Super Typhoon Haiyan slams Philippines

webfact

Typhoon is really a problem in the Philippines being corruption which is number 1.

Just imagine millions of pesos of cropping are destroyed by typhoon

and billion of pesos those greedy politician had corrupted and they continue corrupting...

If not because of those problems, Philippines for sure is one of the most developed countries nowadays

"President Benigno Aquino had on Thursday warned his countrymen to make all possible preparations for Haiyan, which was packing monster wind gusts of nearly 380km/h as it approached the Philippines."

seems that the President's government has done far too little, far too late, (again).

The people of the Philippines deserve better, but what can they really expect from a corrupt government that relies on remittances from OFWs to feed their peasants, and infrastructure investment is just an excuse for the rich Chinese families who own the country to leech even more.

Send money donations to the Philippines if it makes you feel better, but don't be surprised if it never arrives. Maybe Thailand can send a few tons of surplus rice?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typhoon is really a problem in the Philippines being corruption which is number 1.

Just imagine millions of pesos of cropping are destroyed by typhoon

and billion of pesos those greedy politician had corrupted and they continue corrupting...

If not because of those problems, Philippines for sure is one of the most developed countries nowadays

"President Benigno Aquino had on Thursday warned his countrymen to make all possible preparations for Haiyan, which was packing monster wind gusts of nearly 380km/h as it approached the Philippines."

seems that the President's government has done far too little, far too late, (again).

The people of the Philippines deserve better, but what can they really expect from a corrupt government that relies on remittances from OFWs to feed their peasants, and infrastructure investment is just an excuse for the rich Chinese families who own the country to leech even more.

Send money donations to the Philippines if it makes you feel better, but don't be surprised if it never arrives. Maybe Thailand can send a few tons of surplus rice?

There's no need to use this as an excuse to launch venom at the Philippine government. I think President Aquino (known as PNoy) has been working extremely hard to do whatever he can to help. He actually does care, I'm sure of that.

As I already explained, this level of storm surge has never been experienced in the area before, and they've had some pretty big typhoons come through there in the past. If they didn't prepare enough it was out of ignorance, not negligence. They just didn't know - same as the situation in New Orleans, Japan and Phuket in other recent disasters.

I'll lay bets you won't ever see this many people killed in a storm surge ever again in the Philippines no matter how severe the typhoon. They'll be heading for the hills. They are really not that stupid. They don't want to die.

To be honest, I was also negligent. I hear about typhoons headed our way regularly throughout every year and tend to switch off when I hear announcements due to their frequency. If I had taken more notice I would have made the family go out and buy lots of tarps to keep everything dry and a truck load of tinned and other instant food.

Edited by tropo

...Many countries now send donations and help relief, but it isn't enough, according to UN...

rumors about charity: UNICEF CEO - Caryl M. Stern receives $1.2 Million per year (100k per month)

plus all living & housing expenses, including a ROLLS ROYCE.

Less than 15 cents of your donated dollar actually goes to the cause - "but it isn't enough, according to UN"

***humbly exchanged on request*** https://www.google.com/search?q=caryl+m.+stern+receives+1.2+million

now you can made up your own mind where to donate...

I cannot believe only 15% gets through to the required people, from a conglomerate of that size and experience, they would not be in business anymore if true.

...Many countries now send donations and help relief, but it isn't enough, according to UN...

rumors about charity: UNICEF CEO - Caryl M. Stern receives $1.2 Million per year (100k per month)

Less than 15 cents of your donated dollar actually goes to the cause - "but it isn't enough, according to UN"

***humbly exchanged on request*** https://www.google.com/search?q=caryl+m.+stern+receives+1.2+million

I cannot believe only 15% gets through to the required people, from a conglomerate of that size and experience, they would not be in business anymore if true.

No it's not true, however what they do get paid is good and in some cases well deserved when you consider the logistics of handling world wide problems. Below is what the real figure is and you can go to the web site snopes to see what all the other charities get.

