I thought I had seen everything on Thai roads

thonglorjimmy

I am always appalled by the standard of driving on Thai roads and thought that nothing would shock me, until a few moments ago.

I just watch some CCTV footage that was broadcast on Channel 7, it was only a short clip but really sickened me.

A couple were crossing the road on their motorcycle, they stopped in the middle of the road as there was a pick-up approaching from left of shot, I assume they were not sure if the driver was going to stop to allow them to cross. As they stopped a car stopped behind them and a motorcyclist behind the car, the motorcyclist, foolishly, went to undercut the stopped car and then the pick-up then decided to overtake the stationary motorcycle and car on the far right-hand side of the road - hitting the motorcyclist who was undercutting, but still on the correct side of the road, head on.

The hapless motorcyclist went under both wheels of the pick-up and was left laying in the middle of the road, the pick-up just sped away.

That was sickening enough, but all the cars on the scene then manoeuvred around the lifeless body laying in the road and continued on their journey, other cars slowed down to pass the guy but didn't stop.

I read a thread recently about would people stop if they witnessed an accident, it is bad enough, in my opinion, not stopping if you see an accident, but having witnessed this terrible accident and manoeuvring around a lifeless body actually left me sick in the stomach.

I have to say that I have no idea as the nationality of the drivers and clearly help did arrive, thankfully the guy survived but was badly injured.

Edited by thonglorjimmy
  • Like 1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was sickening enough, but all the cars on the scene then manoeuvred around the lifeless body laying in the road and continued on their journey, other cars slowed down to pass the guy but didn't stop.

I'm pretty sure I saw a dead woman lying in the road once. The paramedics just left here there while they worked on the injured.

We didn't stop but the taxi did have to slow down a bit to drive around her.

I'm not 100% sure she was dead but she looked it and was being ignored by the rescue workers at the time we passed.

I guess you would class me as being in the 'other cars slowed down to pass' category as I didn't see the accident but was driving the same way.

What would you do ? Stop the car and then what ?

• Like 1

Driver education is so badly needed in this country this just proves that. Always stop at accidents in my home country however as hard as it is in Thailand i don't. To many stories of the farang somehow being blamed and of course having to go to the nearest ATM to fix it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Normally the cars slow down so they can drive and take pics with their mobiles at the same time.

For the drivers license, my wife paid 400 baht, 1 hour driving, and 45 minutes theory.

Needless that say but I was quite scared in the beginning when she was driving.

• Like 1

************** had no advantage to them, so they didn't.

The stars in this case would be 'Stopping', but you could replace them with anything.

No advantage to oneself in a situation, they won't do it. Holding doors, as one quick example.

• Like 1

but still on the actual other thread about road accident,

the apologist claims -that thai people dont stopping- is just a myth that you only hear on a barstool...

Now we know we should never rely on the apologist...

• Like 1

High sided my bike earlier this year, avoiding a pickup who came straight out of a Soi. Somersaulted over the handle bars, landed on my butt, fractured my hip. Lying prone in the middle of road, in acute pain, no one stopped; just drove around me; some even blasting their horns at me. Didn't know then that my hip was broken of course; crawled to the side of the road, dragging my bike with me. Phoned the GF, who eventually then took me to hospital. Bike fortunately wasn't too badly damaged.

GF simply said Thais are like that.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Twice fallen of the motorbike. Once because of sand and stones on the road on a downhillbend. People came right away to help. It was daytime, round noon. Second time, driving uphill and slipped because of oil on the road. Nobody stopped. It was nighttime.

1 cant generalize that all thais are the same. There is good and bad.

• Like 2

Twice fallen of the motorbike. Once because of sand and stones on the road on a downhillbend. People came right away to help. It was daytime, round noon. Second time, driving uphill and slipped because of oil on the road. Nobody stopped. It was nighttime.

1 cant generalize that all thais are the same. There is good and bad.

Riding my CB400 was going up a hill midway thru 3rd gear. Out of nowhere a cop comes running on to the road yelling and pointing!! Been riding my whole life but caught me unaware grabbed way to much front brake laid the bike down etc etc I get up just normal gravel rash arms legs chest. The cop picks up my bike walks it to me then turns around walks off not saying a word!! I'm like OI WHAT THE F(;@ ARE YOU DOING U BRAINLESS TWIT!! He didn't even look back which looking back was a good thing was a heat of the moment verbal attack! Bike had minor damage gear lever bent etc etc had to ride myself to the hospital where i was charged the ferang special ha ha To this day have no idea why he ran onto the road ha ha ha

I got hit by a car driving straight through redlights once while I was cycling through a green light on a crossroads. While I was lying injured in the road other cars beeped their horns for me to get out their way.

This was in Coventry.

Well, did you get out their way? I remember you, but I was almost 4-minutes late to a massage appointment and I certainly didn't want bad karma from them!! I did ask if you were OK; however, my windows were up and it was simply to hot outside. I glanced at your bike, wondering if I could sell it on CL, but if I didn't get the price I wanted I might sue you for the remainder. coffee1.gif Next time, please have your wallet placed right next to the bike. thanks buddy.

Edited by puukao
  • Like 1

GF simply said Thais are like that.

And the thing is that almost all have never even left Thailand so do not know that there is another way, so it's the conditioning they have received from birth that sticks in their mind. That they are the best people, they are strong, moral, just, god-like.

I'm pretty sure I saw a dead woman lying in the road once. The paramedics just left here there while they worked on the injured.

I'm not 100% sure she was dead but she looked it and was being ignored by the rescue workers at the time we passed.

I guess you would class me as being in the 'other cars slowed down to pass' category as I didn't see the accident but was driving the same way.

to be fair to the paramedics if they had checked the lady and she WAS dead they were correct leave her alone , help the living and the injured maybe put a blanket over her , but if your dead your dead .

to be fair to the paramedics if they had checked the lady and she WAS dead they were correct leave her alone , help the living and the injured maybe put a blanket over her , but if your dead your dead .

I've done First Aid courses, and you're right, that's exactly what you are taught to do.

A friend was crossing a pedestrian crossing with a green walking light on Soi 21 Asok when a Fortuner flew through their red light and he had to jump out of the way, it still hit him on the arm.

The fortuner stopped, he stopped and looked, then a high heel shoe came flying out of it at him.

Must be the Buddhist way of apologizing for an illegal and almost fatal wrongdoing.

the apologist claims -that thai people dont stopping- is just a myth that you only hear on a barstool...

We should rely on nameless TV poster guy instead? Both have equal credibility...

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

We should rely on nameless TV poster guy instead? Both have equal credibility...

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Why would we lie about such things?

My natural reaction/instinct was, and remains, to stop at any accident to see if I can assist. My own experiences here however are making me question that natural instinct.

How is that so difficult for you to understand and accept?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

So when you stop, and do as much as you can to help the person, phone for Ambulance and get them to hospital, what will you do then, when you get handed the Bill for being the good Samaritan?

No you will be fingered for causing the accident!! Police arrive there instantly on ya like white on rice and before you know it your bending over being violated at the closest ATM!!

I was trying to cross Soi Buakhaow in Pattaya, which is not a one-way road and apart from the usual inappropriately-dressed (thongs, bare chests, no helmets) riders there was one man who took my breath away. He had obviously been in an accident, he had his cast on his right foot, had his crutches on his motorbike and had no helmet or shirt. I couldn't see whether he had a thong on the other foot but I would assume so.