I Want To Buy A Used Car

Hi, advice please . I have between 1.2 and 1.3 mil Baht to spend on a used car. I am looking for a 2003-2005 car with lowish kms travelled , at least a 2 litre engine. My choice originally was a BMW 323i SE, would consider a good Audi or a Merc or possibly something else. I have seen many BMW 3 series advertised on onetwocar.com at that kind of price. What car would you choose ? Where would you look ? Thanks.

Best to stick with a BMW if you want a Euro car. Mercs are way more than your budget, and you'd have a hard time trying to sell an Audi.

I'd have a look at the 3.0L Honda Accord too, nice motors, all the bells and whistles, and a smarter choice.

Best to stick with a BMW if you want a Euro car. Mercs are way more than your budget, and you'd have a hard time trying to sell an Audi.

I'd have a look at the 3.0L Honda Accord too, nice motors, all the bells and whistles, and a smarter choice.

Hi Terdsak....I think you might be working with a well known and well respected EXPAT car dealer in Bkk ? Anyway....what would you charge to help me find a car ?...Accompany me to view a few motors ?

Between 1.2 Million and 1.3 Million in fact, 1,249,000 baht is a Brand new Top of the Range Toyota Fortuner.

Maybe not a luxury Car, but it ain't exactly slumming it. :o

Yes but to me a Brand new Toyota Fortuner is not a luxury car. The 2004 bmw 323i SE looks great and seems more luxurious. WHICH IS BEST ?

3 series BMWs are nice, but only buy from approved BMW dealers as you can have loads of electrical problems with these cars, so best get something with a warranty. I find the air-con can be ropey on these cars too.

Value for money the Accord would be best, or even a 2004/5 Camry with 2 years of warranty remaining, and also loads of toys, but only 2.4L available, however loads of power.

Fortuner is an excellent choice for SUV, but obviously a different drive to a sedan.

The BMW will be more luxurious.

I bought a Fortuner, Cos it's the Motor I wanted in Thailand. I figure Diesel engines are very reliable and inexpensive to maintain, a BMW would get a bit expensive for parts servicing etc.

I don't regret buying a Fortuner, it's luxurious to me cos I had a 1999 Pick up before that. :o

All good points. Accord is nice and indeed a smarter choice, but after all it's still a Honda and if you're looking for a luxury car I'd go european (though those accord 3.0s have plenty of luxury).

Mercs are boring, imo, oops sorry corkscrew (yours are nice). Nice cars tho, but yeah out of your price range anyway (and mine). Depends on your age, but I'm a bit younger and I like the Bimmers. Having a hard time selling your Audi can be to your advantage as a buyer tho. You can find awesome deals on Audis, and they are totally underrated European cars. There are a handful of A8's around BKK, and I've seen a used one right around that price range.... granted it was a 98, but 340hp quattro is pretty much unbeatable round these parts. You'd flat out embarass a 3-series with an A8. Don't believe me? Drive one, and floor it... bliss.

But you said 2002-2003, right? My vote is the BMW E39 5-series. More car for your money than a 3, and more 'luxurious.' I think you can get yourself a 2002 E39 523i for around 1.3 if you bargain right. Then get yourself the M-style front bumper/grille, side skirts, rear apron, dual exhausts, and 18" staggered M-parallels from the 7-series with a nice set of shoes and you've got yourself a repectable 5, cuz the stock E39 is zzzzzzzzzzz boring.

There is a reason why they are called the Ultimate Driving Machines.... because they ARE.

I have owned a 7 series ( 740 ) 3 5 series ( 530/540/M5) a few M3's and some quattros, all in the Uk though. IMO my current car has more style and power than most of them , it's a 98 XJR.

All great cars but depends what you wish to achieve by buying the car. Some people enjoy the looks of onlookers , others could care less. Also the after service care should be a big factor in Los.

I have owned a 7 series ( 740 ) 3 5 series ( 530/540/M5) a few M3's and some quattros, all in the Uk though. IMO my current car has more style and power than most of them , it's a 98 XJR.

All great cars but depends what you wish to achieve by buying the car. Some people enjoy the looks of onlookers , others could care less. Also the after service care should be a big factor in Los.

Are you actually recommending the man buy a Jag--ahem, a FORD? In Thailand? Service and repairs would be the death of him. I don't even think he could find an R-series if he wanted to... I haven't seen a 2000 or newer Jag/Ford in Thailand since I've been here, do they still import these things?

