Outrageous Double Pricing in Thailand!

Stradavarius37

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the OP was humorous !! it’s nice to take a principled stand now and again.

But sadly it will be fruitless and we are literally generations away from being politically correct here in Thailand.

Imagine the stink and the media coverage if we in Britain tried to double charge someone from India or Thailand twice as much to enter Madam Tussaudes in London. No f****** way!! , we just say “”oooh are you ok?? your looking a little peaky” and show them the way to the nearest NHS hospital and administer £000’s worth of free treatment.

Sadly , A level playing field won’t be here in Thailand in our generation…

but eyes wide open. We all know this and we all have a choice J

Edited by metisdead
Edited for font and profanity.

I grabbed my protesting 7 year old son and left, because I will not let his happiness be a barrier to my firm moral stand against such vile corruption... No elephant is worth paying an extra 50 baht because of the color of my skin.

Wow, I sincerely admire you for your high moral standards and wish majority of people would have them!

By the way, these high standards apply only to " such vile corruption" or for everything in general in life?

A few months ago, I was in a queue to buy tickets into a national park. The dark-skinned Asians in front of me (I'm guessing they were Indian) paid the Thai fee, and the operator asked me for the farang fee.

I objected loudly on the grounds of racism. I pointed out that the folk in front were not Thai, and at least I had a Thia licence. It was obviously based on skin colour and nothing else.

I still had to pay the farang price w00t.gif

Nationality has NOTHING to do with it.

• Like 1

They wanted to let me into Nong Nooch recently for the Thai price, as I too have a local licence.

I told them 'I don't need your stinking charity'......spent the difference on some meat, woke the tiger up and fed it to him!

Anybody not understanding better duck!

Honestly, I've read so many posts here at TV re Thai Double pricing aimed at Farangs.

But in real, the double pricing is Thai vs NON-Thai.

Pray tell me, why some farang tourists take it so seriously as to spoil their own holiday?

I personally budget out my travels and will not whine & gripe to spend a couple of extra bahts.

Holidays are meant to be fun & relaxing - not to be violent & aggressive.

(No I am not a millionaire, I still cant afford a Lamborghini nor am I from a developed country)

Edit

It happens else where too

Edited by ravip
  • Like 1

Right!!I agree-I am of the same mind-there are many places to go on a day out so you didnt ruin your sons day out perhaps he learned a good lesson about priciples.I hate this stupid Farang thing here as well.and I will go out of my way to set a principled standard because If no-one fights it it will never stop.The airports in Canada were illegally charging an extra tax and we had a big kaffufel about it at the check in, and the wife was nagging,just pay justpay,but in the end I won and all of the people won because after their deception was revealed they could nio longer charge anyone the tax and it was dropped..So the people on here who do not have any backbobne they will benefit from the few who do have strong priciples.Normally I do not buy anything unless it has a visible price sticker just to avoid this non-sense which by the way goes on in Hong kong as well as most Asian countries I assume..Not so much in China because they havent learned how to do it yet,but it can only backfire on them in the long run..GOOD ON YA MATE.

I was taking my son to the Sampran Elephant Grounds and Crocodile Farm yesterday. They charged my son the Thai price (he is a luk krueng) but wanted me to pay the farang tourist price!! I showed them my Thai driver's licences and used my best Thai phrase (Mee hong nam mai?) but the gate agents were merciless. I grabbed my protesting 7 year old son and left, because I will not let his happiness be a barrier to my firm moral stand against such vile corruption... No elephant is worth paying an extra 50 baht because of the color of my skin.

I got into my new Mercedes and drove off...

I for one would not have deprived my child of an experience I dangled in front of his nose, only to pull it away seconds later due to a minor obstacle in the shape of a principle.

But you go ahead and do what you do, and I do what I do. I'm sure we'll be fine. The funny thing is that your post is not far from what one would expect in a real scenario.

So I still believe we should have a poll...

wink.png

Edited by Forethat

I'm trying to figure out why I wasted 10 minutes of my life reading this thread. OK, nice job on the sarcasm but it wasn't funny...really. As long as you're pleased with yourself while you're sitting there guffawing and snorting through your nose loudy as you laugh about how clever you are.

Well maybe same principle as they use in the UK?