UNICEF: The e-mail is not specific about which executive is being referred to here, as UNICEF (the United Nations Children's Fund) is a global organization with offices in 190 countries. We're assuming the reference is to the President and CEO of the United States Fund for UNICEF, Caryl M. Stern, whose last reported total yearly compensation was $472,891, not $1,200,000. Both Charity Navigator and Forbes rate this organization's efficiency at 91%, far greater than the 14% claimed in the e-mail cited above. In response to the claim that UNICEF's CEO receives "a Royal Royce for his exclusive use where ever he goes," UNICEF told us that "There is no Rolls Royce or company car provided for any staff member at UNICEF or the U.S. Fund, including the President and CEO of the U.S. Fund or UNICEF’s Executive Director.

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp#TRE9gD1meyurqz4G.99

Just heard news that 8 people died in a stampede to steal 33 sacks of rice from a warehouse in Alang Alang on Monday night. That's just north of Tacloban.

I also just heard a story about how some foreigners found out that their food donations were going straight to officials.

I have not seen any evidence that aid is getting through at all apart from Tacloban City...and we've just passed the 5 day mark. If anyone is hording donated supplies, they are going to be guilty of mass murder if things don't improve very quickly.

GMA NEWS TV (ch 12 sky cable) now report LIVE from Tacloban Leyte: 'No water or food coming' ...

Many people are crying live on TV and begging for help.

Heart breaking.

So even the one place where I thought some aid was getting through is not getting any.

So where is the AID?

GMA NEWS TV (ch 12 sky cable) now report LIVE from Tacloban Leyte: 'No water or food coming' ...

Many people are crying live on TV and begging for help.

Heart breaking.

So even the one place where I thought some aid was getting through is not getting any.

So where is the AID?

@ Tropo: I thought the same. Last night on local TV, a US soldier said they arrived and brought some water etc. Confusing news. I would guess some are coming, but the average Pinoy don't see any of it.

Filipina singer and loal superstar Sharon Cuneta, donated 2 x 5 Million Peso to 2 charity organisations here yesterday.

Edited by Asia2000

UN launches $300m appeal as warships head to Philippines

TACLOBAN - The UN launched an appeal for more than $300 million in aid as US and British warships on Wednesday steamed towards the typhoon-ravaged Philippines, where thousands of people are feared dead.

Five days after Super Typhoon Haiyan destroyed entire coastal communities with record winds and tsunami-like waves, the magnitude of the disaster continued to build with almost unimaginable horror.

Festering bodies still littered the streets in many areas Wednesday, with the smell of rotting flesh hanging in the air and ramping up the fear of disease in the tropical heat.

Increasingly desperate survivors begged for help that was having difficulty reaching them -- many still without access to food and water after nights spent in the

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/11/12/13/un-launches-300m-appeal-warships-head-philippines

The comment "many still without access to food and water...." should have been.... "most still without..."

Edited by tropo

UP prof: Typhoon like Yolanda unusual

Some food for thought for global warming advocates.

Yolanda was arguably the world's strongest typhoon ever, yet the previous record holder was not from last year or even this decade - it's was in 1979.

"Bagtasa also noted that more typhoons developed in the northwest Pacific Ocean in the 1960s than in recent years"

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/11/12/13/prof-typhoon-yolanda-unusual

BANGKOK, 13 November 2013 (NNT) - Prime Minister and Defence Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has ordered NBT to organize a fundraiser, which will be aired on Channel 11(NBT) on the night of November 13, 2013.

Thailands relief aid for the Philipines.

BANGKOK, 13 November 2013 (NNT) - Prime Minister and Defence Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has ordered NBT to organize a fundraiser, which will be aired on Channel 11(NBT) on the night of November 13, 2013.

How to find what if any, the PI gave Thailand after the tsunami ?

Their fundraiser might reap in 100k baht if lucky.

