Super Typhoon Haiyan slams Philippines

webfact

Release hundreds of millions of years of captured carbon in about 200 years and see what happens, sounds like a great plan, what else can we do to change the weather patterns? I know let's go fracking to speed up the cyclones even more, I bet we can get to 1000km/h by 2050.

strange you mention this but the island that was hit main center front right was Leyte, the home to the geothermal power plant that supplies most of the regions power. yes hit by a category 5 storm dead center and guess what power outage in much of the region was something like 4-5 hours mainly due to precautionary shutdown. compare that to the disaster struck japanese fukushima power plant.

as for carbon, not from geothermal but the main thing from power/electricity is heat and yes geothermal is still yes a contributor.

i guess they get plenty of practice but that type of efficiency for keeping power up in major natural disaster isnt going to be matched in many, if any parts of the world. give credit where it is due. sign em for a contract quick.

Are you seriously reporting that power is not a problem for that region after this typhoon.? How sad and misinformed you are ! Please read a newspaper or tune in to your International News on TV to view the devastation that you obviously cannot comprehend.

Here is a link that may better inform you...

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/335147/news/nation/leyte-and-samar-islands-still-without-power-days-after-yolanda-super-typhoon

I missed this post. It is total nonsense.

The power in most badly affected areas of Samar and Leyte will not be restored until early January (AT THE EARLIEST). I got these dates form the main power company in Leyte (Leyeco).

Tacloban will probably have to wait until February and that's if they're lucky. Many of these towns have been totally destroyed. Tacloban City is no more, as many reporters are putting it.

I saw aerial video of huge transmission towers flattened on Leyte and Samar.

At this stage no one should even consider worrying about electricity in the area. Food, water, medical care and taking care of the dead are the primary concerns at this stage. Some banks in Ormoc City are operating on generators, which is good news. Our family managed to get some money out of an ATM yesterday, but communications are still out and charging cell phones is not easy. I was really surprised to hear that they are charging for phone charging at charging stations.

I also received some good news about food distribution. I'm now aware of a handout just down the road from our place yesterday. It was done by barangay staff and in a very orderly fashion. Only people who really needed food got it. People who had family able to help from abroad or elsewhere were not given any as food can be purchased by people who still have cash or have access to cash from outside. Money transfer services (Western Union, Cebuana and maybe LBC) are available in Ormoc City.

There's another problem to concern people now. All the prisoners of the main prison in Tacloban are running free and there's reports of rapes, looting and shooting by convicts.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philippines raises typhoon death toll to 3,621: disaster agency

http://news.ph.msn.com/regional/philippines-raises-typhoon-death-toll-to-3621-disaster-agency

Philippine typhoon death toll jumps

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/philippine-typhoon-death-toll-jumps-u-helicopters-boost-032851777.html

UN says Philippine typhoon death toll 4,460, govt disputes figure

http://news.ph.msn.com/top-stories/un-says-philippine-typhoon-death-toll-4460-govt-disputes-figure-10

Edited by Asia2000

Very sad.

Thinking of the children, not only having to endure the storm itself but the aftermath which, lets face it, will continue for years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/philippines/10453974/Typhoon-Haiyan-RAF-arrives-in-Philippines-carrying-aid.html

I am working with guys who have families in need.

Devastating.

I must say, Tropo's little relief effort is very well done and appreciated, especially the updates, very good job.

Thanks! I wish I could do more. I've heard word that the food has been bought and is probably being distributed as we speak.... in 3 different areas. I hope I can send more again soon. I've got the feelers out, but it's not easy.

As it turned out, we bought 4 sacks of rice (200kg), 140 tins of sardines, 140 tins of corned beef and about 300 packs of noodles, totaling 20,000 peso. That's exactly what you can get for 20,000 pesos (1 USD = 43 peso) in Ormoc City right now. I figure from the numbers we'll be donating to about 140 people.

My wife's family are very happy to be doing this.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/philippine-typhoon-death-toll-passes-5-200-govt-002232039.html

The number of people dead or missing after one of the world's strongest typhoons struck the Philippines climbed towards 7,000 on Saturday, as the United Nations warned much more needed to be done to help desperate survivors.

The government's confirmed death toll rose to 5,235, with another 1,613 people still missing more than two weeks after Super Typhoon Haiyan destroyed entire towns across a long stretch of islands in the central Philippines.

Townsville-based soldiers from the 3rd Combat Engineer Regiment (3CER) have hit the ground running in the Philippines, cleaning up the Cogon Central School in Ormoc that was severely damaged by Typhoon Haiyan.

After a day of offloading equipment, stores and personnel from HMAS Tobruk in an amphibious operation, the Officer Commanding the Recovery Support Force (RSF), Major Ken Golder, said the engineers had commenced their mission tasks with the clean up and restoration of the local school.

“Within 12 hours of having a meeting with the Department of Education and DFAT Aid, Australian soldiers have been able to start work to help the City of Ormoc,” Major Golder said.

“Soldiers within the RSF are pleased to work with locals in rebuilding some community facilities.”

The RSF is made up of approximately 100 soldiers and engineer equipment and is able to conduct quick impact clean-up projects that aim to help local Philippine government recovery efforts.

Lance Corporal Dan Jarret, a section Second in Command, said that the assistance tasks fit well with the capabilities that 3CER can provide.

“Our Regiment is made up a number of different elements such as field engineers, tradies (electricians, plumbers and carpenters), and also plant operators that can use the bulldozers and excavators,” Lance Corporal Jarret said.

“So we’re able to provide a good range of support on the ground for a variety of different tasks.”

Ms Nilda Dejano a local Barangay (District) Captain, in Ormoc city said she was very happy that Australian soldiers were helping them clean and fix the school.

“Thank you very much, and more power to you,” she said.

The Australian Joint Task Force will continue to determine future tasks in conjunction with the Government of the Philippines through the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).

HMAS Tobruk is currently anchored off the coast of the Philippines and is supporting recovery operations with amphibious and aviation elements.

This info from the Vietnam Veterans website.

• Like 1

Another $10,000,000. in Aide donated to the Philippines by the Australian government. This now brings the total to $40,000,000. Not including the Military assistance.

The news tonight said the official figure for the dead is currently 6000 and there is still approx. 2000 missing.

They also stated that this was the worst Typhoon to ever hit the country.

Edited by OZEMADE

Another $10,000,000. in Aide donated to the Philippines by the Australian government. This now brings the total to $40,000,000. Not including the Military assistance.

The news tonight said the official figure for the dead is currently 6000 and there is still approx. 2000 missing.

They also stated that this was the worst Typhoon to ever hit the country.

Judging by the figures of dead, the October 1897 typhoon was at least as bad. There was also a very bad one in 1912, but there's no one alive to give accounts of these.

What they really should be stating is that it's the worst in recent years.

The climate change advocates don't like to concede that a typhoon over one hundred years ago was as bad because that doesn't look good for their theories. Looking back on recent records, the 2nd (or strongest) typhoon on record was Typhoon Tip of 1979. This typhoon didn't hit the Philippines, but it does demonstrate that the scale of Yolanda is nothing new and not evidence for global warming.

• 3 weeks later...