Define 'Thainess'

DekDaeng

NongKhaiKid on another thread posted "Thais overseas please don't protest as all you will do is give Barbie an excuse to visit even more countries so she can explain the ' truth ' and how Thainess works."

So your homework for the weekend is;

Define 'Thainess'

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Define Thainess" - Understand a woman's thinking.

Both will give you a headache.

I try and not trouble myself with such worldly matters.

I need the full concentration of my grey cells on more important matters.

Such as how is my Football Team travelling?

Thainess Cocktail: coffee1.gif

1 part essence of Zen

1 part brown chunk of Fascism

1 part Yaba

Tut, tut ...

Just a thought ... "7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation."

JT ... you, of all folks should know better then that ... w00t.gif

1 part essence of Zen

1 part Yaba

Tut, tut ...

Rather than playing mod wannabe, why not tell me how that cocktail recipe is off base ...

not to many zen practitioners in thailand

• Like 1

Jingthing .. to refer to the essence of Thainess, thus Thais as 'part Fascist's'

Really? You do know the history of Pad Thai, don't you? Of course, elements of fascism run strong in Thai culture. Any objective student of modern Thai culture understands that.

Edited by Jingthing

1 part essence of Zen

1 part Yaba

Tut, tut ...

Rather than playing mod wannabe, why not tell me how that cocktail recipe is off base ...

It's off base. Think again.

Please don't ask me to do that. Thainess style Thais are always telling me I think 'too mutt' already! It was just a cute cocktail recipe concept, OK? I'm not writing a thesis.

1 part essence of Zen

1 part Yaba

Tut, tut ...

Often chefs add a touch of misplaced male ego, which can often make the recipe taste even worse, if it isn't rectified with a dash of stunning femininity.

Best consumed on a faded plastic chair, with an aluminium ice bucket, scratched glasses, a bottle of red label with soda and a splosh of coke, under a hue of pink and ultra violet neon.

That is thainess.

Classic comment by the way. I think it's largely spot on.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Jingthing .. to refer to the essence of Thainess, thus Thais as 'part Fascist's'

Really? You do know the history of Pad Thai, don't you? Of course, elements of fascism runs strong in Thai culture. Any objective student of modern Thai culture understands that.

JT ... you seriously should write for the Daily Mail.

From your edited quote of mine ... I seriously have no idea what you are trying to represent.

If it doesn't take too much time .. please redefine for me ... and I'm sure others reading these posts.

Pad Thai ... blink.png

Really? You do know the history of Pad Thai, don't you? Of course, elements of fascism runs strong in Thai culture. Any objective student of modern Thai culture understands that.

JT ... you seriously should write for the Daily Mail.

From your edited quote of mine ... I seriously have no idea what you are trying to represent.

If it doesn't take too much time .. please redefine for me ... and I'm sure others reading these posts.

Pad Thai ... blink.png

Simples. I was limiting my reply there to your assertion that there wasn't any arguable validity to adding the Fascism part to the Thainess cocktail. In my opinion, there is, and I sincerely think most serious scholars of Thai modern history would likely agree. You're free to disagree.

If you don't know the history of Pad Thai, the national dish of Thailand in a food obsessed country, that's not my fault.

The yaba part was also rather symbolic, rather than to be taken LITERALLY. Obviously, not all Thais are on yaba. Use your imagination is what I would suggest.

Edited by Jingthing

JT ... the edit changed my reply ...

I'd given you a compliment ... facepalm.gif

Lets move on and not make this about you and me ...

I actually like you ... biggrin.png

The Forum would be a lesser place with out you and your unique insight.

Edited by David48

I define it as a make believe word, which tries to tell foreigners to assimilate into the Thai society.

That's interesting. I see the dominant feeling differently. RESPECT Thainess (whatever it is), SUBMIT to Thainess, and part of understanding Thainess is knowing foreigners, especially white ones, will NEVER be Thai. Assimilation would imply a WELCOME to become Thai. I feel the opposite here mostly.

(Note, personally, I'm not complaining about that. I have no desire to be a Thai.)

It may be a make believe word but I think in Thailand, it is a real word.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I Believe that definition is more about American-ess, use your imagination to know what I mean, Whatever Thainess may mean it is a term used by those that reject it and will never consider submitting to it.

I have no desire to be Gay, but should I post about that, simply because I do not identify in any way with it, I think not!

Cheers: