Cannot open bank account

LionMG

Can anyone recommend a bank/branch where I'd be able to open a bank account with only a triple entry tourist visa, and a document showing my apartment lease of 6 months? I tried SCB and Kasikorn at the Big C, and a few locations when I was in Bangkok. I don't really want to drive to every branch and be told the same thing... so if anyone has had success somewhere recently, please let me know. Or if anyone has any other suggestions... I can't believe how difficult it is to open a simple checking or savings account!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the moment there is a government crackdown. The USA and EU are putting pressure on Thailand re: money laundering. Are they asking for a work permit? Best thing is to keep trying. If you are American they may even ask you to sign a U.S. tax form - if they even allow you to open an account. Branches inside Big C would most likely be the the least farang friendly. Try the main branches. Also try making an initial deposit of 250,000 Baht or more. That may help as well.

Good luck.

A while back I was looking at opening an account here in CM. I approached SCB in KSK and they were more than happy to open an account in my name as was Kasikorn Bank. Mind you I went in with my gf and let her do all the talking.

I think they were more interested in my money than any of the legalities! Give them a try.... all I had to show was my rental agreement and they took a copy of my passport, which incidentally only had a double entry tourist visa in it at the time.

Good luckthumbsup.gif

The new rules came into effect start of this year. As late as Dec 2012, a friend managed to open bank accounts on his tourist visa. In Jan, I was refused at 3 different banks including Bangkok Bank. Luckily I have Thai friends who agreed to go with me and sign a form as guarantor. That worked and I opened accounts at 2 banks.

Note: my friends and I are not Americans. We are Malaysian, Singaporean, Hong Kong. So these new rules are not only aimed at US citizens due to FATCA.

• Like 1

Banks at shopping centers are not full service banks. There are numerous services you will not get at these.and a tourist opening an account is just one of them. All ways go to a normal bank branch in town.

The Bangkok Bank at Kad Suan Kaew is a full service bank.

are

Banks at shopping centers are not full service banks. There are numerous services you will not get at these.and a tourist opening an account is just one of them. All ways go to a normal bank branch in town.

The Bangkok Bank at Kad Suan Kaew is a full service bank.

Ill rephrase this statement Not at a Big C or a Tesco Mall. Yes the ones in KSK and Airport Plaza are full service. I opened my account on a 30 day visa exempt at a Bangkok Bank and used my hotel as the address.

Times are changing! The major problem --- felt worldwide --- is the international crackdown (basically US and EURO-driven) on money laundering and tax avoiders. Another problem is an older reticence of Thai banks (and government) to be accommodating to foreigners unless mega-money is involved.

The matter really isn't what branch of what bank you go to. Perhaps, now, it is what bank, and how sensitive is that bank is to international pressure and/or the possible profit-affecting effect they will put up with. I would be especially cautious about banks which do not have a large international investment presence.

There is also another factor one should consider: It is always easier to get money into Thailand than to take it out! But that's another problem!

Well, you could buy gold!! shock1.gif

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1

". I can't believe how difficult it is to open a simple checking or savings account!"

an ATM account is pretty easy , not sureif that is what you cal "Checking" , but I think getting a "Credit card" where you pay later would be a problem

Uh oh! Run, don't walk, to a trusted financial advisor. Best of luck!

Difficult to get a real credit card the first time, not a debit card, without proof of income. Workpermit and pay note / cheque required. But if you got one, you can get another and another and another. TiT.

Basically, all a credit card issued by a Thai Bank does for you is delay payment for a short period of time --- other than, as I understand it, being valid in other (or at least some other) countries. Otherwise, don't they require a fixed deposit account to secure the line of credit?

Also, BEWARE, a Thai bank will most likely not defend you if you happen to lose your credit card, or if it is misused after --- for example --- you leave it unsecured in an ATM.

A credit card of a foreigner is really a potential liability for any foreigner and happy profit for the bank who collects from the vendors each time a foreigner uses it!

I can recommend Bangkok Bank on Thapae Road, at least to get information, in good English. I bank there as did a recently deceased friend of mine, and have needed to go there many times with complicated issues. There is a middle aged female manager, usually in the small office on the right side as you enter who seems to be available to answer the more complicated matters. She is extremely friendly and extremely knowledgeable from my experiences there.

A word of advice: don't take a GF with you to open a bank account, buy a motorcycle/car, etc. I did that years ago and when I left the dealership the sales lady asked how long we had been married- we weren't!. The plates went to her home in the province. I got it all sorted out in the end- lesson learned. I opened accounts with Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank several years ago with no problem.

Ask yourself: "Do I really want to bank with someone that I can't communicate with?" Even if there is only one english speaker there, get his/her name and only do business with them.

As for US citizens opening accounts: get ready for a rough ride. The US is broke and in debt it will not answer for in our lifetimes. DC doesn't think it has a spending problem. It thinks it has a revenue problem. They are out to squeeze every baht from every US citizen wherever they live. Imagine a cocaine addict with the ability to print money and borrow trillions: this will be a HARD landing folks. BRACE!

Edited by daveinthailand
  • Like 2

I was able to open an account at Bangkok Bank branch in Paragon.

I also have an account at Kasikorn Bank at their Sukhapiban 3 branch (Ramkhamhaeng Road).

I was refused to open account at TMB in Central World as well as at Bangkok Bank on Ramkhamhaeng Road. Seems to be depending on the branch, not on the bank itself.

I can recommend Bangkok Bank on Thapae Road, at least to get information, in good English. I bank there as did a recently deceased friend of mine, and have needed to go there many times with complicated issues. There is a middle aged female manager, usually in the small office on the right side as you enter who seems to be available to answer the more complicated matters. She is extremely friendly and extremely knowledgeable from my experiences there.

That's the same branch of Bangkok Bank that I have been using for years. Never saw any problems there for opening an account. Another good bank is the SCB just back up Thapae Rd towards Changkline RD. Will open up account on a 30 day visa exempt.