First, a law get's introduced in Scotland. Only Scot's moan and make noise :-(
Once that's settled, the law get's introduced in Northern Ireland. Only Irish moan and stamp their feet :-(
Once that's settled, the law get's introduced in Wales. Only Walsh moan, can hardly hear them :-(
Once that's settled, the law get's introduced in England. Only English moan, but they always moan ;-)
In the end, all of the UK has the same law and "equality" ;-)

Voila :-)

So I assume very similar here in Thailand ;-)
First the prices where written in Thai.
Then we had prices written in Thai and higher prices in Arabic numerals.
Now it's mostly just Arabic numerals.
Here where I live, most Thais have to pay farang prices by now and sure, they don't like it either.
Although, Thai people might get a discount ;-)

The night boat still charges different prices. For Thai 350, Farang 450 and Burmese 550. No discount :-)

I'm trying to figure out why I wasted 10 minutes of my life reading this thread. OK, nice job on the sarcasm but it wasn't funny...really.

Never underestimate the power of timing. Considering the topic that launched the OP I'd say it was pretty good.

If there had been a poll it would have been perfect.

• Like 1

Only once have i not got Thai price with my licence and that was on the yellow submarine in Pattaya and as that was a birthday treat for our son ,i paid up .

theres a yellow submarine in pattaya? wow i never knew, i wonder what other money spinners are lurking in and around pattaya

Did they play the song too?

Was that the same Mercedes you imported without paying the normal 110% duty and tax by using your wife's hi-so family name at the Customs office? Sorry that was the Ferrari wasn't it? Yes I can't understand why they try to charge foreigners ridiculous gate fees at public attractions. A real put off to living in Thailand....

If you don't deal with it OP .... you will live a life of misery. You obviously prefer living in Thailand over your own country, so why not use that to fuel your happiness and not bang on about the negatives. A few months ago I was stopped by a policeman on my bike outside Central in Pattaya Second Road. I had my young son on the bike with me, who is half Thai. I showed my licence, which is not a Thai licence and actually not correct. When the policeman saw my son was half Thai he started talking to him about football. I was not fined. The NEXT day I got stopped by the same policeman. Showed him my licence .... bla bla bla .... 400 baht fine in police station. I showed him photo of my son, tried to remind him of happy conversation the day before .... no recognition whatsoever. Welcome to Thailand .... enjoy.

• Like 2

Experienced a similar situation at Farm ChokChai on Wednesday.

We were two adults and ten year olds (our son and a friend of his). Our son, being ha-zip/ ha-zip, is far taller than your average 10 year old 100% Thai. Being over 140cm they charged for him as an adult. This is quite common in Thailand and also amounts to discrimination.

On the point of driving licence, I do not recall it ever being rejected when using it to obtain Thai admission/ charge rates.

If you worry about double pricing, stop whinning and stay at home..it seems many farangs have chosen the wrong country to visit, to stay, long and short term....thailand is not the only country under the sky...

dont like it buck up and go....stop preaching " matter of principle " slogan.

Circa 1996. Literally, standing on the steps of the court with my Barrister. My 'opponent' and his barrister are deep in conversation in the foyer. Both Barristers are going backwards and forwards. My barrister keeps returning with 'offers' of settlement. I am standing firm. I am on the side of right, and I am pushing a principle. I consider myself to be a person of 'high principles'.

My Barrister agrees with my priciples too. But he feels the latest offer to be 'fair and reasonable'. He tells me that if we proceed to court that there is a remote possibility I may not win, and should I wish to proceed to the supreme court it is going to cost me a motza.

Again I push the 'principle' of the thing.

He is a very tall man and he looks down at me and says.

'Mr. ********* Do you know why us Barristers send our kids to expensive private schools?'

Me, not quite understanding the gist of his question, I decide to play his strange game, I ask 'Why?'

'Because of people like you, who have principles'.

The penny dropped and I accepted the offer.

Get over it. If you don't like the rules, then don't play.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, we all agree it is not fair. But then life itself is not always fair.

Personally, if this and 90 day reporting are the only 'problems' I have in my life, then I consider myself to be doing OK.

Get over it, stop looking for excuses to be outraged, like so many who engage with social media these days, and start enjoying youself.

• Like 2

all long term expat should not be driving an out country made cars and paying the government crazy VAT =you get nothing for it people, drive locally made cheaper crazy buy anything not made here=STUPID i have a porsche , back home not paying there crazy prices here could buy 5 back home the thais that have money you think they pay the VAT, no have son in college oversea can return personal car VAT free

I don't bother stressing about douple pricing, I used to when younger.

