School bus crash injures 13 students in Prachinburi

webfact

Is that songtheaw legal? Yes.

as for the rest .. seat belts in a songtheaw? Have you ever been to Thailand?

How would you know if it's legal ???? and no I didn't suggest seat belts in that vehicle. After 4500 posts, you would have been better asking had I ever been out of the kingdom. were only posting and asking why do they allow converted lorries to carry kids. and on top deck.

Your last silly question speaks volumes about how clever you are - give us your take on the incident lets hear how good it is......I'm waiting

My take:

In Prachinburi a songtheaw, ;legally transporting children to/from school was run off the road by a bigger truck. Children were hurt. Nobody was killed. The driver did not run.

Edit to add more: There was no mention of the students being anywhere other than inside the confines of the rear passenger compartment. There is no requirement for seatbelts in the rear passenger compartment of a songthaew of any size.

Edited by jdinasia

I am not too far from there and am glad that there were no fatalities! Those roads and the big trucks on them make i a scary ride on a small motorcycle!

Worth note: The driver did not run away!

You answered me on page 2, and was asking for your take on the incident. I found this. you started brilliant and I am also pleased there were no deaths.

"Scary and the driver didn't run away" OK but is that it. If you read my other posts the content was a little better than this. so why nit pick at my post.

The overcrowded songhtaew is daily thing. Or is this surprise for you guys?

There were about 20 adults on the one I was on in Bangkok a couple of weeks ago. So 27 children could easily fit on. 7 children seated either side, 10 standing inside, 3 standing on the back. Easy. No overcrowding would mean 3 buses needed instead of one, so who would pay for the extra buses? Thailand is poorer than Western nations, so standards are bound to be lower. When Western nations were as poor as Thailand, standards were very low indeed. Better safety comes with increasing wealth. There is a lot they could do to improve safety, but many on here expect 1st world safety at developing world prices.  

This country has the money, just not the priorities!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am not too far from there and am glad that there were no fatalities! Those roads and the big trucks on them make i a scary ride on a small motorcycle!

You answered me on page 2, and was asking for your take on the incident. I found this. you started brilliant and I am also pleased there were no deaths.

"Scary and the driver didn't run away" OK but is that it. If you read my other posts the content was a little better than this. so why nit pick at my post.

crazy.gif I didn't answer you in the post you quoted. Your questions in the post I first replied to were naive to the point that I felt compelled to reply to that post. Everything since has been a bit silly since I did not nitpick your post. I merely mentioned the most outlandish/silly question asked in it.

This is Thailand and if you do not see the point of me including the fact that the driver did not run away .......

In Thailand that type of songthaew or smaller is the most common form of transportation for children getting to and from school. None of them have seatbelts (that you mentioned in the post I replied to) ... etc Your mentioning your post count as if that added validity to your prior questions? ... again crazy.gif

I live in a country with extremely hazardous roads. At my condo in BKK I see about 1 death a week along a 1 mile stretch of road near Seacon Sq. Where I currently spend my weekdays there is a baked on blood stain on the main road just outside of where my house is. I have been in schools around this area and know that even some (most) of the better government schools do not even have glassed windows in their classrooms. Teaching materials are sub-par etc ... I don't expect a songtheaw used as a schoolbus (legally and apparently in good working order) to be more than what it is. (a cheap and efficient method of transporting students to and from school.)

edit to remove quotation marks from my post that paraphrased something you said and did not quote it. (you could learn from that)

Edited by jdinasia

crazy.gif I didn't answer you in the post you quoted. Your questions in the post I first replied to were naive to the point that I felt compelled to reply to that post. Everything since has been a bit silly since I did not nitpick your post. I merely mentioned the most outlandish/silly question asked in it.

This is Thailand and if you do not see the point of me including the fact that the driver did not run away .......

In Thailand that type of songthaew or smaller is the most common form of transportation for children getting to and from school. None of them have seatbelts (that you mentioned in the post I replied to) ... etc Your mentioning your post count as if that added validity to your prior questions? ... again crazy.gif

I live in a country with extremely hazardous roads. At my condo in BKK I see about 1 death a week along a 1 mile stretch of road near Seacon Sq. Where I currently spend my weekdays there is a baked on blood stain on the main road just outside of where my house is. I have been in schools around this area and know that even some (most) of the better government schools do not even have glassed windows in their classrooms. Teaching materials are sub-par etc ... I don't expect a songtheaw used as a schoolbus (legally and apparently in good working order) to be more than what it is. (a cheap and efficient method of transporting students to and from school.)

edit to remove quotation marks from my post that paraphrased something you said and did not quote it. (you could learn from that)

OK we both know from our experience that these are the norm method of transport for school children.

With the increasing number of accidents and fatalities something will have to be done.

I do not agree with you that they are efficient, if so then they need to be padded. cheap I agree.

You cannot have kids riding on top deck, it is dangerous and foolish for those that condone it--no excuse for anyone to say it's always done this way-safety standards HAVE to be improved. NO driver if he has a brain or feeling is going to let kids ride on the roof. No authority should turn a blind eye. Yes even police who see this at school times. BUT the BIB stop you on a M/cycle without a crash hat and collect money-----brains NO gain YES

But PLS don't forget a few very important thing when you talk about the parent's negligence, and adjudge them :

1. You are NOT local people from another culture.

2. You won't understand them exactly never, reason of n.1.

3. These parents also want to send their children to school by Rolls Royce silver line, but CAN'T afford it.

4. Reason of 1. - 3. DON'T adjudge the parents, or you will find in TH the careful parent who doesn't make any child.

thumbsup.gif

But PLS don't forget a few very important thing when you talk about the parent's negligence, and adjudge them :

1. You are NOT local people from another culture.

2. You won't understand them exactly never, reason of n.1.

3. These parents also want to send their children to school by Rolls Royce silver line, but CAN'T afford it.

4. Reason of 1. - 3. DON'T adjudge the parents, or you will find in TH the careful parent who doesn't make any child.

thumbsup.gif

1 another culture has nothing to do with it.

2 you do not need to understand it.

3 These parents needn't put up with their child doing as he wants-riding on top.

4 Care for your child----parent+-local authorities--NOTHING TO DO WITH CULTURE--

5 My heart for my kid is that strong, that I wouldn't put him in danger. culture my Rs.

Point 3, of YOURS, a funeral is more costly than a 5 bht cheap ride.