Super Typhoon Haiyan slams Philippines

webfact

This thing could devastate the N. half of Vietnam if it gains strength over the China sea and follows the recent predicted track. Link

My condolences sound so weak. I simply feel helpless. This is horrible and I don't want to even know the final numbers. The only thing I know to do is to log on and give a donation to the Red Cross which I will now, and earmark it for this. This is horrible and they will need international help.

I hope carrier groups are hurrying toward them. I recall that in the tsunami a few years ago, it was said that the lines a carrier put ashore could produce something like 50,000 gallons of drinking water per hour from sea water, something the Red Cross can't do. They also took people on board by helicopter to use the hospitals on the carriers and also brought in a hospital ship. I hope they are hurrying.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 2

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Local news reported estimated damage more than 7 Billion Peso.

Relief goods arriving to slow.

1 Million familes affected by the storm, and they need food and water.

Only 1 operational hospital in the Tacloban area, who already run out of medicines.

People looting malls, for anything they can find. Even ice cream machines and ATM's.

Police sending 150 police officers to the area. Army and Red Cross International are already in Tacloban.

On Saturday, people in Cebu city was buying up on food and water. Never seen so long lines in the supermarkets. Locals are afraid of another Typhoon. The Churces moved to the malls, praying for the victims and survivers. Was strange to witness so many emotional people in Ayala mall praying, and thanking God for their survival.

Philippines was struck by 7.2 Earthquake last month, and now the stongest Typhoon ever recorded.

The country is in desperate need for help from the world. After all the hardship the people of the Philippines has been through, they really deserve all the help they can get.

Asia2000 Cebu

Amazingly resilient people who can still smile in the middle of a disaster. Yes they deserve all the help they can get. They certainly deserve a much better quality of government.

New storm may pass same route as Typhoon 'Yolanda'

http://anc.yahoo.com/video/storm-pass-same-route-typhoon-200812173.html

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/11/10/13/new-storm-pass-same-route-yolanda

CNN weather report says it will start Monday night.

'We need International help now, this is worse than hell'

said a local lady in Tacloban, on CNN news right now.

Asia2000 Cebu

Edited by Asia2000

UN estimate 9.5 Million people affected by the Typhoon.

Many countries now send donations and help relief, but it isn't enough, according to UN.

Local TV stations now shows heart breaking stories, corpses everywhere ...........

Take a look at CNN and see the devestations. Then ask yourself, Can I Help?

Please donate to Red Cross, and help the people of the Philippines.

wai2.gif

Many countries now send donations and help relief, but it isn't enough, according to UN.

Local TV stations now shows heart breaking stories, corpses everywhere ...........

wai2.gif

I see the Thai government is sitting on its hands when its time to lend a helping hand, again.

wai2.gif

I see the Thai government is sitting on its hands when its time to lend a helping hand, again.

They might sell them rice for a discount.

I know it's not even close to the worse hit island, but some years ago I had a very special holiday on BANTAYAN island, north of Cebu. So I checked what happened there. Apparently, over 95 percent of the homes destroyed. Mostly really poor isolated people there and that was BEFORE this.

wai2.gif

I didn't even know this thread was running. I've been scouring the internet for 3 days and can add quite a bit of info....

The aid is just not getting through fast enough. As of this morning many in Ormoc City (city of about 200,000) hadn't eaten for 3 days. It's the same all over the afflicted areas on all islands. The power in most areas will not be restored until January 1 according to the electric company Leyeco. Tacloban City will be waiting 2 months for power according to most reports.

One of the saddest photos I've seen so far. I hope it stays up as it sums up the tragedy so well.

post-34982-0-22437900-1384157510_thumb.j

This is a very heartbreaking image of a father holding on to his 2 little kids while they drowned and died together during the typhoon in the Philippines. Continue to pray for our Country Philippines beloved. So many questions right n0w in the minds of the Filipinos. But we're going to pray that this tragedy can create changes in the heart of the Filipinos. I mean, I declare that this tragedy will bring the Filipino people more closer to GOD, that they will have an intimate and genuine relationship with the KING of KINGS, the one who can calm the raging seas and storms which is "JESUS"

