Russian boy seventh victim of Pattaya ferry accident

webfact

Russian boy seventh victim of Thai ferry accident

BANGKOK, November 7, 2013 (AFP) - A 12-year-old Russian boy died Thursday from injuries sustained in a Thai tourist ferry disaster, raising the death toll to seven, police said.

The double-decker boat went down on Sunday near the popular coastal resort of Pattaya, around 150 kilometres (100 miles) southeast of Bangkok.

A Polish couple, a man from Hong Kong and three Thai passengers also died.

PATTAYA: -- The Russian boy, who had been in critical condition, died in a hospital in the nearby city of Si Racha on Thursday, Pattaya police commander Colonel Suwarn Chiewnawintawat said by telephone.

"There are three other people in hospital but they are out of danger," he added.

Staff at the hospital where the boy was being treated said he never regained consciousness and developed respiratory problems and swelling of the brain.

Survivors recounted scrambling for life jackets as water poured on board, forcing them to the upper deck where the boat became unstable before sinking rapidly.

The cause of the accident remains unknown but the co-owner of the boat's operator has said the ferry might have hit a rock or other object, ripping a hole in its hull.

The boat captain has been charged with causing death through negligence. The incident has revived fears over safety standards in the kingdom, which drew a record 22 million tourists last year.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-11-07

R.I.P.

It is surprising that this type of incident should happen in such a Tourist dominated area

One would have thought that the Safety for Passengers & Crew alike would be superior because of the heavy use.

Tragic.

coffee1.gif

How very sad.

I wonder why they took him all the way to Sri Racha........

They would have driven past the large and competent hospital, Bangkok Pattaya.

I know a few people out here who would say that BKK/Pattaya hospital is only competent of taking people money.... If no money and no insurances, they wouldn't touch you, no matter how bad your condition are coffee1.gif

• Like 1

How very sad.

I know a few people out here who would say that BKK/Pattaya hospital is only competent of taking people money.... If no money and no insurances, they wouldn't touch you, no matter how bad your condition are coffee1.gif

What are saying, that the private hospitals welcome the indigent and uninsured with open arms?

How very sad.

Insurance wasn't an issue with the victims from the ferry disaser as costs were being met by Pattaya authorities.

Bangkok has even better hospitals but they didn't go all the way there.

Someone likely to die should go to the nearest capable place.

Edited by jacko45k