Are Thai people racist? They keeping calling me "Farang"!

Stradavarius37

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the way the OP presented and described himself, dirty, stained , messy clothes , cut off pants, crocks and socks and man boobs too,

while drinking beer alone sitting on the street.

None of this would would warrant any respect in any country, no matter what his race.

His knowledge of the Thai language only shows that he thinks he knows what he does not.

These things make farang a dirty word!

Maybe the Op deserved the way he was treated?

Was he treated badly? He obviously doesn't understand what was said about him, except the word "farang"!

Maybe they were saying

" Look at the hansom Farang! I wish we had ratty clothes, man boobs and the nerve to drink alone on the street like him!"

A compliment?

No farang! can't do, can't do!

Brilliant reply!

As one farang to another...Thank you so F##king much!

• Like 2

Once I was sitting on a songtaew and there were two old ladies sitting opposite me with a large basket of guava. One of the rude old crones kept saying " farang" this and "farang" while sorting through the basket. All of this was within easy earshot of myself and to compound their blatant rudeness they completely ignored me whilst saying "farang" as if I didn't even exist.

Maybe they had some 'farang' fruit in the basket? It looks like an apple.

Farang, alien, gringo, bule, auslander, gweilo, ang mo, gaijin, laowai, .....same, same . Context is everything

auslaender is different....It just means foreigner (someone from outside this land).

If your a TV Member then you should be used to the word Falang by now. Everyone on TV uses it all the time. Just like they use the words "Thai Girlfriend".

So saying "Thai Girlfriend" or "Thai Wife" is that racist too?

To me I dont think it is racist. My wife and all her family calls me by name but they know me. However when going in a store and the shop keeper is speaking to someone else in the store and they say Falang this or that it's identifying that they might need help because they dont have the typical Thai customer that speaks Thai or in a restaurant to easily identify a customer. I would say it's all in the context that it is being used. So you need to look at the big picture.

Also if you are going to speak Thai you might want to get what you want to say correct. If you are wanting to say you aren't a falang. The what is it you want hthem to call you since they dont know your name. Maybe call you the white guy? So tell me what should they call you?

Edited by ericthai
  • Like 1

Farang , simply means foriegner, that is no racist term in itself, but the manner and tone in which it is used can be offensive, in my opinion. To use and old phrase, its not what you say its the way you say it.

"Farang , simply means foriegner"...........No it does not and nor is it used in that manner in every day usage. Really wish Expats would stop letting these Thais off the hook so easily by saying "it means foreigner" . If it only meant foreigner then why do they not call people from Loas, Cambodia, China, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan (need i go on) foreigners ?!! They dont call them foreigners, in fact I think you have to go quite far geographically before they start using the generic term farang instead of individual terms...

When I told Thai people I'm from Singapore, they don't call me farang. Perhaps farang only refers to foreigners from western countries?

No, it's a racial thing, there are plenty of people born in western counties of various races. Farang is a term they use to describe Caucasians.

Yes. Black Americans for example are not called Farang, but Dum (kon dum/kon see dum) directly from their colour. British Indians are called Khek. Its racial not country specific. It more closely relates the old term "oriental" as used above.

It is uninteresting that there is no specific term for Black people other than the colour itself. Although this may be due to little historic interaction with Africa, one perhaps should note that many British sailors were black. Not slaves, paid (at full rate apparently) sailors. There are even black sailors depicted in the scenes at Nelson's Column (Trafalgar Square) carrying Nelson's broken body along with white sailors. It therefore stands to reason that they would have met at least as many Black Britons as white ones in imperial days; though perhaps not as captains (very few officers in those days came from the ranks - most were from well known families or sponsored by them and went to the correct schools - so a class thing as opposed to a colour thing, though one fitted snuggly inside the other back then of course).

From the way the OP presented and described himself, dirty, stained , messy clothes , cut off pants, crocks and socks and man boobs too,

None of this would would warrant any respect in any country, no matter what his race.

His knowledge of the Thai language only shows that he thinks he knows what he does not.

Was he treated badly? He obviously doesn't understand what was said about him, except the word "farang"!

Maybe they were saying

" Look at the hansom Farang! I wish we had ratty clothes, man boobs and the nerve to drink alone on the street like him!"

A compliment?

Brilliant reply!

Is this post an example of faux anger or a manifestation of the whoosh syndrome?

• Like 2

Once I was sitting on a songtaew and there were two old ladies sitting opposite me with a large basket of guava. One of the rude old crones kept saying " farang" this and "farang" while sorting through the basket. All of this was within easy earshot of myself and to compound their blatant rudeness they completely ignored me whilst saying "farang" as if I didn't even exist.

Erm you mean like a guava - I think you missed the point of his joke :D

• Like 1

Maybe they were saying

A compliment?

Brilliant reply!

Erm you do realise it was a parody right?

• Like 1

Farang , simply means foriegner, that is no racist term in itself, but the manner and tone in which it is used can be offensive, in my opinion. To use and old phrase, its not what you say its the way you say it.

Better then the aribic word for foriegner "infiedel" which translates to inferier.

