What are the ways to make living/money as an expat in Thailand?

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry, that's gonna be gloomy (but maybe better facing the "truth" (well, it's just my humble opinion anyways wink.png before maybe the bloodshed starts...:

1. Unless you are a Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, or the Richard Branson kinda genius type (meaning, REALLY do have something SOLID unique, which you can reasonably control) I can only warn you to NOT start anything "fancy/expensive (by local standards!)". Businesses "off-the-beaten/proven-path" have very little chance succeeding (and doing business "on-the-beaten-path" the competition is mostly so intense that no one makes any money at all)... Anyway, very unlikely that anyone will reward you for "fanciness", neither the locals nor the "Farangs".

1.b. Extending on the above, don't even think of starting "anything digital" (you mentioned a website?). Thai's have absolutely no appreciation for any of that. An iPhone/Samsung is there to feed Facebook and that's the end of the use of IT in Thailand. Websites are regarded a waste of money, no one looks at it, emails are not used by most normal "thai business people". Thailand is a truly "special place" regarding IT, Just forget it........ !!

2. Do not get carried away with "ambition", "gut feeling" or "passion for whatever you wonna do" (as good as it is to have all this passion, of course)... RUN THE NUMBERS, at least do a basic business plan, based on a REALISTIC scenario, with SPARE CASH in reserve if things don't go to plan... Be tough to yourself, play devils advocate, don't dream...

3. What is not cheap has in most cases close to no chance to succeed (again, unless you have an almost genius like proposition ... see above)

4. The minute (I should say "the second") someone really manages to find one of these rare gaps others simply forgot to do successful business in you can be certain you have half Thailand snapping at your heels either copying you or "pulling some red tape..."

5. Even Farangs with very deep pockets got VERY bloody noses here

6. I could go on and on and on...

Summary:

- Thailand is a country where money is best spent, if you like it here, don't believe you can earn ANY living here until THE NUMBERS IN YOUR BUSINESS PLAN CONVINCE YOU !

- Thailand is a "tough place" to earn a living (most Farangs can hardly pay the rent, car, credit cards, children school fees easily, let alone pension...for most its all about "juggling the impossible stuck on 50k THB or so")

- in terms of career development Thailand is a death trap (unless you are posted here through a multinational with the good perspective of "going back after 1 or 2 yrs)

- have some "independent pair of (trustworthy/experienced) eyes to go over your business plan to make sure it's not just a "sugar coated spreadsheet"

- Make sure you have all the necessary paperwork in place here before "someone comes knocking on your door with an open hand..."

Sorry, if that sounds not too promising, I just want to warn not being too naive, risking to send with all good intentions a lot of money (and time) down the drain, MANY did that before...

Still, I hope I am wrong and you succeed and wish you the best !!!! wink.png

Well said couldn't agree more its always interesting to also do some research to see how some places business, shops smaller start ups etc.. are run that are foreign or in partnership normally the thai partner. I feel that mostly they are in part subsidized operations by the falang basically maybe just running at cost on the back burner of the foreigners savings. any extra is just a blessing. I've meet many its like hobby farming with a younger wife in the city. Smoke and Mirrors a lot of it even the simpler operations that appear cost effective.