When Villagers Mass for Attack

EBlair48

On the narrow road that runs parallel to the airport runway, with a solid no passing yellow line there is a dubious grate running along the entire length of the south side

I slowed and went slightly right to avoid a stick that seemed to warn of a weak spot, then....

WHAM !

I thought I’d fallen in but was instead rear-ended, a motorcycle crunching my tailight , then scraping up the right rear quarter side of my car by a 13 year old on a motorcycle with two friends, (no helmets) Kid on the rear was lucky to have not sliced his left foot off as apparently the foot peg sliced my rear tire wide open.

All three kids started to take off but stopped from pain, (I guess?), the one having a nasty cut on his ankle and an ambulance arrived fairly quickly. There were a lot of airport workers around who were invaluable directing traffic around the now wrecked motorcycle about 20 meters up in the right lane. My car was blocking the left as directed to “not move it “by a friendly foreigner man just passing in the Soi Dog truck .

Soon the parents arrived, then the brothers, sister , uncles, cousins and other assorted relatives. I was getting the stare down big time, muttering “farang this and farang that…” big time, and the father was gesturing angrily at me and poking at my tire . I was getting a bit uncomfortable when thankfully two police officers arrived and directed the father to stay away from my car and shut up.

It took about another 45 minutes for the head cop to arrive and he took some quick pictures and in no uncertain terms assigned blame then and there to…… the kid.

A tow truck arrived in short order and began to hook up the front , I was concerned they were about to tow my car on a flat tire to the entire way to the TatChai police station and I used the f*** word to the truck driver that no way was than happening. Besides it is bad for the transmission. Well the crowd about got a rope. GASP !! meanwhile they have been cussing up a blue streak in Thai jet mai etc etc

What is it with f*** anyway ? They blot out cleavage and butts on cable but never have I heard f*** censored on cable movies. They really just don’t understand the way it is used as an exclamation and make it into a national event. - F***** a****** !!

I convinced the head cop the truck has to use a cradle and so it was safely towed.

Back at the police station we had to wait for a translator, so the entire afternoon was shot. I had to ask for an apology which was reluctantly given.

Poor, poor kid such a loss of face.

I was actually taking a extremely sick cat I’d found to Soi Dog, but instead having taken the wrong road, it ended up that she didn’t survive the ordeal. The driver of the Soi dog truck wouldn’t take her, not knowing she was expected.

Next day was spent looking for a decent quality tire to replace my Goodyear, and about 2000 baht in taxis fees.

Today was spent trying to get estimates from body shops. Not one would do the work Toyota Pearl was about the worst, first telling me about 30, 000 worth of damage then informing me they could not work on an “import car “ When I begged” please just a written an estimate, “ it cost 500 baht. I muttered what a rip off and was told by the body shop manager to leave Thailand.

Good idea, actually.

Oh for f**** sake, the driver had no problem with it, he was to whom I was speaking in fact A few standing close overheard,. Just an excuse for the crowd to incite a lynching. I did not address the crowd at all during the entire ordeal , I mostly stayed up on a hill away from them, in fact.

F*** is a mere exclamation used on Thai cable TV movies about every 5 minutes and and under the circumstances - my car about to be ruined, was entirely suitable.

Just a word , but to the snobby Thai apologist I guess important?

• Like 1

This road is very narrow, slow speed called for , it has a no passing line (which btw I was not over) which a kid of thirteen hell, most Thai drivers probably wouldn't know what it means

I was hit in the rear, while he tried to pass apparentyl going to fast to stop, obviously, and police concur he was going too fast for the circumstances, he was 13.

Yet my fault for not checking the side mirror ? Come on.....

Oh for f**** sake, the driver had no problem with it, he was to whom I was speaking in fact A few standing close overheard,. Just an excuse for the crowd to incite a lynching. I did not address the crowd at all during the entire ordeal , I mostly stayed up on a hill away from them, in fact.

F*** is a mere exclamation used on Thai cable TV movies about every 5 minutes and and under the circumstances - my car about to be ruined, was entirely suitable.

Interesting tale....sounds like to me ,just from reading your rave that maybe you would deserve the crowds wrath...sad.png

Sorry my friend but you cannot win.

They will kill you before losing face. Most mobs are either drunk or on yaba.

I've tried helping at an accident and had the Thai crowd turn on me.

Luckily the rescue squad people saved me. I was not involved...just helping.

• Like 2

^^ any post that brings nationality and perceived education into a discussion deserves a bit of it.

