try again jet ski

davetrout

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

davetrout, just to put closure to this thread. there are NO 'legitimate' jet ski operators in PATTAYA. At least, that is the line you should be taking.

If you ignore this advise, and choose to rent one - you are leaving yourself open for risk.

Think about it. If there WAS a legit jet ski operator, we would all be using them, they would be very rich with all our business, and the THAI scam operators would be pretty pissed off/if not out of business.

But the fact that NO ONE can ever vouch for a 100% legit jet ski operator, means you should heed the advice people are telling you.

Serious advice - DO NOT EVER RENT ANY JET SKI IN PATTAYA

Edited by Rimmer
Profane

Cambodia?

Here we go again. Another 1000 or so posts about jet ski.Maby it will take peoples facination about Beach road away for awhile.

Im pretty sure that those thousand posts or so have meant that very few english speaking people are falling for this scam now, you might not be aware of it or you may even be posting on the scammers behalf, but social media does have quite a political impact these days

Edited by wwex

Davetrout, Opposite Soi 4 on Beach Road there is a Jet Ski operator who is not a scammer; a European owned jet ski operated by a Thai. I think most jet ski operators aren't scammers but would strongly recommend; for your own peace of mind; that you "look before you leap". Sit on the beach, have a drink, have a meal and observe what is going on with people who are renting jet skis. If you have any doubts steer clear. Opposite Mike's Shopping Mall is notorious for scamming and the police are generally reckoned to be in on the scams there - avoid!! If you have the time (and you'll need plenty) other threads on TV discuss the jet ski scams in great detail. Good luck & have fun.

all the way from Mikes to Walking St is full on scamming. I have seen a few in front of the police station the last few days as well. If I was renting, which I wont, I would alter the contract to say I have no liability and if they dont like it go elsewhere

Cambodia?

Here we go again. Another 1000 or so posts about jet ski.Maby it will take peoples facination about Beach road away for awhile.

Im pretty sure that those thousand posts or so have meant that very few english speaking people are falling for this scam now, you might not be aware of it or you may even be posting on the scammers behalf, but social media does have quite a political impact these days

What a load of garbage. "Social media, political impact". Jet ski scam, beach road widening, corrupt police, corrupt pollys,necklace snatching,immigration making up the rules as they go along, taxi scams,jewelery scams,walking street mafia,etc.etc. etc. etc.

Edited by aveabeeror2

Cambodia?

Hi there:

I am afraid most people are not aware of this scam. Spend a few late afternoons across from Mike shopping and watch. You will be amazed. Just today I watched another one. The crook was wading around the returning jet-ski while customer still sitting on top at the beach. He then discreetly ripped off some part of the rubber protection in the back, while "checking" it and all continued as usual....Overheard a demand of 10'000 Baht, also for some scratches on the bottom of the ski after beaching it and flipping it over. This hole beach area starts looking like out of a movie. They have ven lookouts on the walkway, just in case soem real police would show up. Amazing Thailand! MS>

Try Jomtien instead, most of the jetski rentals there can be trusted. Just make sure to take a picture of the jetski before you rent.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Cambodia?

Hi there:

I am afraid most people are not aware of this scam. Spend a few late afternoons across from Mike shopping and watch. You will be amazed. Just today I watched another one. The crook was wading around the returning jet-ski while customer still sitting on top at the beach. He then discreetly ripped off some part of the rubber protection in the back, while "checking" it and all continued as usual....Overheard a demand of 10'000 Baht, also for some scratches on the bottom of the ski after beaching it and flipping it over. This hole beach area starts looking like out of a movie. They have ven lookouts on the walkway, just in case soem real police would show up. Amazing Thailand! MS>

thats true but from what I have heard they have been ordered not to do it to westerners and concentrate on Indians, Arabs and Chinese, as far as I have seen thats whats been happening, Im sure thats due to the bad publicity Thailand has been getting thru the western media and this forum is part of that. Also the real police are who is doing it, the lookouts are to stop people photographing them, and thats because they know about things like youtube and this site

Cambodia?

What a load of garbage. "Social media, political impact". Jet ski scam, beach road widening, corrupt police, corrupt pollys,necklace snatching,immigration making up the rules as they go along, taxi scams,jewelery scams,walking street mafia,etc.etc. etc. etc.

will it seems to keep you coming back for more

Try Jomtien instead, most of the jetski rentals there can be trusted. Just make sure to take a picture of the jetski before you rent.

Who are you going to show the pictures to? The cops?. They're in on the extortion.

The only thing the pictures will be good for is showing your friends back home that you were well and truly extorted.

This isn't a polite scam, a game of wits and strategy. Scam is too nice a word. It's brutal extortion, with clubs and machetes and corrupt "officials". And once you rent a jet ski, it's game on.