I believe that 10,000 is a conservative estimate. It will take weeks to find out the true extent of the disaster as so many towns and villages are cut off from the outside world. I've only seen two videos from Samar, 3 days in, as reporters try to make their way to isolated areas. The coastal towns of Samar and Leyte have been totally destroyed. I told my wife as the typhoon was nearing that this will be the last night on earth for many, many people, and there's not a thing that can be done. On Thursday evening many had come to our house to seek shelter. It was like a big party and all the children were excited over all the commotion....little did they know what was to follow when one of the strongest typhoons ever passed overhead. We were chatting and laughing on Skype. Little did we know that the computer would be soon rendered useless... and possibly for months.

I'm still not able to comprehend why so many people died on the coastline. People were well informed very early on that a super typhoon was headed their way...I would have thought that in the Philippines where they get about 25 typhoons a year on average, they would have understood the necessity to get well away from the oceanfront. Sadly an evacuation center in Tacloban collapsed and people died there.

Here's one from Hernani, Samar. This is just north of Guiuan, the area of first landfall at about 4am on Friday morning. These videos are in Tagalog, but you can see for yourself the destruction.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/video/nation/regions/11/10/13/57-dead-hernani-eastern-samar-due-yolanda

Here's one from Guiuan, Samar at the southern tip of the island of Samar. Some reporters managed to make it down there on a motorcycle.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/video/nation/regions/11/10/13/first-look-destruction-guiuan-samar

I must be one of the "luckiest" guys on here as the eye of the typhoon came across Leyte just 8km south of my wife's family home, the one we bought and renovated back in 2007. A bullseye - a direct strike. No injuries as far as I know, but I don't have a full report yet. We are inland, so we didn't have to cope with the devastating storm surge.

We'd been waiting for 3 days, and finally this morning we got a text message from my mother-in-law. The roof of the house is gone and they're sleeping under a tarp. My wife's brother and sister have both lost their (little) houses that we built for them and they're sleeping at the local school. We're eagerly waiting for a call this afternoon.

Edited by tropo

wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>

I didn't even know this thread was running. I've been scouring the internet for 3 days and can add quite a bit of info....

The aid is just not getting through fast enough. As of this morning many in Ormoc City (city of about 200,000) hadn't eaten for 3 days. It's the same all over the afflicted areas on all islands. The power in most areas will not be restored until January 1 according to the electric company Leyeco. Tacloban City will be waiting 2 months for power according to most reports.

One of the saddest photos I've seen so far. I hope it stays up as it sums up the tragedy so well.

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.gTyphoon tragedy.jpg

This is a very heartbreaking image of a father holding on to his 2 little kids while they drowned and died together during the typhoon in the Philippines. Continue to pray for our Country Philippines beloved. So many questions right n0w in the minds of the Filipinos. But we're going to pray that this tragedy can create changes in the heart of the Filipinos. I mean, I declare that this tragedy will bring the Filipino people more closer to GOD, that they will have an intimate and genuine relationship with the KING of KINGS, the one who can calm the raging seas and storms which is "JESUS"

I believe that 10,000 is a conservative estimate. It will take weeks to find out the true extent of the disaster as so many towns and villages are cut off from the outside world. I've only seen two videos from Samar, 3 days in, as reporters try to make their way to isolated areas. The coastal towns of Samar and Leyte have been totally destroyed. I told my wife as the typhoon was nearing that this will be the last night on earth for many, many people, and there's not a thing that can be done. ON Thursday evening many had come to our house to seek shelter. It was like a big party and all the children were excited over all the commotion....little did they know what was to follow when one of the strongest typhoons ever passed overhead. I'm still not able to comprehend why so many people died on the coastline. People were well informed very early on that a super typhoon was headed their way...I would have thought that in the Philippines where they get about 25 typhoons a year on average, they would have understood the necessity to get well away from the oceanfront. Sadly an evacuation center in Tacloban collapsed and people died there.

