Computer case is 'live' from 2 pin sockets. What to do?

makecoldplayhistory

My (landlord's) house has only 2-pin sockets and, with my shipping arriving yesterday, I've discovered that the computer case and all peripherals including the metal keyboard give me a mild shock when I touch them.

Is it possible to have the single outlet earthed / swapped for a 3 pin socket with an earth? Is it an easy / cheap job? I wouldn't do it myself.

Are there any other solutions? Is it a common problem? I live in Kok Kaew (near Boat Lagoon).

Thanks a lot,

Mike

Won't help much as there are two capacitors in the inlet filter from live to ground and neutral to ground. This will cause the ground to be at 1/2 mains (110V) albeit at a very low current. Really need a ground (or plastic case) to get rid of it.

Won't help much as there are two capacitors in the inlet filter from live to ground and neutral to ground. This will cause the ground to be at 1/2 mains (110V) albeit at a very low current. Really need a ground (or plastic case) to get rid of it.

Yes there are capacitors in the filter but they do not act as you say.

Run a wire from metal part of your case to some part of the metal framework of your house, or to a metal rod pounded in the ground.

Not optimal, but should draw off the annoying shocks.

Buying a a 3 prong socket is doable as well, but you still need to run an earth wire somewhere from the socket.

Thanks for the replies.

As my computer's within metres of a sliding door to the garden, it's probably easier for me to earth the machine directly than earth the socket. Luckily, I can do that with my tools (a hammer, a bigger hammer, a 900w hand drill and a big screwdriver*)

I've tried rotating the plug 180 deg having googled before posting here but it didn't make a difference.

Thanks again

*I'm not too DIY-ey.

I had the same problem. I added a three prong plug and soldered a copper wire to it, ran that out the window, soldered that to the end of a 1.5m copper spike which I drove into the soil. The copper spike designed just for this purpose can be purchased at hardware stores in Thailand. They are used for lightning protection too.

mdnSQIorroEAy9plPaDRgAw.jpg