mazda cx5 which one to buy ?

thaiscot

Was thinking of buying a new mazda cx5 but not sure wether to get the 2.5 petrol or the 2.2 diesel , i believe the petrol also has very good fuel economy which along with low range torque is usually one of the reasons to buy a diesel, whats the general felling amongs people in the know ?

I can't speak for Mazda's engines, but it ends up as cheap or cheaper to drive the diesel Vigo 3.0 as the petrol Vios 1.8 for long trips.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

so what's the fuel economy for those? Vios is 1.5 also:). I would guess the vios could gt 13-14 km/l on long distance drives. The mazda cx5 - I reckon I'd go for the diesel, but would drive first to be sure. That will be more efficient than the vigo and just about every other diesel on the market today.

I can't speak for Mazda's engines, but it ends up as cheap or cheaper to drive the diesel Vigo 3.0 as the petrol Vios 1.8 for long trips.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

so what's the fuel economy for those? Vios is 1.5 also:). I would guess the vios could gt 13-14 km/l on long distance drives. The mazda cx5 - I reckon I'd go for the diesel, but would drive first to be sure. That will be more efficient than the vigo and just about every other diesel on the market today.

if you need 4WD, it has to be the diesel. If you don't need 4WD, it all depends on your expected usage. The 2.0L is fine for traffic jams, the 2.5L better for highway cruising. Neither will beat the diesel when it comes to carrying a load though.

• Like 1

I believe they go on sale round about the 7th of this month, i live in chiangmai and havent seen any at the showrooms but my local dealer has shown me some that he has round the back (probably waiting for the 7th), i believe that the new skytrax engine delivers excellent fuel economy even for the petrol thats why i wad wondering if it is worth buying the diesel or not , but which ever one i think they are very nice inside and out

The premium for the diesel is going to be worth it if you plan to keep the car for a long time or drive it a lot. Id imagine the diesel top trim comes with additional luxuries and airbags as do the fords titanium trims. Buying the diesel is likely a desicion based on the additional options rather than just the engine.

that said, the previous gen ford focus tdci came similarly specced to the gasoline 2litre so maybe not

Edited by Retro Reactive

Personally I would eliminate the 2.0L petrol on the basis of 1,500kg / 154hp = slow.

The 2.5L petrol and the 2.2L diesel seem to have mostly the same equipment level, apart from the 4WD which is on the Diesel only.

Edited by Jitar

Personally I would eliminate the 2.0L petrol on the basis of 1,500kg / 154hp = slow.

The 2.5L petrol and the 2.2L diesel seem to have mostly the same equipment level, apart from the 4WD which is on the Diesel only.

According to the Mazda Thailand fact sheet - the 2.0L petrol has 165hp with 1.459kg, 200kg less than the 2.2D 175 hp with 1.650kg, (2.5 petrol 192PS/1.529kg)

With this power/weight ration and 370k premium for the diesel the "small" petrol has a good chance..........in my point of view.

Yep, the website brochure says 165hp fir the 2.0L. The Mazda flyer quoted 154 hp for the 2.0L, probably an old number.

Still don't think the 2.0L performance will be that impressive with only 210 Nm at 4,000 rpm but a test drive should show.

No doubt the 2.0L will sell as the low price model just like the 2.0L CRV does.

Just like the CR-V, the extra bigger 2.5L with a bit more torque, lower in the rev range would nicer.

The diesel will feel and accelerate better than its power to weight ratio suggests because there is a lot more torque and power in the mid range, even with the extra weight.

The 2.0L performance of the CX-5 is on par with the CR-V 2.4L., the 0-100 sprint for the 2.0L CX-5 is tested around 10.2 sec while the 2.4 CR-V takes about 11 sec. The new 2.0L Skyactiv engine develops 85% of it's peak torque around 2500 RPM already which makes it responsive in the lower rev range as well. The 2.4L Honda develops 220 NM @ 4300 RPM so it has to be pushed quite a bit further.

The Skyactiv G 2.5L engine does 0-100 in 8.05 sec, torque 256 NM at a low 3250 RPM. The 2.2. Diesel has more torque but also some extra weight to carry around, 0-100 in around 8 sec, overtaking 80-120 km/h is about 6.4 sec and probably a bit quicker compared to the 2.5L

CX-5 2.5G A/T 0-100:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHiEs7CVhyE

CX-5 2.0G A/T 0-100:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KDLtWjxLbM

CX-5 2.2D A/T 0-100:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izc3aaKagc0

CR-V 2.4L A/T 0-100:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uEADiJp3CQ

It has been so long in arriving, now wonder if the Ford Eurosport will fit the bill better ? now on Ford Thailand website with a 1.5 engine but no price yet, due in showrooms this month ? or so say..

or how long before we see the Mazda CX 3 ?