Reel em in biggrin.png

Sorry bender mate my original post was a piss take of how some westerners hear the word " farang" and start going off in a right old tizzy.

if OP had half a brain he would be dangerous

Not as dangerous as you. The OP is a not very original piss take. You only had to read as far as the "Mexican gardener" bit to see that.

A few days back he posted one about double pricing at some croc/elephant park that had everyone biting.

No doubt his next one will be "how much do you give your girl every month".

He may be an out of work "notthenation" reporter, or just bored.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Farang means outsider. If a Thai from Chiang Mai visits a town in the south, like Nakhon Si Thammarat, if they cannot speak South dialect, they may be called farang. I have had this explained to me, and I have seen this happen on more than one ocassion.

Better then the aribic word for foriegner "infiedel" which translates to inferier.

Actually, it relates to anyone that is not part of the Muslim faith (when being used by arabic speakers who are Muslim)

totster :)

My hatred of the word is more to do with the bigger picture which is that of the general laziness to seek out new information, to learn, to be scpetical and ambitious. The modern usage of the word farang, in my opinion is a sign of bad education, bad geographical knowledge and a sign of general laziness to actually identify people by means other than just what they look like. I dont get annoyed when called it because i see it as a bigger problem for them than me but it would be good for them to get rid of it.

You are clueless beyond words. And you're clearly wrong because it's obviously a bigger problem for you than them. "Farang" is just a descriptive word and used in exactly the same way that Americans use the words "Asian" and "Hispanic" to describe a great many nationalities. The Thais could care less what you think about how THEY use THEIR language. I tend to agree with them. Which means your opinion amounts to about zero.

I'm with rinteln on this one. I mean, I was just saying to my wife the other day " There was this drunk Romanian from Ramnicelu commune in the Buzu district got into a fight with a bloke from Moyamba in Sierra Leone in Sukhumvit Soi 10 yesterday. Right messy it was." biggrin.png

Edited by mca

The Thai kids were saying....." bah farang...wearing socks with crocs and drinking shit beer(Cheers)...bah,bah farang"!

Seriously...the word "farang" does NOT echo sentiments of racism if properly understood.

Edited by HaleySabai

My hatred of the word is more to do with the bigger picture which is that of the general laziness to seek out new information, to learn, to be scpetical and ambitious. The modern usage of the word farang, in my opinion is a sign of bad education, bad geographical knowledge and a sign of general laziness to actually identify people by means other than just what they look like. I dont get annoyed when called it because i see it as a bigger problem for them than me but it would be good for them to get rid of it.

You are clueless beyond words. And you're clearly wrong because it's obviously a bigger problem for you than them. "Farang" is just a descriptive word and used in exactly the same way that Americans use the words "Asian" and "Hispanic" to describe a great many nationalities. The Thais could care less what you think about how THEY use THEIR language. I tend to agree with them. Which means your opinion amounts to about zero.

The more your opinion is appreciated ! Thanks again for your sensible, not completely unexpected, response !

• Like 2

I am currently reading The Kill List, which is the latest work of fiction by detail orientated author Frederick Forsyth. In it some US soldiers fly into a mountain outpost in Afganistan where the local tribe refers to them as farangi - which, according to the author, means white foreigner.

Not sure that has much bearing on this current thread, but I did find it interesting.

Yes, and then the soldiers shot everybody!

• Like 1

This post is essentially a complaint that "I feel terrible because I do not fit in here, and they do not consider me one of their own". Well, if you really want to fit in, go back to your native land. We will never really fit in here, and rarely will we be considered one of their own, but who cares? I could give a rats ass if I fit in here. And I have no aspirations to be considered one of their own. I just live my live, enjoy every day here, and do my thing. If someone calls me a farang who cares? So, they are saying I am a foreigner. Thailand was subjected to a lack of colonialism (that was a joke) and many nationalist politicians who had a very small minded and selfish agenda, and some of the people still suffer from that small mindedness. So what. Who cares? Does it affect me? No. Does it need to affect you? Not really. Unless you want it to.

I'm with rinteln on this one. I mean, I was just saying to my wife the other day " There was this drunk Romanian from Ramnicelu commune in the Buzu district got into a fight with a bloke from Moyamba in Sierra Leone in Sukhumvit Soi 10 yesterday. Right messy it was." biggrin.png

Yes, having a hatred of the word farang and living in Thailand must be quite painful. Why inflict that pain on yourself on a daily basis? I think I must hear that word a dozen times a day. You may want to try hypnosis, meditation, self analysis, or any other technique that changes your attitude, and allows you to live well, be happy and content, and embrace these lovely hosts of ours. But, whatever you do, try not to continue down your present path of hatred. Not a productive way to live. There are many things to love, and to enjoy about living here. Make an attempt to find some of them, and then hold them close to your heart. You may find that your life becomes more fulfilling.

• Like 2

Farang means outsider. If a Thai from Chiang Mai visits a town in the south, like Nakhon Si Thammarat, if they cannot speak South dialect, they may be called farang. I have had this explained to me, and I have seen this happen on more than one ocassion.

Using the word "outsider" is partially correct, but never heard of a Thai calling another Thai a "farang"....maybe a "farang-f%#ker",especially in the South. Take the word guava for example....in Thai it is called 'farang'...why? because it is white inside and the farang were the ones who introduced the fruit into thailand way back when.