Here's one from Hernani, Samar. This is just north of Guiuan, the area of first landfall at about 4am on Friday morning. These videos are in Tagalog, but you can see for yourself the destruction.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/video/nation/regions/11/10/13/57-dead-hernani-eastern-samar-due-yolanda

Here's one from Guiuan, Samar at the southern tip of the island of Samar. Some reporters managed to make it down there on a motorcycle.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/video/nation/regions/11/10/13/first-look-destruction-guiuan-samar

I must be one of the "luckiest" guys on here as the eye of the typhoon came across Leyte just 8km south of my wife's family home, the one we bought and renovated back in 2007. A bullseye - a direct strike. No injuries as far as I know, but I don't have a full report yet. We are inland, so we didn't have to cope with the devastating storm surge.

We'd been waiting for 3 days, and finally this morning we got a text message from my mother-in-law. The roof of the house is gone and they're sleeping under a tarp. My wife's brother and sister have both lost their (little) houses that we built for them and they're sleeping at the local school. We're eagerly waiting for a call this afternoon.

Thanks for posting that.

That is an amazing photo and for all the wrong reasons. Just goes to show how a parent, any good and decent parent, would and should love their children, right to the end.

Thanks for posting that.

That is an amazing photo and for all the wrong reasons. Just goes to show how a parent, any good and decent parent, would and should love their children, right to the end.

I'm sad to say that there could be 10,000 stories just like that.

It's not a well known event, but in 1991, on November 5, Ormoc City was destroyed by flash flooding and mudslides from the mountain that killed 5000 people.There were so many dead that they made a decision to quickly gather the bodies into big trucks and bury them in mass graves as there was no time to identify them. Relatives of the lost were very angry about this. There's some pretty horrific photos if you care to search. Photos of large sugar cane trucks loaded up with corpses.

Ironically the Japanese, who occupied the island until McArthur returned on October 20, 1944, paid for the construction of huge flood canals to prevent this from happening again.

I know it's not even close to the worse hit island, but some years ago I had a very special holiday on BANTAYAN island, north of Cebu. So I checked what happened there. Apparently, over 95 percent of the homes destroyed. Mostly really poor isolated people there and that was BEFORE this.

A friend up there called me today. Still no electricity, and all was in ruin.

Another in Danao (North Cebu near Baantayan) reported almost similar...

wai2.gif

The Thai government has far more important things to worry about, like who owns a rock on the Cambodian border....

A friend up there called me today. Still no electricity, and all was in ruin.

Another in Danao (North Cebu near Baantayan) reported almost similar...

"Still no electricity"?.... after 3 days? With most of the infrastructure (poles and lines) knocked out it won't be on till early January, and that's a prediction from the Leyte electric company (Leyeco). Tacloban will have to wait 2 months for full restoration.

Edited by tropo

Actually Bantayan Island is one of the worst hit islands. The eye of the typhoon came directly over it.

http://www.rappler.com/nation/43319-cebu-municipalities-isolated

As it went - Samar - Leyte - Northern tip of Cebu island - Bantayan - Panay.

I made that judgement based on the early fatality numbers from Bantayan which sounded surprisingly low considering the rate of housing damage (comparing to Leyte).

OK, I was just considering damage to housing and infrastructure. It will be quite a while until we get true casualty numbers.

I remember the morning of the typhoon the International media were making ridiculous comments on fatalities - such as "3 confirmed dead". The next day we were seeing the likes of "33 confirmed dead". This is the same time that I was viewing photos such as this:

post-34982-0-69682100-1384189269_thumb.j

You'd think high paid international media staff would be able to find these easily find-able photos before I do.

Here's a great resource for Ormoc City if anyone is interested in that area of Leyte:

https://www.facebook.com/ormoccityleytephilippines

Edited by tropo

Bought a CAT phonenet card to make cheaper calls to the Philippines and my entire 200 baht load has disappeared after making absolutely no connections whatsoever....talk about annoying! I wonder if they're refund the credit?

Bodies strewn everywhere.