It has been so long in arriving, now wonder if the Ford Eurosport will fit the bill better ? now on Ford Thailand website with a 1.5 engine but no price yet, due in showrooms this month ? or so say..

or how long before we see the Mazda CX 3 ?

Ford have a big media day in a few days time - we know they'll be launching the Fiesta minor change (with ecoboost option), and it's anticipated the same event will also be used to launch the ecosport (no invites for other events yet).

AFAIK, the CX-3 is till only in planning/dev. Unlikely we'll see it anytime soon. We will see the Jazz based SUV around the end of next year (reveals later this month in JP), and possibly also the Indo-made Toyota Rush and Chevy Trax sometime next year too.

had test drive to day at Pattaya dealer with 2.0 petrol and 2.2. d - have to say the diesel runs great but still the 2.0 is the better value for money, delivery time only 2 wekks depends on the colour...Mazda PTY only willing to give 1st year insurance, window film, floor mats and frame for the number plare as premium and no cash discount - any other expieriences?

still thinking about engine and color - 2.0/2.5 and white/meteor grey brilliant metallic, and about my loved Accord 2009/2.0 as they offerred 620k

Generally Turbo Diesels are not ideal for short trips plus Mazda have a had issues with engine oil - fuel dilution because of the diesel particle filter in some other countries, especially when used for short trips / heavy traffic. If the Thai CX-5 has a DPF, the petrol version may be better for city driving / sitting around idling and running the air con.

Thanks for highlighting the issue with the DPF

read into this when checking the 2.2di engine, not that wikipedia is a bulletproof source but read the following:

"The Mazda CX-5 with SKYACTIV-D engines were reported to have oil levels risen earlier than expected, which requires owners to check the vehicle's engine oil every 1000 kilometres or every month, but vehicles were reported to be returned to dealerships every 2000 km to prevent potential engine damage.[19]

Complaint with response suggesting Mazda has addressed this issue.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/tools-and-advice/q-and-a/mazda_cx_5_diesel_oil_issues

Aside from the torque and slight fuel economy advantage of the diesel, the main advantage be the long term reliability over higher kms, havent had much time to read into the particulars but does anyone have information about whether this problem has been solved and if the Skyactiv could suffer long term reliability that commercial diesels in utes are reknown for?. ironically looks as though the petrol engine could be the safer bet. It be a shame given the racechipping and other modifications id be making to the diesel but it be a serious killjoy with the price premium if wasnt a dependable and strong little beast.

Only did a short trip yesterday 35 KM total and see 5 new CX 5 on the roads, so must be getting to customers ?

It was an unusual release for TH - practically every dealer in the country had stock *before* the official release - at the media day, most journos had already driven it too, LOL.

Quite the opposite of a Ford launch ;)

Generally Turbo Diesels are not ideal for short trips plus Mazda have a had issues with engine oil - fuel dilution because of the diesel particle filter in some other countries, especially when used for short trips / heavy traffic. If the Thai CX-5 has a DPF, the petrol version may be better for city driving / sitting around idling and running the air con.

Thanks for highlighting the issue with the DPF

read into this when checking the 2.2di engine, not that wikipedia is a bulletproof source but read the following:

"The Mazda CX-5 with SKYACTIV-D engines were reported to have oil levels risen earlier than expected, which requires owners to check the vehicle's engine oil every 1000 kilometres or every month, but vehicles were reported to be returned to dealerships every 2000 km to prevent potential engine damage.[19]

Complaint with response suggesting Mazda has addressed this issue.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/tools-and-advice/q-and-a/mazda_cx_5_diesel_oil_issues

Aside from the torque and slight fuel economy advantage of the diesel, the main advantage be the long term reliability over higher kms, havent had much time to read into the particulars but does anyone have information about whether this problem has been solved and if the Skyactiv could suffer long term reliability that commercial diesels in utes are reknown for?. ironically looks as though the petrol engine could be the safer bet. It be a shame given the racechipping and other modifications id be making to the diesel but it be a serious killjoy with the price premium if wasnt a dependable and strong little beast.