Horses for courses, but do you really prefer your XJR to your old M5? The E39 M5 had just rude power and torque and understated style... which series were your M's? IMO the E36 M3 and the E39 M5 were two of the best cars BMW ever put out.

I don't even think he could find an R-series if he wanted to... I haven't seen a 2000 or newer Jag/Ford in Thailand since I've been here, do they still import these things?

Here's a 2005 XJ6 3.2L and several others including a 1995 XJR 4.0L (1.38Mil). I was surprised at the price of the 2005 XJ6 at 1.45Mil, thought they would be a lot more expensive then that. But I agree about the maintenance issues.

http://www.onetwocar.com/CarInfor/cardetai...F08050016&row=2

Are you actually recommending the man buy a Jag--ahem, a FORD? In Thailand? Service and repairs would be the death of him. I don't even think he could find an R-series if he wanted to... I haven't seen a 2000 or newer Jag/Ford in Thailand since I've been here, do they still import these things?

Horses for courses, but do you really prefer your XJR to your old M5? The E39 M5 had just rude power and torque and understated style... which series were your M's? IMO the E36 M3 and the E39 M5 were two of the best cars BMW ever put out.

The M5 was an E34 , the E39 would be a nicer car than my XJR except for the classic series 3 lines that grace the X300 range of Jags. My E36 was a lovely car but the Jag has more presence IMO.

Again I have owned these cars in UK , I have no idea the service support that Thailand would provide. From your post it doesn't sound a viable option to have a leaping cat in Los.

:o

A BMW 3 series is luxury???? They're barely bigger than a Honda Civic?? And to me luxury primarily means 'comfort' whereas BMW's are more sporty.

1.2 mil is perhaps not an obvious price range... Like for older cars you'd pay less. For truly luxury cars that are recent, you'd pay more.

What I'd do is perhaps look at Volvo S80's? And Nissan Teana, indeed.

But would I pay serious money (+1 mil) for a used European car? "Financial Harakiri" on maintenance hassle comes to mind.

Honda Accord should be bigger and more comfy and more affordable (maintenance!!!) than a Beemer.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Another nice motor to look at is the Nissan Teana, I didn't like them when they first came out, but a mate's got one and they're fully loaded with the luxury bits.

It is very nice. I actually put a reservation in for one (I own a Nissan Bluebird SSS now and find Nissan highly reliable) but decided the price was just outside of my comfort level. Sitting in it is like sitting in your easy chair at home and that was the other problem for me, it is BIG.

All good points. Accord is nice and indeed a smarter choice, but after all it's still a Honda and if you're looking for a luxury car I'd go european (though those accord 3.0s have plenty of luxury).

Mercs are boring, imo, oops sorry corkscrew (yours are nice). Nice cars tho, but yeah out of your price range anyway (and mine). Depends on your age, but I'm a bit younger and I like the Bimmers. Having a hard time selling your Audi can be to your advantage as a buyer tho. You can find awesome deals on Audis, and they are totally underrated European cars. There are a handful of A8's around BKK, and I've seen a used one right around that price range.... granted it was a 98, but 340hp quattro is pretty much unbeatable round these parts. You'd flat out embarass a 3-series with an A8. Don't believe me? Drive one, and floor it... bliss.

But you said 2002-2003, right? My vote is the BMW E39 5-series. More car for your money than a 3, and more 'luxurious.' I think you can get yourself a 2002 E39 523i for around 1.3 if you bargain right. Then get yourself the M-style front bumper/grille, side skirts, rear apron, dual exhausts, and 18" staggered M-parallels from the 7-series with a nice set of shoes and you've got yourself a repectable 5, cuz the stock E39 is zzzzzzzzzzz boring.

There is a reason why they are called the Ultimate Driving Machines.... because they ARE.

:D Thanks...and they are really fun when you have a pretty co-pilot. :o

Chonabot...

Don't know who 's in your avatar...but you're a lucky guy!!! :o

Chonabot's avatar is Jessica Alba.. :D

As for luxury I agree with Chanchao and Terdsak. I had an E39 BMW 5 with pretty much an M5 body kit, loved it till maintenance started getting stupid, I fecked the engine and the front right suspension, breaking one of the alloys in the process. So I decided it's SUV time and got a new Fortuner.

