Uncontested Divorce - Easiest district office (Amphur) to get one

stever

I'd appreciate suggestions on where in the Bangkok area to get an uncontested divorce. Which district office has the minimum required documents? Near a BTS or MRT connection would be a bonus. I'm staying near Asoke. She is with her family in Klong Toey

So far

Multiple TV posts say that the documents required for an uncontested divorce are: two copies of the marriage certificate, my passport and her ID card. Some said that the process took less than 30 minutes. We're finding it more difficult.

We first went to the Patumwan district office. The unsmiling older woman official there wanted:

Original marriage certificate

My passport

A copy of my passport certified by my embassy.

A Thai translation of the above embassy certified copy of my passport

The above translation must be certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Original birth certificate of our 21 year old son

Wife's ID card

Wife's household registration

I tuned out when she started talking about cashier's checks, but she went on for a few more minutes with more requirements.

I said that we had been married at the Patumwan office and asked if they had the original. She said that they no longer had the original as we had been married more than 20 years ago. We would have to file a police report of the loss of the original marriage certificate and get a replacement certificate issued.

I politely asked to speak to her boss. He was upcountry. I asked to speak to another superior then. He was in a meeting. I stood firm and we were reluctantly directed upstairs to a senior official. He was more accommodating, but it was obvious that we would get no satisfaction. We thanked everyone and left.

We went across the street to the Patumwan police station to file loss reports for the missing original MC & BC. The pleasant older policewoman accomplished this in three minutes. She tried not to laugh as we talked about the officials across the street.

We decided to try the Bang Rak district office. The officials there were friendlier. They would accept a copy of the marriage certificate along with the police report. The household registration was acceptable instead of my son's BC. But, they still wanted an embassy certified copy of my passport with a Thai translation certified by the MFA.

I politely said that I'd heard that others had obtained a divorce just showing their passport. The official shrugged and said that different districts had different requirements. An older official, sitting in the back of the office, who seemed more senior confirmed the certified passport requirement.

That was enough for one day. The plan for Monday is to try to find another district office that doesn't need a certified copy of the passport. Worst case scenario is that I'll go to the embassy and MFA and back to Bang Rak. How long does it take to get a translation done and certified at the MFA?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It sounds like the certified copy of your passport is a new requirement. I was witness for friends divorcing at Bang Rak in 2009 and this was the procedure.

I'd suggest you get to your embassy early for them to certify a copy of your passport. For ease I'd suggest visiting a nearby translation office and asking them how much it would cost for them to translate the embassy paper and then have it certified by MFA. I'm not sure if MFA still do priority processing so it could take another day for the MFA stamp.

My experience when I accompanied 2 friends divorcing uncontested at an Umphur a month ago. (2009)

Original documents required.

1.Foreign Passport
2. Thai ID card
3. House registration card
4.Both wedding certificates.

Photocopies required. 2 copies of each.

1.Foreign Passport data page
2.Foreign Passport page with latest entry visa.
3.Thai ID card (ensure this is an updated ID card with any name changes shown)
4.House card.

Two Witnesses are required (Umphur will unofficially arrange for a small payment)

On arrival the Umphur receptionist checked the documents and a form was completed, photocopies attached to form. A queue number was given.

Proceed to processing area and hand over documents. An official will call both parties and ask the reason for divorce and if any financial agreements are required. Once satisfied both parties understand they are being divorced the official will type up the divorce paperwork.

Wait to be called to the desk. The officer will talk the parties through the official paperwork. The officer, both parties and witnesses will sign the typed paperwork.

Then proceed to the senior officer who will closely inspect all paperwork ensuring all paperwork is in order before he and both parties sign the divorce certificates.

He then requested one of he parties took the written document to make 4 copies.

On return the senior official stamped the 4 photocopies and handed over 2 divorce certificates, 4 photocopies of the divorce paperwork plus passport, ID and house card.

No payment was required.

The process should take less than an hour If the Umphur is not busy.
  • Like 1

Translation and MFA stamp for a document takes about three or four hours, depending on when you arrive.

Given that you'll have to go to the embassy first, it might be better to split it into two days. I don't know about you, but taking a ticket and sitting down to wait is something I can only do once in a day!

Some of the translation companies near Ploen Chit (round the corner from the British embassy) will do the MFA trip for you once you've got the stamped embassy document. ฿300 (per page) for the translation, not sure how much they charge for the running about service, but the MFA will charge you ฿800 for a same day service.

You were lucky with the police report. I had been told about it before so I just discovered the document was lost somewhere in CR as I was sure I had it before. The policeman laughed and said that was good as if I had lost it in Australia or another ampher I would have had to get the police report there.

To go the court route here you need grounds such as adultery or desertion for more than two years.

Remember as a bargaining point you can sue a person who sleeps with your wife for adultery. If she has a new friend it may sway the balance for her to realize it may be better to go to the amper.