Debit Card

MaprangHolmes

I have booked and paid for a flight for another person, I paid for the flight with my debit card, some airlines ask to see the card when you check in (I have only been asked once in many years of flying) I will not be there so is there anything I can do to stop this from becoming a problem.

Thank you

All airlines have their own rules on this subject.

You would be better asking the airline you have booked with. I did note that you previously asked about Air India on another subject, they do allow a booking to be made if the passenger isn't travelling, but the passenger has to have a copy of both sides of the card and an attestation by the card holder authorising the use of the card to purchase the ticket.

http://www.airindia.in/online-booking-faqs.htm#q14

I would still check with the airline.

• Like 2

Check with the airline in advance. If there is a problem you will probably be able to sort it out with them.

You must check as being denied boarding can be very annoying and lots of airlines will do anything to claw back a couple of seats on a full flight that they can then sell at a much greater price to standby passengers who are waiting.

• Like 2

I have booked tickets for friends, copied my credit card front and back with a statement that I booked the ticked for xxxxx person using my credit card, I think I also included a copy of my passport page for further verification. Reason airine wants some assurance that the person did not use your credit card unauthorized.

Tell the passenger to do web check-in and only hand luggage and they can just go straight through without any questions asked.

I think you will find that airlines insist on a "document check" for web check-ins, that has always been my experience anyway.

I believe showing the card only pertains to credit cards.

If you pay using a debit card they do not need any form of “reassurance” as the money is charged directly during purchase.

A credit card will have a deferred charge, hence the need to show the card.

I believe showing the card only pertains to credit cards.

If you pay using a debit card they do not need any form of “reassurance” as the money is charged directly during purchase.

A credit card will have a deferred charge, hence the need to show the card.

Air India, as an example, require a copy of a Debit Card if the card holder isn't flying.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

My current booking with Royal Jordanian states that I must be present if I have booked for another person. If I am not present they do want a letter from me and copies of the debit card I used to book the flight.

Yes, they want to make sure the card use is authrorised and I see no problem with that.

Tell the passenger to do web check-in and only hand luggage and they can just go straight through without any questions asked.

This works for us. I have been using a debit card for Air Asia so my girl could fly down to Bangkok for the past two years. She goes almost every two months. Probably she gets through because we do the web check in and she travels smart and light. Dozen or so trips.

This works for us. I have been using a debit card for Air Asia so my girl could fly down to Bangkok for the past two years. She goes almost every two months. Probably she gets through because we do the web check in and she travels smart and light.  Dozen or so trips.

Air Asia is one of the few airlines that doesn't have this rule about the card holder travelling.

It makes no difference if you use their web or counter check-ins, you don't need to show a card and the card holder doesn't need to be travelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I once booked a flight for my wife to return one way from Udon Thani to Chiang Mai, using a Bangkok Bank debit/Visa card (from CM via the net). This was on the usually mellow and friendly Nok Air. When she got to the airport and gave them the reservation number they weren't going to allow her to board unless she showed them the debit card, which of course she could not do. It was then that she went into "Thai woman on the edge of a nervous breakdown-Full B--h Mode".

She made the flight.

I once booked a flight for my wife to return one way from Udon Thani to Chiang Mai, using a Bangkok Bank debit/Visa card (from CM via the net). This was on the usually mellow and friendly Nok Air. When she got to the airport and gave them the reservation number they weren't going to allow her to board unless she showed them the debit card, which of course she could not do. It was then that she went into "Thai woman on the edge of a nervous breakdown-Full B--h Mode".

She made the flight.

did she have any problems coming home?tongue.png

My experience with Emirates and BA is that if I go to the airport or a ticket office beforehand and show them the card there will be no problem for the passenger at check-in. Not very convenient if you live far from the airport etc but it does the trick. Emirates also said they will waive the requirement for bookings made by Gold card holders.

Do you think that this will be OK as a letter of attestation?

To Whom It May Concern:

Authorisation of ticket purchased for my mother in law using my debit card.

Ref: eTicket no:

Passenger Name:

Passport Number:

Sector: Bangkok: Bangkok – Delhi – London.

Further to the above, I wish to inform you that the above electronic ticket was purchased for my mother in law . Who is travelling to London from Bangkok on 06/12/13 on a return journey by Air India. I used my debit card bearing number expiring on towards this transaction.. I Mr hereby authorise the use of my debit card to pay for this trip by my mother in law Mrs. I enclose a copy of my debit card for your reference.

Edited by MaprangHolmes

This was my experience with Thai Airways - they require a form to be signed by the card holder, and also copies of the card (even if it is a debit card) and passport. These have to be emailed to them and they will acknowledge receipt and that the passenger will be able

to checkin and board without problems.

Each airline will have its own procedures to verify the card, so it's best to contact the

call center.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by ongchart