Before getting the Fortuner, I was checking out the small European cars, 3 series and C class, both couldn't comfortably fit farang sized people. I would in the price range look at Camry or Accord for a sedan type luxury car.

post-19170-1146581310_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thairish

Forget Volvos, they break down all the time. Whenever I see a busted car at the side of the road nine times out of ten it's a Volvo.

What baloney!

Volvo's make great used cars. They are strong and well made. (no more expensive to maintain than a Benz or bmw)

The 700 series have the best seats in the business. In Thailand they don't seem to hold their value

like the Jap cars.

For 1.2M though I'd be considering the new civic. It's not really such a small car anymore. And less maintenance and fuel than the euro-barges out there.

1.2 mill. , it should be a camry or accord.

either of them should give you all the car you are ever likely to need , in a reliable low profile car.

unless of course you feel the need to impress the easily impressed , in which case buy an overpriced and overated benz or bmw and pay for the badge.

I concur.

Germans are bent on pricing themselves out of the market completely and their products do not justify prices in any sense. Their combined market share was less than 2% last year. That's the whole luxury+sporty segment.

• 2 weeks later...
I concur.

Germans are bent on pricing themselves out of the market completely and their products do not justify prices in any sense. Their combined market share was less than 2% last year. That's the whole luxury+sporty segment.

Thanks guys, it is a choice then for me between Toyota Camry ( 2004.05), Honda Accord 3.0 ( 2004-2005) and BMW 323i SE ( 2004) OR 5 SERIES ( 2002-2003 )........WHAT WOULD BE WISEST CHOICE and Where would you go to get the best deal ?

I concur.

Thanks guys, it is a choice then for me between Toyota Camry ( 2004.05), Honda Accord 3.0 ( 2004-2005) and BMW 323i SE ( 2004) OR 5 SERIES ( 2002-2003 )........WHAT WOULD BE WISEST CHOICE and Where would you go to get the best deal ?

Well a "wise" choice would be a Camry (although I can't stand the look of them...real ugly buggers) or Accord (if it was me this would be my choice out of the 2 :D) The heart would say 5 series....and forget the 3.

End of the day its your personal choice, the BMW is a real drivers car but might hit your pocket hard in cost of running...I know some people complain of reliability but I know a few people with 5 series around the age your looking at and have had no issues other than normal wear and tear/servicing costs. If you like your driving and don't fancy the possible expense of running a BMW opt for the Accord, its also a pretty good rewarding car to drive although the fit and finish aren't quite upto the BMW.......and forget the Camry if your the kind of person who enjoys to "drive" it has the fastest 0-Sleep time in that class (funnily enough just like the Altis :o)

Before getting the Fortuner, I was checking out the small European cars, 3 series and C class, both couldn't comfortably fit farang sized people. I would in the price range look at Camry or Accord for a sedan type luxury car.

I disagree - C class at least is fine, unless you're in the back... (I'm 6'2", and no issues with it at all as I'm always in the front...).

Our other car is a Mitsubishi G-Wagon - bought the year before the Fortuner came out (Fortuner is more wife-friendly in the looks department).

Driving around Bangkok - personally, I prefer the G-Wagon over the Merc. - you can put it into 4-wheel drive in the rainy season, and there's no risk of bottoming out on some of the more severe speed bumps or pot holes.

There's also the minor problem that, in the Merc. I haven't figured out how to take out the key (can only be done in Park), then put the car into Neutral (can only move the stick out of Park with the key in), so parking at a shopping mall means finding a "proper" space.

In my opinion - I'd go for the Fortuner unless all your driving is going to be on the better roads (like the expressways). If you EVER go upcountry, the Fortuner is definitely the one to get...

I disagree - C class at least is fine, unless you're in the back... (I'm 6'2", and no issues with it at all as I'm always in the front...).

Indeed you are right Mike, sorry, actually meant to write 4 farang sized people! I'm very happy with the Fortuner.

Cars in Thailand are way overpriced, regardless of the make/model. However, some will give you more bang for your baht and those are the Japanese models. Parts and service are easier to find/cheaper than for European or American brands. Both Honda Accord and Toyota Camry are great family sized sedans with good engines and excellent handling. Both cars rate more or less the same in the US. Some of the SUV's these days are pretty luxurious for a sporty vehicle, but they do not have the handling/cornering capabilities of a car. I agree with the poster who said that Volvos have a strong body; Mercedes have a solid body too but it's the electronics/general parts that will kill your bank account.