That was a cheap shot.

More than one country suffered from the Tsunami.

That was a cheap shot.

Yes, and hardly a fair comparison. The tsunami damage in Thailand was limited by comparison and a coastal only. It didn't leave millions without shelter, food and water. The typhoon has wiped out whole towns and cities. Tacloban, with a population of 220,000 is no more - near 100% total destruction. One report stated: "Tacloban as a city has ceased to exist".

If you want to make comparisons, then Banda Arceh after the tsunami is a closer comparison....

The sad part is that the worst is yet to come. My wife is getting Facebook messages from all over Leyte of people in isolated communities screaming out for food and water. There are so many towns and villages that haven't even been reached by reporters, never mind food aid.

Here's a shout out to Australia! They're sending a mobile hospital complete with nurses, doctors and surgeons.....and offering airlifts to Darwin for critical cases.

That was a cheap shot.

Yes, and hardly a fair comparison. The tsunami damage in Thailand was limited by comparison and a coastal only. It didn't leave millions without shelter, food and water. The typhoon has wiped out whole towns and cities. Tacloban, with a population of 220,000 is no more - near 100% total destruction. One report stated: "Tacloban as a city has ceased to exist".

If you want to make comparisons, then Banda Arceh after the tsunami is a closer comparison....

The sad part is that the worst is yet to come. My wife is getting Facebook messages from all over Leyte of people in isolated communities screaming out for food and water. There are so many towns and villages that haven't even been reached by reporters, never mind food aid.

Here's a shout out to Australia! They're sending a mobile hospital complete with nurses, doctors and surgeons.....and offering airlifts to Darwin for critical cases.

and donating 10 million dollars, 300,000,000 baht

Edited by waza

That was a cheap shot.

The PI did not though from memory.

I was hoping they had given something significant, something more than a channel 11 fundraising order.

Just got a message right now. A close friend of mine from last year, are now missing with her partner, in Tacloban. Her family are going to Tacloban tomorrow searching ........ Not yet 25 year. Hopefully it's only because they can't connect to the rest of the world. But this lady know how to use internet / fb, and would do anything to connect with her family here in Cebu. In this time, all fear they're dead.

Now I seriously doubt the death toll.

My prayers go to you, my friend Erlinda.wai2.gif

.. and when you thought it couldn't get any worse,I read today that commie rebels have been shooting at relief trucks....bah.gif

That happened 2 days ago in Southern Luzon. The NPA (New People's Army - Communist) attacked an aid convoy coming down from Manila. The army killed 2 of the 15. They should have killed all of them.

Does anyone here know a reputable relief agency to send money to that would be trustworthy enough to know the money is going to actually get to the people in need?
I have been researching it and it seems the Salvation Army seems to be the best I can come up with so far.
I know when the tsunami hit Thailand, many of my friends and family in the states sent me money and I actually handed it out to folks that I saw their houses destroyed.
I don't know anyone in the Philipines good enough to do that, so gave to the Salvation Army.
If anyone knows a better way, I (and lots of people) would like to know.
I see that the leaders of the Red Cross and similar agencies just make a fortune in salary, so, don't want to add to THAT.

Ideas?

Does anyone here know a reputable relief agency to send money to that would be trustworthy enough to know the money is going to actually get to the people in need?

I have been researching it and it seems the Salvation Army seems to be the best I can come up with so far.

I know when the tsunami hit Thailand, many of my friends and family in the states sent me money and I actually handed it out to folks that I saw their houses destroyed.

I don't know anyone in the Philipines good enough to do that, so gave to the Salvation Army.

I see that the leaders of the Red Cross and similar agencies just make a fortune in salary, so, don't want to add to THAT.

Ideas?

I could distribute aid for you personally, through my family. You'd know exactly where it all went as I'd keep you informed. It would be used to buy food and medicine. Whatever you could provide would be like a drop in the ocean, but at least you'd know you are helping people in need and it's not going to waste... and you'd have direct feedback.

