Last Time You Visited Khao Phra Vihearn From Thai Side

Ystradyfodwg

With Khao Phra Vihearn being in the news again today I was wondering when was the last time anyone visited the temple from the Thai side Kantaralak/Sri Saket etc?I first went in 2003 and visited the temple a couple of times a year when staying in Khunhan up until my last visit in September 2009 when I was turned back by the Thai military at a roadblock.Would be interested to hear of anyone who has visited the area recently but only from the Thai side.Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Edited by metisdead
Please do not post using all caps. Topic title edited to remove all caps.
  • Like 1

I don't think you'll get much response from 'recent' vistors. Thai soldiers tend not to post on Thaivisa.com. Posted Image

Lots of visitors get to Khao Phra Viearn from the Cambodian side.I just wanted to know if anybody has made the journey from the Thai side recently?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Santisuk's response was sensible. It has been closed from the Thai side for the last few years at least. You can only get as close as Mor E Dang cliff (****Thai language edited out****) where you can see the temply in the distance.

http://www.memock.com/2013/01/27/a-short-thai-road-trip-to-mor-e-dang-cliff- ****Thai language edited out****

Edited by metisdead
Thai language edited out of post. This is an English language forum, English is the only acceptable language, except in the Thai language forum where Thai language is allowed.

I visited Phra Vihearn April 2008 a few latter later the shyt hit the fan and has mot been accessible from the Thai side sense. I have a red T-shirt that says Phra Vihearn Cambodia over 5 years old that I bought at the Cambodian market there. Its starting to show its age,I need a new one

I visited Phra Vihearn April 2008 a few latter later the shyt hit the fan and has mot been accessible from the Thai side sense. I have a red T-shirt that says Phra Vihearn Cambodia over 5 years old that I bought at the Cambodian market there. Its starting to show its age,I need a new one

The temple has been closed from the Thai side sense October 2008. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preah_Vihear_Temple

• Like 1

Santisuk's response was sensible. It has been closed from the Thai side for the last few years at least. You can only get as close as Mor E Dang cliff (****Thai language edited out****) where you can see the temply in the distance.

http://www.memock.com/2013/01/27/a-short-thai-road-trip-to-mor-e-dang-cliff- ****Thai language edited out****

Yes - sorry if my response came across as rude. From your posting I assumed that you realised that it had been closed since you visit the area twice a year and had been turned back in 2009. Based on that false premise I found the request strange, which caused me to tweak yer tail!

• Like 1

Surprised you can still get in it............................ judging by the photo at RR I am not sure you can smile.png

2007 was my last visit. A wonderful place (and views) - i hope I can soon visit again.

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 1

We went to the cliff tops last April . We were intending to go to the temple itself but took the wrong road that took us to the cliff top and we could only see the temple in the distance. Most of the soldiers seemed to be bored shitless there except one soldier who followed me taking photos of me with a SLR camera as if i was a cambodian spy. Felt a bit paranoid with him . We also spent a fair bit of time talking to another soldier who could speak English and wanted to practice English . The other visitors to the cliff top were mainly Thai families there on that day .

• Like 1

We went to the cliff tops last April . We were intending to go to the temple itself but took the wrong road that took us to the cliff top and we could only see the temple in the distance. Most of the soldiers seemed to be bored shitless there except one soldier who followed me taking photos of me with a SLR camera as if i was a cambodian spy. Felt a bit paranoid with him . We also spent a fair bit of time talking to another soldier who could speak English and wanted to practice English . The other visitors to the cliff top were mainly Thai families there on that day .

Not a wrong turn xen, there is only one road in. You just stopped at the car park where Mor e Daneg is. That is as far as you are allowed to go (when things are quiet) as you cannot get to the actual temple itself.

• Like 1

went there early September and could only view the temple at the distance.

Not allowed to take photos up at the edge of the of the military post, but if you drop a few baht in the donation box you'll be invited to snap your pictures.

The Cliff tops were still great and the coolest place with a lovely breeze that I found nowhere else.

One tout was renting binoculars but there were adjustable and a refund had to be sought.

A very short man was offering photos, taken and printed. this was a great service has we had family with us that we wanted to give some photos to.

As for getting through to Cambodia, we were told by thai military no Thai can cross but maybe farang could try, as Cambodia may be willing to accept.

I didn't try as with Laos border its cost prohibitive just for the exercise.

I would like to use this crossing for a trip to Siam rep but maybe the one at surin/ sisaket will be better roads,

• Like 1

went there early September and could only view the temple at the distance.

Not allowed to take photos up at the edge of the of the military post, but if you drop a few baht in the donation box you'll be invited to snap your pictures.

The Cliff tops were still great and the coolest place with a lovely breeze that I found nowhere else.

One tout was renting binoculars but there were adjustable and a refund had to be sought.

A very short man was offering photos, taken and printed. this was a great service has we had family with us that we wanted to give some photos to.

As for getting through to Cambodia, we were told by thai military no Thai can cross but maybe farang could try, as Cambodia may be willing to accept.

I didn't try as with Laos border its cost prohibitive just for the exercise.

I would like to use this crossing for a trip to Siam rep but maybe the one at surin/ sisaket will be better roads,

You CANNOTt cross the border for heading to Siam Reap! There are - and has never been an immigration border crossing here, and as said in earlier posts, for visiting Khao Phra Viharn, the border has been closed for more than 5 years!!! coffee1.gif

If you want to go to Siem Reap from SE Isaan then look at the topic "Choam Sa Ngam/ Chom Jom" on the Isaan threads recently. I've contributed quite a bit of advice about getting to Siem Reap from this part of the world - google "santisuk siem reap thaivisa"

• Like 2

If you want to go to Siem Reap from SE Isaan then look at the topic "Choam Sa Ngam/ Chom Jom" on the Isaan threads recently. I've contributed quite a bit of advice about getting to Siem Reap from this part of the world - google "santisuk siem reap thaivisa"

Not.. Chong Chom is a lot better..whistling.gif

Not what Kwaibah?

I covered both borders in my various postings, even going so far as to say that Chom Jom had advantages for many travellers. P'raps if you think your local border is so relatively great for getting to Siem Reap you could give us a clue why smile.png. Maybe even travel advice of getting to SR from CJ and getting to CJ from Surin?