WP renewal and every year an X-ray -- no cancerous worries?

Call me paranoid, but Immigration forcing me to take an X-ray every year is not only an overkill, it's statistically proven to increase the risk of cancer.

Well, they're always changing the rules, mostly not for the better, maybe next year when renewing WP the X-ray is gone again, but still. If once every five years I have no problem with it. Every year? Dorks.

If anyone knows a doctor / clinic that gives that health form without actually having to have an X-ray, please PM me.

Immigration has nothing to do with work permits or medical tests for such. Have not seen report of having to obtain an x-ray as part of work permit medical - are you sure that is not for company medical insurance by chance? Where was this required and by whom? Thanks. The only change in medicals that I have seen reported is need for blood test on some.

Sorry, not immigration, labor department. Sorry for the confusion.

When I go to One-Stop-Visa-Center down at Chamchuri, last time (April '13) for the first time the usual health check wasn't good enough anymore. Not only did they require a "real" blood test. For the one-year renewal of WP they wanted an X-ray.

Edited by cyberholz

Sorry, not immigration, labor department. Sorry for the confusion.

When I go to One-Stop-Visa-Center down at Chamchuri, last time (April '13) for the first time the usual health check wasn't good enough anymore. Not only did they require a "real" blood test. For the one-year renewal of WP they wanted an X-ray.

"Real" blood tests are better than "false" tests and a yearly x-ray poses little or no risk.

An annual x-ray is not that big deal as far as heath concerns go.

Well, in my opinion it's at least eight too many in 10 years. I reckon it has mainly to do with migrant workers from neighboring countries, they're checking tuberculosis.

Nothing against a healthy expat workforce.

An X-ray is an X-ray and always leaves a trace.

Well, in my opinion it's at least eight too many in 10 years. I reckon it has mainly to do with migrant workers from neighboring countries, they're checking tuberculosis.

Expats are not "immune" from tuberculosis !smile.png

What "trace" does an x-ray leave ?

Is this information from some "new" physics which I have failed to learn !coffee1.gif

Edited by thaiexpat21

Never have been requested for x-ray by labor in Chiang Mai. The blood test requirements came into force 2-3 years ago though for Syphilis.

That's why I'm asking whether there is a way around this not really necessary X-ray.

A friend north of Bangkok was as well never asked for an X-ray. With the Syphilis blood check I have no problem at all.

Isn't it funny that the labor department has varying requirements, and exactly in the One-Stop-Visa-Center where many of the higher paid expats report to, exactly there they're looking for tuberculosis.

It's one of those Thai decisions that make no too much sense, and answers in here like an X-ray a year poses no harm is kind of defeatist considering the fact that it depends on the place you live whether you have to provide X-ray or not.

As if there wouldn't be enough double standards around here already.

Edited by cyberholz

This information from some "new" physics which I have failed to learn !coffee1.gif

Just do a simple Google search, will ya please?

This information from some "new" physics which I have failed to learn !coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

Just do a simple Google search, will ya please?

I would much rather you share your knowledge here then we all would benefit.

A simple Google search will also show that you receive far more radiation just being on earth compared with a chest X-Ray.

Depending what data you believe then a Bangkok to London flight will give about the same radiation as a chest X ray. (Full body CT scan will give a lot more of course)

That said if you are concerned get a digital scan or at least a modern machine unit as the doses are lower.

• Like 1

A simple Google search will also show that you receive far more radiation just being on earth compared with a chest X-Ray.

Depending what data you believe then a Bangkok to London flight will give about the same radiation as a chest X ray. (Full body CT scan will give a lot more of course)

That said if you are concerned get a digital scan or at least a modern machine unit as the doses are lower.

The dreaded "radiation" becomes even worse in the air than on the ground !

Should flying be banned ?

We never ask questions about radiation when boarding a plane. That's just a necessity and how it is.

Also, one could say a walk along the evacuation zone of Fukushima doesn't pose real health risks at all. Radiation is all within legal limits.

My point is: let's avoid what's avoidable.

As a few answers here show clearly that X-rays upon WP renewal are no country-wide policy.

Why do some of us have to? Why some not?

It makes no sense, therefore for the sake of less income for nearby health clinics and our common good (even if the benefits are negligible), what's the point of having to do something that not really required.

I renewed my work permit at Chamchuree last month and was not asked for an x-ray, nor a medical either.

Interesting, thanks Bangkokhatter.

Did you know about this before heading to Chamchuri?

Iam due to renew mine next month and I asked the HR lady who handles the paperwork if a medical and or X-ray were required and she replied as per my previous renewals no they are not required.

It is only necessary if your employer requests it,as posted usually if your employer is going to insure you, they you need the blood, hiv, syphillitis, elephantitis and chest exrays done, otherwise any street clinic will give you a medical certificate for 50 -60 Baht.

I have had 4 or 5 W.P's and only one employer giving me insurance both health and life requested the full litany of tests and the insurance co. agent was present for the H.I.V. mouth swab at the hospital.

It is only necessary if your employer requests it,as posted usually if your employer is going to insure you, they you need the blood, hiv, syphillitis, elephantitis and chest exrays done, otherwise any street clinic will give you a medical certificate for 50 -60 Baht.

I have had 4 or 5 W.P's and only one employer giving me insurance both health and life requested the full litany of tests and the insurance co. agent was present for the H.I.V. mouth swab at the hospital.

My Employer provides health insurance and some work colleagues are asked to provide the medical and some (myself included) are not.

My Employer does not provide life insurance.

It's typically the doctors that request it as a way of checking for tuberculosis (or evidence of previous infection). Just tell them no, that's what I do and it's worked for eight years. They know it's not required and that they have no right to ask for it. For best results, go for your physical around 16:30-17:00 when they're exhausted and about to get off work - or just use a government hospital where they usually don't care.

It's typically the doctors that request it as a way of checking for tuberculosis (or evidence of previous infection). Just tell them no, that's what I do and it's worked for eight years. They know it's not required and that they have no right to ask for it. For best results, go for your physical around 16:30-17:00 when they're exhausted and about to get off work - or just use a government hospital where they usually don't care.

Thanks Emily, that is indeed quite helpful.

Still, I'm confused.

Some in here say no medical at all recently, no X-ray for some... It is as it has always been, every year a surprise (if you do the process all by yourself).

Can't wait for next round, seriously...

I got my work permit renewed about a month ago in Bangkok - no blood test required and certainly not an X-ray. I think the OP has just got himself confused about what he is required to provide.

As far as X-rays being harmless, every time you have an X-ray it increases your chances of getting cancer. This is not much of an issue if it's a once a decade thing but if its every year it has a cumulative effect. There's no medical basis at all for X-raying healthy people to check they haven't got TB.

Edited by edwardandtubs

I got my work permit renewed about a month ago in Bangkok - no blood test required and certainly not an X-ray. I think the OP has just got himself confused about what he is required to provide.

As far as X-rays being harmless, every time you have an X-ray it increases your chances of getting cancer. This is not much of an issue if it's a once a decade thing but if its every year it has a cumulative effect. There's no medical basis at all for X-raying healthy people to check they haven't got TB.

I am not confused at all.

I am doing WP renewals since 1996 and certainly know how the process works. In April I brought along my usual health certificate, the lady at the counter said it's not good enough, I need the Syphilis blood test AND an X-ray. She wouldn't let me proceed without.

But thank you for at least supporting my stance that the X-raying has no medical basis at all.