That was a cheap shot.

The PI did not though from memory.

I was hoping they had given something significant, something more than a channel 11 fundraising order.

Please note that the Philippines is a very poor country with 40% living below the poverty line. For Thailand it was about 8% according to CIA Factbook.... less than the USA.

Are you trying to put forward the idea that they don't deserve help because they didn't help Thailand during the tsunami? Or what is the point you're making?

The people who desperately need help in the Philippines are in a very poor region of a very poor country. Most of them cannot look after themselves on a good day, never mind donating to other nations who are rich by comparison.

At the end of the day, we don't choose our parents or where we are born.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Ideas?

I could distribute aid for you personally, through my family. You'd know exactly where it all went as I'd keep you informed. It would be used to buy food and medicine. Whatever you could provide would be like a drop in the ocean, but at least you'd know you are helping people in need and it's not going to waste... and you'd have direct feedback.

I'm glad you put forward this idea Fiddlehead, because it got me thinking. I'm going to start the ball rolling today. A friend is going in for 5000, so I'm going to donate 5000 today, for a total of 10,000 baht. My mother-in-law in PI will buy the food/aid and I'll have my sister's husband distribute it among the most needy. Hopefully the ATM in Ormoc City will be functioning so I can get this underway asap. The next step is to try to get some donations from my own family. That won't be easy because they're always crying poor. Feeling sorry for the plight of others is one thing, but actually doing something about it is another. Words are cheap.

The Australia Government has donated another 20 Million now totaling 30 mil in aid. They also reached by plane and chopper the furthest areas of the disaster, to distribute food, water, medical supplies and some Doctors and medical assistants. They also have dropped off some soldiers to set up mobile de-salination plants for people to get a drink. Australian Military Forces are also now clearing airport runways to enable jet aircraft to land and distribute supplies, as the only ones able to land were fixed prop planes.

Other countries are now adding to the relief as they arrive and just in time. Most countries do not send cash they send aid, food, water, tents, medical supplies and what ever else you can think of.

• Like 2

The Australia Government has donated another 20 Million now totaling 30 mil in aid. They also reached by plane and chopper the furthest areas of the disaster, to distribute food, water, medical supplies and some Doctors and medical assistants. They also have dropped off some soldiers to set up mobile de-salination plants for people to get a drink. Australian Military Forces are also now clearing airport runways to enable jet aircraft to land and distribute supplies, as the only ones able to land were fixed prop planes.

Other countries are now adding to the relief as they arrive and just in time. Most countries do not send cash they send aid, food, water, tents, medical supplies and what ever else you can think of.

They have wised up where the cash ends up.

Bet some of this still gets sold though...

Release hundreds of millions of years of captured carbon in about 200 years and see what happens, sounds like a great plan, what else can we do to change the weather patterns? I know let's go fracking to speed up the cyclones even more, I bet we can get to 1000km/h by 2050.

strange you mention this but the island that was hit main center front right was Leyte, the home to the geothermal power plant that supplies most of the regions power. yes hit by a category 5 storm dead center and guess what power outage in much of the region was something like 4-5 hours mainly due to precautionary shutdown. compare that to the disaster struck japanese fukushima power plant.

as for carbon, not from geothermal but the main thing from power/electricity is heat and yes geothermal is still yes a contributor.

i guess they get plenty of practice but that type of efficiency for keeping power up in major natural disaster isnt going to be matched in many, if any parts of the world. give credit where it is due. sign em for a contract quick.

Are you seriously reporting that power is not a problem for that region after this typhoon.? How sad and misinformed you are ! Please read a newspaper or tune in to your International News on TV to view the devastation that you obviously cannot comprehend.

Here is a link that may better inform you...

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/335147/news/nation/leyte-and-samar-islands-still-without-power-days-after-yolanda-super-typhoon