MBA at Stamford University in Bangkok?

Andrew83

Hi all,

I'm looking at doing an MBA part-time whist working here in Bangkok.

So far I've checked out all the well known universities (Chula, Thamasat, Mahidol etc) but they aren't very flexible with the class scheduling and minimum attendance level. This is a problem for me as I travel a lot for work and often work late.

Stamford on the other hand, offer a full day Saturday class and provided a certain amount of at home learning is done an internationally accredited MBA can be obtained in 1.5 years.

Sounds good so far but a quick google showed Stamford is ranked 7186 in world university rankings (Chula is 367). I don't know how old the ranking is or how the ranking system works but I'm a little concerned about the quality of the program. I'm not expecting Harvard quality but don't want to sign up for a complete farce either.

Has anyone had any direct experience with the international MBA program at Stamford? Or Stamford in general? Or any recommendations for MBA programs?

Thanks in advance

I'd be pretty concerned with any school which has changed one letter in its name but is really trying to mooch off the reputation of the more prestigious school across the Pacific.

I mean, would you go to a school called Harward?

Yes -- they say on their website the University was named after Sir Stamford Raffles but if they called it Raffles University then they might have been confused with a school with the same name somewhere in India.

Even First class honours from top universities are being criticised, too many, says the Daily Telegraph.

I started an eventual 20 year long series of courses,when at the first stage,(HNC), a workmate said, "Nearly everyone will have one soon". A wiser mate said "What aboot them who dinna hae em ?"

Whatever you study at whatever level you will find naysayers, but you will be wiser.

I listen to many series of lectures from "The Teaching Company" (all high flying profs from best US unis), everything under the sun.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of Thai friends of mine took an Master's Program from Webster. Both have superlative English skills and are quite bright. One was not able to handle the work and eventually quit. The other had to stop for a time, but eventually went back and finished it.

Of course, neither of them could compare the program to other programs or universities, but they certainly had to do the work -- I helped my friend with a part of his Masters Degree thesis and his professor knew his stuff.

I have helped quite a number of people who were getting Master's Degrees here in Thailand from a number of Universities. A few of the universities had degrees which seemed very simple for a Master's. I was impressed with the Webster's.

Oh, there was a fair amount of personal contact and help given as well, but that's not something I could compare to other universities.

• Like 1

Thanks for the helpful responses.

I checked out Webster on Saturday and although a little expensive (590,000THB total), they offer a modular program that is well suited to my schedule.

I was impressed with their program and the fact that they're internationally accredited so I will most likely sign up.

The only downside is that is going to take almost 3 years.

If anyone else has any comments or experiences with Webster University i'd like to hear them.

Cheers

Edited by Andrew83