Fragrant flowers, shrubs, bushes, hedges to attract butterflies

simon43

Firstly, I should emphasize that I hardly know the roots from the flowers on a plant, so please keep your advice simple :)

I'm building another mini-hotel in Phuket, situated in the shade of some rubber trees.

I want to plant fragrant plants to both attract butterflies and also to mask the smell of the rubber, which for a short time in the evening is a little 'smelly'.

Any suggestions for what to plant? If you know the common or Thai name for the plant, that'll make it much easier for me to ask at my local garden centre.

Thanks

Simon

The plumeria (common name frangipani) is a tree with nice smelling flowers, especially after sunset. Jasmine and rangoon creeper (aka Chinese honeysuckle) are also fragrant.

Flame of the woods (aka jungle flame) is a shrub with flowers which comes in all shades of color. It doesn't smell, but it will attract a lot of butterflies.

• 3 weeks later...

Simon, You've had some good suggestions and 'heads up' points of view.

I suggest that you hire a professional, landscape architect/designer or at least someone who knows local plants and conditions, compatibility and cultural requirements, to help you select plantings that fulfill the functions that you want to achieve. Someone with training and experience can help you create the best growing conditions by considering all the factors, plant selection, irrigation, drainage, soil fertility, etc.

Many significantly flowering plants require full sun to bloom profusely and provide the scent you require, some do better in partial shade, only a few species will thrive or even survive in the full shade and established root systems of mature rubber trees. One or two functions, butterflies or fragrance, is not enough to know all you need to know to put it together to create an enduring and satisfying environment for yourself and your guests. A well designed plan is first, a good maintenance program is essential.

I diagnose and treat plant problems and a large percent of the issues that I see are related to poor planning with uninformed plant selection, poor choices for compatibility and cultural requirements. If you hardly know the roots from the flowers, please get professional help. You'll be glad you did, and so will your guests.

Please post what you learn and photos of the finished garden. don

• 3 months later...

Simon

This is way off topic regarding your query on ''Fragrant Flowers'',

Glad that business is good and that you are building another ''Mini Hotel'' beside the airport... , nice to read something positive about ''Buisness and Phuket'' and nice to hear that you are taking an interest in the Gardens for your new project..

All good news.. eh..

Cheers

Robert

• 1 month later...

The plumeria (common name frangipani) is a tree with nice smelling flowers, especially after sunset. Jasmine and rangoon creeper (aka Chinese honeysuckle) are also fragrant.

Flame of the woods (aka jungle flame) is a shrub with flowers which comes in all shades of color. It doesn't smell, but it will attract a lot of butterflies.

Would these survive well in Isaan?