Best place to live in Phuket

Rigo29

The further north and east you get, the better local and expat people you'll find. People still look at the eyes and kids say their hello's with wais. But then again, I live very much at the North-East of the island so I guess this is very subjective.

If you have lived in Patong, but wish a bit cheaper environment, then maybe Kamala would be a good location for you to check.

I live in PAtong, not particularly but choice but more out of need, in our little enclave all of our neighbours (Thai & farang) smile & talk to each other and the kids still wai! Ok the kids that are old enough to wai that is.

We even have collective street cleaning, so decent areas can be found!

The further north and east you get, the better local and expat people you'll find. People still look at the eyes and kids say their hello's with wais. But then again, I live very much at the North-East of the island so I guess this is very subjective.

If you have lived in Patong, but wish a bit cheaper environment, then maybe Kamala would be a good location for you to check.

I live in PAtong, not particularly but choice but more out of need, in our little enclave all of our neighbours (Thai & farang) smile & talk to each other and the kids still wai! Ok the kids that are old enough to wai that is.

I have a similar experinece in Patong.

Not a lot of kids are old enough to "wai" where I am, but if you wai to them, they wai back, without fully understanding te significance of it.

The adults, well, they think, that as a foreigner, you do not know the importance, or respect, attached to a wai, so, not much wai from the adult Thai's, but you get a smile and a "hello."

I ask the locals about how their business is going, and make some general conversation. Sometimes I ask "mama" if I can have a beer with husband - answer is always "yes." I buy.

Patong is not as bad as many will have you believe on this forum, and as I have mentioned recently, take a look at the violent crime on the island in recent times. Most of it hasn't happened in Patong.

Not a lot of kids are old enough to "wai" where I am, but if you wai to them, they wai back, without fully understanding te significance of it.

The adults, well, they think, that as a foreigner, you do not know the importance, or respect, attached to a wai, so, not much wai from the adult Thai's, but you get a smile and a "hello."

I ask the locals about how their business is going, and make some general conversation. Sometimes I ask "mama" if I can have a beer with husband - answer is always "yes." I buy.

Patong is not as bad as many will have you believe on this forum, and as I have mentioned recently, take a look at the violent crime on the island in recent times. Most of it hasn't happened in Patong.

I think we do have the exception, not the rule - but I aint sayin where i am.......:)

Same for me as well. No interest whatsoever of moving to another area on the island. Where I live, it is quiet, the neighbours (Thai and farang) are friendly and the best of shopping and entertainment are all close by. Once that third road is finished, the traffic problems will decrease significantly. Unfortunately, many people seem to think that Bangla is Patong (just as some tourists seem to think that Patong is Phuket). Sure, the prices vary greatly (as with any tourism centre), but fair prices can be found for those who know the ropes. So for all of those who insist that Patong is a 'cesspit', you are cordially invited to remain in your own little patch of paradise.

• Like 2

Same for me as well. No interest whatsoever of moving to another area on the island. Where I live, it is quiet, the neighbours (Thai and farang) are friendly and the best of shopping and entertainment are all close by. Once that third road is finished, the traffic problems will decrease significantly. Unfortunately, many people seem to think that Bangla is Patong (just as some tourists seem to think that Patong is Phuket). Sure, the prices vary greatly (as with any tourism centre), but fair prices can be found for those who know the ropes. So for all of those who insist that Patong is a 'cesspit', you are cordially invited to remain in your own little patch of paradise.

CAnt wait for those roadworks to be finished!

I agree Ping. However, I will add, that Bangla Road is Phuket's biggest tourist attraction, despite it's "rip off" factor and failing infastructure.

Those tourists that do return to Phuket for their holiday, and who enjoy the nightlife, once bitten by the transport mafia here, tend to stay walking distance to Bangla Road - that means, Patong.

They learn pretty quick when they discover they are paying more for a tuk-tuks to Bangla Road, and return, than they are for their accommodation and "new friend" for the night. :)

Also, those living elsewhere on the island who criticize Patong - just have a look at where the majority of violent crime is happening these days, it's not Patong. I would also suggest that many of the tourists deaths are occurring outside of Patong.

Phuket has many problems, we are all aware of them, and they have been well debated and documented.

Many of Phuket's problems are island wide, not just in Patong, and in fact, in some cases, Patong has less problems. Eg blackouts.

SoBad: The more information you provide of yourself and your wishes, the better answers you'll receive.

Turn your question around: If I would provide you the information what you gave to here, which area would you recommend to me Bangkok? It could be almost everywhere.

What it's worth. Try renting a place for a month at Rawai (south Phuket) or Chern Talay (mid Phuket) and venture from these locations around the island to look for the perfect place for you.

GOM: My list was not meant to be taken too seriously. Just a crooked humor of the jungle person, who have no sane friends. The list was supposed to be equally rude for all of us.

GOM: My list was not meant to be taken too seriously. Just a crooked humor of the jungle person, who have no sane friends. The list was supposed to be equally rude for all of us.

cheesy.gif understood Oilinki, also liked your post where the Finlanders on the island live.

Lots of condos/apartments in the Bangtao area OP.