Sailing, Ocean Marina Pattaya

noikrit

Looking to get involved in coming sailing season out of Ocean Marina. 52 yr AUS male, Years of experince on both Multi and Mono hulls,,from small centerboard to fix keel cruiser/racers, Maxi Yachts, 12 Mtr Americas Cup, Super Yachts etc.... Skipper or Crew I'm easy.... Local of 7 years... In it for social life but love to take my racing serious if called on . Any advise on picking up a ride ? Haven't seen a notice board as such at the Marina , or have I missed it ? ... Cheers all ! .... Sail On ! thumbsup.gif

they race once a month for the most part, a mixture of a few keelers and some 25 foot one design Farr 25 Platus, the odd multihull mostly of the trimaran variety. it's usually the 2nd Saturday/sunday of each month.

The schedule of racing is here:

http://www.omycsailing.com/calendar/

It's pretty casual (IMHO) for most of the year and most of the people go to sail, have fun, and enjoy rather than the full on racing you might see elsewhere - there is a wide variety in skills from guys who are running IRC optimised boats, tacticians reading shifts and plotting courses etc; pre running starts for 30 minutes before races and doing rig tuning..... through to people who plow around the course with no kite and drinking their bodyweight in beer with the sails set and forget. Pick a boat that matches your aims in sailing.

The big more serious regattas are Kings Cup (Dec), Top of the Gulf Pattaya (May), Samui (June), Phuket Raceweek (july). There is also some specific platu racing with the platu cup, quite serious also with a few crews coming in from the region to race.

The other alternative is the dinghy scene at Varuna mostly lasers, RS dinghies and trailerable cats I think. Only if you speak Thai, the dinghy scene in Sattahip (which has the biggest fleets, but is mostly youth sailing so in optis and 420s). There is a windsurfing and kiting group of racers as well but I don't know their timetable and they race a lot less (although sailing almost every day with breeze in the high season for those sports which is from now until Sept).

Different boats think differently, but most skippers appreciate crew to pay for themselves race entry running at something like 800b I think for a weekend per person which is mostly to cover F&B cost of the dinner and free drink provided on the sat night and skipper pays for the boat entry.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...