Questions About Silk In Thailand

thaisilk

Hi, I am new to this forum so please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place.

I am doing a research project about the impacts of technology on silk producers in Northeast Thailand. However, I have never actually been to the country (this summer will be my first time - baring a three day transit last year), and I am finding it quite challenging to find out much specific info solely from the Internet. If anybody knows anything about silk over there (i.e. how and where it is made, what it costs, who I should speak with) then I would be extremely grateful for the help.

One of the things I am especially interested in is what exactly the larger scale producers are doing. Who are they, where are they, who do they buy from and who do they sell to?

I am also especially interested in silk merchants and producers who are using the Internet to sell their products.

I will be in Khon Kaen, Khorat, and Bangkok for the second part of June if anyone would like to chat about these things, but I would certainly appreciate any advice and knowledge, and help making contacts before I arrive if at all possible.

Thank you in advance for your help. Please feel free to contact me at mark.graham *at* uky.edu

Mark

Mark Graham

PhD Candidate and Research Assistant

Department of Geography

University of Kentucky

+1 (859) 536 4046

Mark

First off good luck on your project.................

As you might be aware, there are a few types of silk in Thailand.

The massed produced, for the tourist and export, naturally is a year around activity. In my opinion, it is garbage in comparison to the individual pieces made in any small village in Thailand.

Unfortunately, the village silk is normally manufactured during the dry season or off season from rice, so around November to May.

Based upon my experience, there has been little in the way of technology into the manufacture of silk in Issan. Maybe in the use of dyes, but mechanical, nahhh.

I have only seen "mass" production in Chiangmai and Bangkok, other TV members might know more.

As for a price, well the village silk varies per meter2 from 400 to 650 baht in Buriram province. I won't venture a guess for elsewhere.

Again, good luck

Good luck with your doctorate Mark.

You might try a search for Shinawatra (ex PM's family) as they have a massive influence on the silk industry in and around Chiangmai.

Silk industry reborn in Thailand

Chiang Shinawatra , the founding father of the Shinawatra Silk Company , began his career in textiles as a cotton weaver in the early 1900s. Shinawatra traveled frequently to Burma , trading fabrics. During his travels , he observed that Burmese silk-weaving operations were superior to those in Thailand. Impressed by what he saw , Shinawatra decided to try his hand at silk production. Initially he purchased silk yarn from Burma. He experimented with weaving looms and dying processes , becoming so successful that in 1939 , he registered the company and established his first factory in Chiang Mai. Today , Chiang Shinawatra's descents manage one of the largest and most sophisticated sericultural operations in Thailand.

you might check on Ban Sai ... a traditional arts center under royal patronage upriver from BKK

i have bought smoe awesome pieces there

Hi. Thanks for all the help everybody!

I have a few more questions if any of you could spare a bit of time to help.

I have been unable to find out any more info about Ban Sai. Do you have any knoweldge on how to get there and who I should talk to?

Also, thanks for the hint about the Shinawatra Silk Company. I have sent them an email and hope to hear from them soon to do an interview. However, can anyone direct me to any more silk producing companies? Any company ranging from medium/small to Shinawatra size would be useful to talk with for this research.

Again, thanks very much for all of your help.

Mark