Should my wife open a Greek restaurant in Hua Hin?

PeterHuaHin2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Pattaya now supports two dedicated Greek restaurants (one full menu, one casual menu) and also multiple dedicated Turkish restaurants (at least three, similar food as Greek) so based on that alone it's obviously possible to sell this style of food at a beach resort in Thailand. The details matter of course, the menu choices tailored to the market, location, food quality, capitalization level (expecting quick profits the first year isn't realistic), and price. That said, I think you have to be a little bit crazy and masochistic to open a restaurant of any kind anywhere ...

Edited by Jingthing

• 4 weeks later...

There are plenty of gyro/doner carts in Pattaya and adding feta salad would be easy with a small fridge/cooler built into the cart. In my opinion that's what would work. Low start-up and overhead, mobile to move easily to busy areas, cheap and quick food. Expensive lamb is unnecessary, souvlaki etc is 95% pork in Greece anyway.

Most important, who is the clientele?

As said, Thais don't like it so Thai food must also be offered otherwise Thai women will steer their partners elsewhere.

Lots of people here saying how much they love Greek grub. I love it too...in Greece, less so elsewhere. It's fairly heavy food which ain't great in the tropics.

What's the customer base? Are there enough expats willing to eat it more than once a week or two? Tourist season is short so expat business is key. But I don't think it is as appealing to most falangs as Italian or American (burgers, ribs, pizza) or Brit pub grub.

Frankly, I think it's a non-starter as a full-on resto. Maybe ok as a cart.

That's what I came on to post.