You don't see these videos in the international media because they're too disturbing for most viewers, but skip to 2:00 and be prepared to shed a tear or two:

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/video/nation/regions/11/11/13/bodies-strewn-everywhere-tanauan-leyte

..and more:

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/video/nation/regions/11/11/13/watch-typhoon-survivors-tell-heart-wrenching-stories

(the guy in red crying at 1:45 is talking about how he was holding his wife and son as the water rose but then lost contact with them and later found his wife dead, trapped in the debris. He also lost his mother and father, the guy in yellow said his 2 sons are dead and his wife working in the US may see this video to learn their fate, the next lady lost her whole family.... the guy at 3:20 said his wife just delivered a baby and they don't have food.... too many sad stories)

At the time this video was shot, November 11, these people hadn't eaten for 3 days. This in the town of Tanauan and other coastal towns south of Tacloban. They feel they have been forgotten as all the aid is being sent to Tacloban City. This is where the typhoon made first landfall and was at its highest wind speeds. There are a lot of people in small isolated towns all around the islands who have literally been "forgotten" at this stage. All roads are cut so transport is impossible. I'm predicting that a lot of deaths from starvation and disease are soon to follow because many of these people are already frail from injuries.

International aid is just not getting through to where it is needed most.

edit: forgot to mention - in Tanauan alone there were 1000 dead. As you can see on the video posted above there are corpses strewn all around the town wrapped in plastic as there are no body bags.

Edited by tropo

Our family house has been destroyed. We have no communication. No one has food or water. We have no idea of how the family is doing. I need to post here to relieve the stress. If I watch videos of people who are worse off I can pretend I'm lucky.

We just read a post on Facebook from Neighbours:

"hello everyone, we are all safe, but no house, no electric or food. We are sleeping on the road. All barangay Kananaga - we badly need some help here" - 22 mins ago

New Earthquake 4,5 hits Bohol today, Tsunami rumor sends people in panic

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/earthquake-hits-bohol--tsunami-rumor-sends-people-in-panic-073158006.html

12 Nov 2013 - 01:21 PM 09.88 124.04 013 4.5 031 km N 38° E of Tagbilaran City

I thought it was much more than 4,5 today This just shows how all people are on the edge when it comes to Earthquakes. Remember we had more than 3000 Afterchocks last month. Personally I now sleep with lights on, and clothes are laid in front of my entrance door (like a firefighter) ready to jump into, and run out.

Haven't slept good since the Big Earthquake 7,2 last month, so I can understand the Pinoys who panic now.

Asia2000 Cebu

Edited by Asia2000

Philippine aid convoy ambushed as troops quell looting

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/philippine-aid-convoy-ambushed-troops-quell-looting-094247924.html

Some of that aid fell victim to one of the Philippines' long-running insurgencies when 15 communist rebels ambushed trucks on their way to the storm-wracked region, a local commander told AFP.

"There were no casualties on the government side," Lieutenant Colonel Joselito Kakilala said, adding that two members of the New People's Army, the militant wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines, were killed and another wounded in the clash in Matnog town, some 240 kilometres (150 miles) from Tacloban.

Ambushing an aid convoy? I reckon they should have lined them up and executed the whole gang of scumbags on the spot. They would have been quite happy to kill all the soldiers if they could have. This is a war situation.

Edited by tropo

Expect increasingly violent cyclones, weather experts warn

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/expect-increasingly-violent-cyclones-weather-experts-warn-175357823.html

"Global warming" proponents grasping at straws again.

It is estimated that temperatures rose by around 0.1 degrees Celsius par decade down to a depth of 75 metres (246 feet), and even warmed a little further down.

Can you believe this nonsense? - That a 0.1 C (even if it is true, which it probably isn't) temperature increase in a decade is going to cause a massive increase in violent cyclones.

Edited by tropo

Pentagon orders aircraft carrier ships to the Philippines.

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/pentagon-orders-aircraft-carrier-ships-philippines-231826801.html

US, Britain send warships to help Philippine relief efforts.

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/u-britain-sending-warships-help-philippine-relief-efforts-011952382.html

Google Person Finder can Help find missing relatives.

Edited by Asia2000

...Many countries now send donations and help relief, but it isn't enough, according to UN...

rumors about charity: UNICEF CEO - Caryl M. Stern receives $1.2 Million per year (100k per month)

plus all living & housing expenses, including a ROLLS ROYCE.

Less than 15 cents of your donated dollar actually goes to the cause - "but it isn't enough, according to UN"

***humbly exchanged on request*** https://www.google.com/search?q=caryl+m.+stern+receives+1.2+million

now you can made up your own mind where to donate...