The first thing to check is if Mazda fit a DPF to Thai CX-5's? Apparently DPF's are not needed for the modified version of Euro 4 that Thailand uses, at least for now. Malaysia uses higher sulphur fuel and less strict emissions standards than Thailand so they may do a version without the DPF, like the local pickups.

Some diesel CX-5's have had oil dilution problems but Mazda is not the only manufacturer with DPF issues, E.G. UK AA: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/diesel-particulate-filters.html

Manufacturers are trying to improve but the system light diesels use for active regeneration is a poor compromise to achieve emission limits at a cost.

Edited by Jitar
  • Like 1

Saw a truck load of CX5 on the road up from Rayong today so they must be getting delivered to dealers now.

As I suspected...being sourced from AAT's plant in Rayong; and not Malaysian imports as some had posted previously.

Umm, Rayong is where the docks and holding yards are :)

• Like 1

Saw a truck load of CX5 on the road up from Rayong today so they must be getting delivered to dealers now.

As I suspected...being sourced from AAT's plant in Rayong; and not Malaysian imports as some had posted previously.

Thought they would be at laem chabang...in any case, I stand corrected as I just spoke to a Mazda rep and confirmed they are being made in Malaysia.

Also, for anyone wanted a view and sit-in, there is a white benzine model on display at big c extra central road. I still,can't fall in love with that Mazda front grille "smile" and its darn small as well...smaller than my first generation Honda CRV...at least in cargo room. Fit and finish in the cabin does look nice, however.

PS: No test drives around big c, however.

• Like 2

The first thing to check is if Mazda fit a DPF to Thai CX-5's? Apparently DPF's are not needed for the modified version of Euro 4 that Thailand uses, at least for now. Malaysia uses higher sulphur fuel and less strict emissions standards than Thailand so they may do a version without the DPF, like the local pickups.

Some diesel CX-5's have had oil dilution problems but Mazda is not the only manufacturer with DPF issues, E.G. UK AA: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/diesel-particulate-filters.html

Manufacturers are trying to improve but the system light diesels use for active regeneration is a poor compromise to achieve emission limits at a cost.

Cheers for the explanation and article, Yes i saw how Malays were upset their sulphur rich fuel meant they were exporting diesel cx5s to thailand not available to them domestically, Im sure the many ranger 3.2 wildtrack owners can sympathize when seeing truck loads of 3.2s going off to australian lots while they are left waiting.

I saw this article http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Community/Car-Magazines-Blogs/Chris-Chilton-Blog/Are-diesel-particulate-filters-more-trouble-than-theyre-worth/ which indicates some people are removing the DPF, I know I put a turbo back downpipe on my pjs, noisy but great power without a need to remap, something im not sure about given the mazda, I know the exhaust is a solution for the high compresion 14:1 (2.0l) and 13:1 (2.5l) so wouldnt want to solve one problem by possibly affecting engine longevity/reliability.

also apparently mazda's remedy cited in my previous reply was not effective (the firmware update and new dipstick with raised x mark) as seen towards bottom in the comments section of the article, real shame the diesel is having some issues which ive been reading on lots of different websites as of late, the stock 420 torque just smokes the 2.5l even, not to mention the higher running costs and awd.

If the diesel isnt going to be a reliable option ill test the petrols and see if the 2 litre has adequate power or whether the 2.5's premium is worth it as the bose speakers and oem 19'' rims dont soften the price for me considering i will likely be swapping them out for my own.

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2012/medium-4x4/mazda/mazda-announces-fix-for-cx-5-oil-problem-34231

Thought they would be at laem chabang...in any case, I stand corrected as I just spoke to a Mazda rep and confirmed they are being made in Malaysia.

Also, for anyone wanted a view and sit-in, there is a white benzine model on display at big c extra central road. I still,can't fall in love with that Mazda front grille "smile" and its darn small as well...smaller than my first generation Honda CRV...at least in cargo room. Fit and finish in the cabin does look nice, however.

PS: No test drives around big c, however.

Pretty tough to even call the cx5 an SUV...I mean, without the back seats down, there's hardly more cargo space than an x2 or 3.

In fact, may even be more in the x3!

Now that seen it in person, leaning towards top spec Fortuner. The overall roundish styling cues are kinda girlish as well.