Now I'm just grateful that I'm eligible for it!!

Why bitch about such a matter wich really is a small price to pay. Most of DP's earn in weeks what majority of locals in a year.

How many times have you benefitted of being person of "colour" ? Cutting lines in banks etc...

Stop stressing about nothing! Life is too short.

• Like 2

RACISM! and if it happened to Thais anywhere in the "First-World" there would be screams about it lodged with the United Nations.

The CNX Zoo tried it on about 7 years ago when wife and I took our daughter there. They wanted me to pay extra (the Farang Price) my wife insisted that I should be allowed in at the regular price, I even produced my Thai MDL and they still dithered about it until my wife asked for the name of the Cashier so that we could take the matter up with the Authorities.

Funny thing happened.....the Cashier suddenly had a change of heart and we all got in at the regular price.

Amazes me that the Government spends so much to attract Visitors to LOS and then unashamedly tries to rip them off.

How often it is said already: "farangs are TOLERATED, not ACCEPTED for only one and one reason only: you bring in a LOT of money into Thailand.

Own a house impossible, you have to accepted to be ripped off by the land owner, even when that is your (ex) family you supported so long, police will extord at will, for every government paper too as without, you will not get it, and even in any park, you are the ATM also.

Even when you contributed for 50 years 80,000 THB a year, you thing there will be ONE THAI to support you for your last days ALIVE in that country ?

Forget it, they will let you pop off / croak in a small soi.

Edited by puipuitom
  • Like 1

Circa 1996. Literally, standing on the steps of the court with my Barrister. My 'opponent' and his barrister are deep in conversation in the foyer. Both Barristers are going backwards and forwards. My barrister keeps returning with 'offers' of settlement. I am standing firm. I am on the side of right, and I am pushing a principle. I consider myself to be a person of 'high principles'.

My Barrister agrees with my priciples too. But he feels the latest offer to be 'fair and reasonable'. He tells me that if we proceed to court that there is a remote possibility I may not win, and should I wish to proceed to the supreme court it is going to cost me a motza.

Again I push the 'principle' of the thing.

He is a very tall man and he looks down at me and says.

'Mr. ********* Do you know why us Barristers send our kids to expensive private schools?'

Me, not quite understanding the gist of his question, I decide to play his strange game, I ask 'Why?'

'Because of people like you, who have principles'.

The penny dropped and I accepted the offer.

Get over it. If you don't like the rules, then don't play.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, we all agree it is not fair. But then life itself is not always fair.

Personally, if this and 90 day reporting are the only 'problems' I have in my life, then I consider myself to be doing OK.

Get over it, stop looking for excuses to be outraged, like so many who engage with social media these days, and start enjoying youself.

Agree!

For me, the most unfair thing I have encountered in Thailand (mostly here on TV) are all the

moaning, groaning, and whining farangs with their panties in a tight knot constantly telling

us how horrible Thailand is because everything is not the same as their own country.

It's unfair to me that I am subjected to these constant ludicrous, venomous rants.

It may be informative for the rest of us to inquire of these moaners, "If your own country is

so wonderful and so chocked full of "high principles, what kind of reasoning process did

you employ in deciding to come visit or settled down here in such a horrid place?

Edited by BradinAsia
  • Like 1

My chauffer climbed out of the Rolls to pay our entry fee. When those dastardly people asked him for 50% extra for the farang, he refused, climbed back in and drove us back home. At least it was a comfortable journey with no stress.

You don't CLIMB in and out of a Rolls. You must have been confused with your old Tata truck . biggrin.png

I'll have you know my chauffer is a midget so he had to climb out of the Roller, go to the boot, get the orange box out, carry the box to the entrance window, climb onto it to speak to the cashier, clamber down off the orange box, lug it back to the car, put it in the boot and clamber back into the Rolls. He was not best pleased, I could tell.

BTW I am an equal opportunities employer and I employ midgets and giants, I do not discriminate tongue.png

Orange box or box of oranges?

What?? Oranges in the box? How frightfully expensive that would be.

what kind of reasoning process did

you employ in deciding to come visit or settled down here in such a horrid place?

I already transferred most of my business to Southern China ( soya +oyster sauce, instant noodles, canned baby corn, bamboo shoots, mango slice, lychees, longan, mango ) and Vietnam ( rice + rice vermicelli, rambutan, coconut, chili sauces ) .