Locale Settings in Ubuntu

raro

This is a major annoyance and was easy to fix in the local settings in windows.

Time settings = Thailand.

result: I get the Thai year and all the other local settings and there is apparently no way to fine tune it other than what I found on the internet but is rather suitable for script kiddies:

f.ex.:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Locale

anyone can tell me what exactly I have to do here?

I recently installed Lubuntu 13.10, selecting Bangkok as location, but English (US) as language, during setup. Using chromium browser, going into Settings, can set Search to Google english [sic]. Nil Thai language trying to take over my comp...

Maybe you could update your Ubuntu? Not sure about how to exclude Thai if you browse with FFox etc. Cheers, AA

Just go to settings and change the timezone to BANGKOK (that is in Thailand). What is the problem with this? I do it twice a year when returning from EUROPE.

Just easier than windows...

post-71989-0-11893800-1383391613_thumb.j

post-71989-0-10605200-1383391616_thumb.j

Edited by Aachen
  • Like 1

The thing is people use a operating system for there computer for years, then one day they wake-up and decide to start using another operating system. With MS Windows users the motivation is often that it's more and more difficult to activate illegal versions of the Microsoft operating system.

Linux is another operating system, it is not compatible with MS Windows, and most things you know how it works in MS Windows work different with the different Linux distributions.

Therefor if people want to change from MS Windows to Linux (Ubuntu in this case) download the free manual and read a little bit before you do the big step.... You can get your 100% free Ubuntu Linux manual here http://ubuntugeek.tradepub.com/free/w_ubun05/prgm.cgi

well...first off, I got pissed of with Microsoft because I paid for all that stuff and when I wanted to download a copy of Office 2007 (which I legally own) M$ basically told me that I downloaded it before and now you can buy something else (office 2013).

And no, I will not read a manual as I have never read any manuals in my life and I use computers for some 25 years - all self-taught or with the help of friends. That's why I was hoping to get some advise here in an internet forum but I might have been mistaken.

@Aachen (bei Düren?): yes, that's the easy part, but now you will have the Thai year and not the international year. Also number formatting etc. is slightly different from how I want it to look like. Ad that was the question: How to finetune it without going into scripting.

The problem is that Ubuntu uses a different graphical user interface, and therefore, most people who use a different Linux distribution cannot help you with the settings.

I installed Ubuntu 13.10 a few times now and I never got the date in Thai format, did you selected USA International keyboard or did you selected Thai keyboard and Thai language?

When you installed Ubuntu (I assume you working with 13.10) you get a purple screen and after a few seconds (depending on computer speed) you get the question to Try or to Install with in the left column a selection of language (best to leave this to English). After you selected Install you get a selection for where you want to install Ubuntu. After that you get the question “Where are you?” that is Bangkok... even if you in Pattaya or Khon Kaen...

For keyboard you best to select the English (US) – English US Alternative International or if you know better like you're German and have a German keyboard... It's easier to add an alternative keyboard after installation....

Then after a few questions about if you want a login everything Ubuntu and a Ubuntu One (cloud account) installation will begin in full speed... If you have a active Internet connection Ubuntu install will automatic download the latest version of the files it needs for installation. So if you want to install quickly its best to disconnect from the internet...

After Ubuntu restarts everything is as it suppose to be, and you can now enter a Thai keyboard, by clicking on the OFF button in the right top corner and then select keyboard (at the bottom of the keyboard tool you see “Layout Settings” it is best to add a USA Alternative International first and add the Thai keyboard after that....

It is possible that you language support is not fully installed, selected the same settings menu but now instead of selecting keyboard you go for “Language Support” and add the language you want to add....

System settings (if it's not already in your Ubuntu launcher, hit the super/windows key then type system and it should pop up) -> Language Support -> Regional Formats (tab) -- from here you can pick the regional format you like, i.e. how date, time, currency and stuff is displayed.

thanks for that, found it.

it is just not as customizable as in windows. Using UK settings now as it comes closest to my likings: 24 hours, dd/mm/yyyy, and currency settings....well...I'd like to have the Baht sign rather than the Pound sign but that's what we probably call a trade-off.

Actually I think you'll find that Linux is far more customizable than Windows. When you're on the language support page click the [help] button to get up the language support help page, then click "advanced support settings" for this informtion:

Advanced format settings

The Language Support method for setting regional formats assumes that one language-country combination (locale) is sufficient to set all the format aspects in accordance with your preferences. Even if that is often the case, situations when you want more fine tuned format settings may occur. For such a case, below are some variables that you may want to assign locale names individually. You can do so by editing the .profile configuration file in your home folder.

LC_NUMERIC

How you format your numbers. For example, in many countries a point is used as a decimal separator, while others use a comma.

LC_TIME

How your time and date are formatted.

LC_MONETARY

What currency you use, its name, and its symbol.

Click here for more LC_* variables with explanations.

An example

Take a user in the US who choose “English (United States)” in the drop-down list on theRegional Formats tab. If s/he prefers that dates and times are displayed more like what ISO 8601 prescribes than what's typically the case in the US, the below line may be added to the .profile file:

export LC_TIME="en_DK.UTF-8"

Show me where in Windows you can have this bit-level control.