against the "stay nice and you'll be OK" philosophy happened to my wife when she came to the UK just a few months after her first brief visit. She was taken to one side after Passport Control and questioned about her visit. Her then limited English led to some confusion and she was taken off to a small room and told to wait for an interpreter. An hour or so later the interpreter arrived and following much discussion she was told that she wouldn't be allowed to remain in the UK. All this time I was waiting for her at Arrivals and given no clue as to what was happening. Eventually an Immigration Officer came out to tell me what had happened. As the next flight back to my then friend and later to be wife's home country was a week later, they agreed to let her stay "in my custody". Throughout the whole process my wife and I stayed very calm, only told the total truth and made sure we didn't risk upsetting anyone. Very long story short, we took the Home Office to court on appeal against the refusal to enter and thoroughly enjoyed the Magistrate's castigation of the Immigration Officers for wasting everyone's time. Being polite and staying calm may have helped us to finish with the right result, but it didn't avoid lots of inconvenience.

Both those incidents were over 18 years ago and we've not had any problems at since then. We've been questioned a little more enthusiastically than we'd have liked a few times at Passport Controls, and we've been stopped by Customs a few times too. But it's never lasted more than 10 minutes and we've never had anything confiscated. (Although a friend did have some baby milk confiscated at Heathrow when we were with her and her young children heading for a flight to South Korea!)

Just stay nice when all seems to be against you and life will be so much easier. Bullies (including those officials at airports) are bamboozled by those who don't react by either trying to outdo them or becoming quivering wrecks, so they give up.