Evolution Mail

raro

I tried Thunderbird before, but Evolution seems to be the better option.

However, when sending mails, it says "service not connected".

I deleted the account, set it up again and now it says "I/O operation timed out".

What makes me wonder is that I have not been asked for a password during the set up process and cannot find any field to fill password in either.

Receiving mails was no problem prior to deleting and setting up the account for a second time.

The problem you face can have multiple sources, the first and probably the most common is that you need to authorized to access the SMTP (smtp is the server for outgoing email). Without knowing which email account provider you're trying setup Evolution it's a bit hard to give good advice.

For instance if you use Gmail, your outgoing smtp.gmail.com requires authentication and specified to use port 465 and SSL. More including picture on how to you can find here http://tuxicity.wordpress.com/2007/03/08/howto-set-up-gmail-in-evolution-gnomes-mail-client-and-organizer/

I use my corporate mail and all those settings (server name, login name, authorization etc) are by now quadruple checked.

What still puzzles me is that there is no box anywhere to be seen to put in the password.

The password is only needed when the POP3 or IMAP server requests an password. So if you check email and did not get a password pop-up window you have done something wrong.

It's best to lookup the settings for your email settings for your companies email server especially the different ports that have to be used. For instance outgoing mail can send to port 25 or 587, but I have seen some companies use even other ports. Also you have email like Microsoft Exchange and Lotus/IBM Notes which need a complete different approach.

well..I know that there is a PW required as I have set it up myself. Ports are also correct.

I'm quite confused why there is no PW box anywhere in Evolution. Did some more research and something with "Keyring" came up. tried to find this on my computer but couldn't get it.

well..I know that there is a PW required as I have set it up myself. Ports are also correct.

I'm quite confused why there is no PW box anywhere in Evolution. Did some more research and something with "Keyring" came up. tried to find this on my computer but couldn't get it.

Again, the first time you check email you will get a pop-up window that will ask you for the password. In this pop-up email you can also select remember password...

I fooled around with Evolution for a little while and found it unintuitive. I went back to Thunderbird. Thunderbird has so many addons that I don't see how Evolution can do much that Thunderbird can't, one way or the other. No problems.

• Like 1

You can view all your required port information from Cpanel > Email accounts, then locate one of the lines for your mail accounts and click the "more" link to the far right, then pick "configure email client". Then you get a page with all the settings specific for your mail account.

You can view all your required port information from Cpanel > Email accounts, then locate one of the lines for your mail accounts and click the "more" link to the far right, then pick "configure email client". Then you get a page with all the settings specific for your mail account.

yes, I know that part. The settings are all correct. Just this "cannot connect" error that I cannot get out of the way...

This is really bizarre. I set up another mail account that was never installed on this computer. Evolution goes through the entire account setup wizard but nowhere in there I get asked for a password. Needless to say, I cannot connect.

gave up on evolution. Too bad, I find TB much more complicated.

TB annoyance: signature only in the first mail, but no signature in replies. In Outlook you can even configure different signatures for first mail and replies.

You only need to enter the password when the server you connecting to asks for a password... You not able to connect has absolute nothing to do with the password...

If you want people to help with setting up your email account with Evolution you should share more information. What is the POP3/SMTP server address, what is the port you use to retrieve and send email. What protocol does your server want to speak? And what Internet provider do you use? Did you played with settings of the build in firewall?

You said before that you have a legal version of MS Office 2007, MS Office 2007 (including MS Outlook 2007) works very well with Wine 1.7. So maybe you should just use that... many many how-to's on the Internet on how-to install MS Office 2007 with Wine...

Another thing that people often forget is if they use a webbased email account, like Gmail for instance, they have to set-up / activate the mail server to accept requests by POP3 or IMAP. Without activating the mail server of Google to accept POP or IMAP requests, email programs like Evolution will simply not work...

TB annoyance: signature only in the first mail, but no signature in replies. In Outlook you can even configure different signatures for first mail and replies.

TB allows you to put the sig in replies and forwards, too. You just have to check the option in the account settings, Composition and Addressing.

For choosing different sigs, TB has extensions. Here's one: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/signature-switch/?src=search

wheww...just tried to get my head around it.

So first you have to install a plugin - done

next you need to create individual files, each signature a different file. What kind of files? .txt? Cannot find anything about this.

And last not least you need to put the link to those files into the plug-in dialogue.

A little cumbersome compared to how easy Outlook handled this...

I retract my judgement on Evolution. It is not as good as I thought in the first place and I do not really feel at home with TB either. It is all so...90's They do the job for most things, but everything seems to be an effort to get done. Let me not get started on eyecandy or the total lack of it.

example: Rules. In Outlook a very intuitive dialogue and mails get sorted into subfolders. Tried this in both TB and evolution and after an hour I gave up.

You said that you have a legal license of MS Office 2007, if so you only need to buy Codeweavers Crossover which costs 39,95 USD.

With the latest Crossover Linux installed you can very easily, with a few mouse clicks install MS Office 2007 (including MS Outlook 2007).

You can also use the latest version of Wine to install MS Office 2007, but that takes more knowledge of Linux and involves more than just a few mouse clicks.

I personally would not compare Thunderbird with MS Outlook, Thunderbird is more something like Windows Live Mail. And SeaMonkey is more a complete software package like MS Outlook.

With Linux you can do always two things, pay and do it easy (and get direct support) or not pay and take some time to learn how to do it (plus get support from the Linux user communities on the internet).

With MS Windows you always pay... or break the law.... by installing illegal software

For Linux there are also a few commercial email clients available, but they're a bit high on cost, but than they have to seriously offer more than what the free alternative offers.

A good "simple" alternative email client, and still free is the integrated email client in the Opera browser. You can easily install the Opera browser in Ubuntu (32 or 64-bits) when you visit the Opera website (http://www.opera.com) click Free Download and open the file with your package installer (it will likely prompt/ask you to save or open with... select open with your package installer (likely the default selection)

well...here's the story again why I gave M$ the finger. I OWN a license for Office 2007. I downloaded the install files but the download was corrupt for some reason. Mind you, I had to jump through a number of hoops to get to the point that I can download it (basically circumnavigating all sorts of power selling Office 2013).

Then I tried to download it again and M$ told me that I did this already (logged in with my msn account and identified with the S//N) and I cannot do it again. Instead, they have this shiny new Office 2013 I would be certainly interested in.

Basically I was denied a product I paid for.

At the same time Phil Connors (my IT guru, web hoster, late night trouble shooter and beer buddy) told me that Ubuntu is now suitable for computer idiots like me (he worded it a bit nicer...) and so I gave it a try. I liked it indeed, that there is a learning curve was clear from the outset and I am here now to iron out the bumps...

Will try Seamonkey next and report back.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Fast forward... Now on Fedora 19, abandoned evolution and embraced thunderbird. It actually works much better in Fedora than in Ubuntu. With one problem :

I have a bunch of email addresses under a.com and b.com. Both of which are hosted on the same server and a.com is actually a shared domain of b.com. Phil can explain this more technical than myself.

Whereas I had no problems setting up [email protected], it didn't work with [email protected]. Same server, same settings. Checked them again and again.

Anyone out there who could explain this phenomenon?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Sorted. It had to do with IPv6 settings. Apparently my router has problems with it and I had to completely disable IPv6. Now all runs smoothly.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app