^ well thanks for that agree, the entire incident underscores my feeling that Thais are most disingenuous people on the planet. I don't see how they are called gracious? ( It's the Bangla Syndrome ? )

I kept asking the police what the kid would be charged with not really getting any kind of answer- yet.

I haven't signed any papers ,If Ifind out he'll get off scott -free I may not. His father agreed to pay the damages and did assist me to change the tire , and his attitude certainly changed from the mob mentality, ( actually he did seem drunk ) but more of the the famous double face? Probably .

I'd rather see the kid charged than get money , I can afford the damages, my insurance will cover it in fact- though I wouldn't risk the rate increase, hell could really care less what it looks like the car works out about 2400 for the tire, can get a new tailight fo rabout 300 baht when I return home for Christmas next month.

Sick of these spoiled brats screaming around with impudence.

No regard for law here.

This road is very narrow,  slow speed  called for , it has a no passing line (which  btw I was not over)  which a kid of thirteen hell, most Thai drivers probably wouldn't know what it means

I was hit in the rear,   while he tried to pass apparentyl going to fast to stop, obviously, and police concur  he was going too fast for the circumstances, he was 13.

Yet  my fault  for not checking the side mirror ?  Come on.....

Yes. It is partly your fault. It sounds like you moved over into the path of the bike. So 80% his fault. 20% yours if you had looked in your mirror YOU possibly would have reacted differently.

there are rarely any accidents that are 100% one parties fault. The fact you own a car here you also know how they drive.

I hope your 1st class insurance will repair your car.

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

• Like 1

Forgot to add to the story the " stick" that I thought was inserted and had fallen down flat was really a large weld, the grate was safe at that point! F***!

Yeah the more I think about it, the less likely I am to accept a settlement. Wonder what my options are, gosh my neck is feeling,.. well whip lashed, and my treasured cat dies and I was under so much stress. Sniff, Whhaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

^^ Only in Thailand are you 20% at fault when you get hit in the rear by a speeding 13 yo  kid because  "that's how they drive."  Is it a  relative of anything bad that happens is our fault-something  to do with  we "shouldn't  be here?" .  

In a no passing zone, he was showing  off to the friends how fast and how close he can cut it. Well  he cut it all right, but did he learn a lesson? Probably not.

From your description you were not hit in the rear. You stated the bike went down the side of your car. But OK!

Did you learn a lesson?

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

<deleted> is the only swear word I have ever heard Thais utter in English.

They know it as an offensive word, not just an exclamation.

• Like 1

Thai apologist?? I made no comment at all about whether you/the bike rider were in the right or wrong. My comment was that if you insist on using abusive language (and trust me - that word is VERY abusive), then you should not be surprised if others get angry.

You do sound rather stressed. Perhaps the matter could have been dealt with better if you had remained calm and not mouthed off

Simon

Wouldn't you be stressed after such an incident?

I f***in would.

I reckon he handled it well.What's wrong with trying to show you ain't shit you're pants just yet ,showing some balls & then reassessing /backing off ,maybe a game of chance but something I'd risk! You are hardly gonna get shot or hung with so many witnesses!!

• Like 1

The road right next to the runway is the last road I would want to use in Phuket. They used to direct Phangnga bound traffic from the airport to that road, and I hated it. The road is so narrow that it cannot be used safely by cars.

No, not just a word, and no, not just a mere exclamation. An insult, yes.

<deleted> is the only swear word I have ever heard Thais utter in English.

They know it as an offensive word, not just an exclamation.

My wife considers it very offensive

No, not just a word, and no, not just a mere exclamation. An insult, yes.

As I stated before, I did not use the term until about an hour after the massing had already begun, when the truck was about to tow my car, from the front on a flat rear tire. , I used it as " no f****ing way. .. and I was about to insert myself under the car to stop it .

The already massed, (critically) villagers seized on it as further evidence that I was wrong and deserved to be lynched .

Actually , it's an English term, If they don't' understand the context of it as an exclamation as demonstrated in just about every English language movie they ever saw , well that's just more evidence of how stupid they are OR more likely will use any excuse get riled up.

Plenty of "jet ma " or what ever it is that is their equivalent term is was being said, plus the hostile stare, the pointing, the swaggering father poking at my car. The simpering and giggling when I brought the cat out as it was too hot in the car , Giggling at my distress as it was about to die. ( and did )

Yeah, it was a bit stressful. I suggest one has been thoroughly brainwashed ( or another organ? ) if he cannot have empathy for the situation.

<deleted> I am so sick of people who defend this behavior- yes Thai apologists. Are they addicted to Thais?. Egadss !!

Edited by EBlair48
  • Like 1