The only good thing is that it's 100% avoidable.

Who are you going to show the pictures to? The cops?. They're in on the extortion.

The only thing the pictures will be good for is showing your friends back home that you were well and truly extorted.

This isn't a polite scam, a game of wits and strategy. Scam is too nice a word. It's brutal extortion, with clubs and machetes and corrupt "officials". And once you rent a jet ski, it's game on.

The only good thing is that it's 100% avoidable.

You are 100% right. I have watched dozens of them going down over the last 24 months. These are dangerous, nasty and aggressive thugs and they know there are no consequences for their actions. Any advise other than: Do NOT ever rent jet-skies in Thailand is the wrong one. MS>

i am the op. l did not know it was that bad thanks guys looks like we won't be renting jet ski. what a shame l really wanted to take my daughter for a ride she was looking forward to this ********* the mafia

Edited by Rimmer

The thing about these jet ski thugs is they obviously look like thugs. They look nasty, sinewy, orc like, tatooed, drugged up, violent, semi monkey like scum...so even without all the publicity and websites and warnings,....why does basic common sense not tell people to have nothing to do with them?

i am the op. l did not know it was that bad thanks guys looks like we won't be renting jet ski. what a shame l really wanted to take my daughter for a ride she was looking forward to this f##k the mafia

maybe l just take family go-cart

If one family chooses not to rent jet skis because of this thread, I'd put it in the win column. Thanks davetrout for bringing it up again.

thanks impulse thats what 50% of this site is about looking out for each other. lets face facts the thai crims are all out to get us farangs, and they stick together like glue

The thing about these jet ski thugs is they obviously look like thugs. They look nasty, sinewy, orc like, tatooed, drugged up, violent, semi monkey like scum...so even without all the publicity and websites and warnings,....why does basic common sense not tell people to have nothing to do with them?

I'm old enough to know where you're coming from. But I suspect it's just a sign of the times. Seems like more of a fashion statement than a good way to judge people.

If we were to fire all the guys who look like you describe, we'd have a hard time staffing our offshore platforms in Thailand (or the Gulf of Mexico), especially with the younger ones.

And a lot of the scariest looking ones are the best operators, welders, and technicians- and really great guys.

I'm constantly surprised when I go offshore and another one of the guys has crossed that age barrier and gotten a haircut, or shaved off the mean looking in-your-face facial hair. And I can only remember vaguely when I quit wanting to put it to the man, and realized I'm one of "the man"s.

But I digress...

Edited by impulse

I did 5 trips out in October around bottom Soi 7 area. Operator knew or remembered me from before. I smiled he smiled he knew and I knew and on not one occasion did the Guy even look at the boat on return. Not a glance....

+ 1 You say it the way it is.....My blood boils every-time I see them arguing with victims. I have tried to take some pictures from the step-up area, but they now have nasty <deleted>....positioned everywhere....2 days ago they ripped a couple of young white guys off.....They let one of them go to his hotel to get the cash, he was shadowed from across the road and 20 m behind all the way to the hotel and back...I did not even have a chance to talk to the poor kid and at least suggest to call the tourist police and city hall with a somewhat dramatized version to get help. The <deleted>...with his yellow waterproof bag immediate realized i was following them and

gave me the looks. Disgusting scum criminals. The beach front starts looking really nasty....This place will never get cleaned up. It only going downhill further in every respect. MS>

+ 1 You say it the way it is.....My blood boils every-time I see them arguing with victims. I have tried to take some pictures from the step-up area, but they now have nasty <deleted>....positioned everywhere....2 days ago they ripped a couple of young white guys off.....They let one of them go to his hotel to get the cash, he was shadowed from across the road and 20 m behind all the way to the hotel and back...I did not even have a chance to talk to the poor kid and at least suggest to call the tourist police and city hall with a somewhat dramatized version to get help. The <deleted>...with his yellow waterproof bag immediate realized i was following them and

gave me the looks. Disgusting scum criminals. The beach front starts looking really nasty....This place will never get cleaned up. It only going downhill further in every respect. MS>

on top of that walk down past central, used to be girls, now its just a bunch of dodgy looking guys sitting in deckchairs on the footpath drinking beer, and today the mikes scammers were spread right across the footpath in deckchairs so you had to walk between the thugs, the other thread says people dont come for the beach but I sure didnt come here to be around guys looking for fights, I came to get away from them

The scams are going strong in the usual locations. Daily in front of Mike Shopping. City Police there daily....Seen huge sums of money being paid by all kind of tourists. Amazing and disgusting! MS>

nothing has changed.

my photo scam total of incidents is now up to 115