Thailand will not withdraw its troops from Preah Vihear temple just yet

webfact

No troop withdrawal yet

206448-imagepng-312080-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand will not withdraw troops from the area of the Preah VIhear temple as demanded by Cambodian Premier Hun Sen during his press interview yesterday.

Defense Ministry spokesman Col Thanatip Sawangsaeng said Thailand will not pull its troops out of the area of the Preah Vihear as demanded by the Cambodian premier when he reiterated the ruling of the International Court of Justice yesterday calling for Thai troops to be withdrawn from the area.

The spokesman said that any withdrawal of troops would depend on a discussion at the meeting of the joint cooperation committee of both countries.

He said that the Armed Forces regarded security and safety of the people at the area before any action was taken.

At the same time, the Second Army Region commander Lt-Gen CHarnchai Phuthong said the border situation remained peaceful and troops are still staying at their bases.

He said that the Second Army now would have the duty to explain to the border people on the ruling and to ensure their safety.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/troop-withdrawal-yet/

-- Thai PBS 2013-11-12

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i understand troops being there until the mad nationalists are kept away...then leave at night so no-one can see you skulking away with your tail between your legs...great country.but they dont make it easy on themselves.......bless.....

Thaksin gave Preah Vihear to Sen as part of a deal for oil and gas concessions in the gulf that personally profited them both.

I accept this as fact but now we see see both the fearless leader and Sondhi with the same opinion... Is orange the next colour of political despotism?

There has just been an international ruling that says the Thais are now on an others sovereign territory. It does not seem up for negotiation, there is no choice, pack up, leave and retain at least a little dignity. Yingluck is obviously scared of the nationalist backlash when the TV media show Thai troops withdrawing from the border with their tails between their legs. Catch 22 created by you know who.

Does everybody think Yingluck made that decision as Minister of Defence. With her in that position, Thaksin also has direct control of the Military. Pity he will be Billy no mates soon.

Edited by GentlemanJim

Thaksin gave Preah Vihear to Sen as part of a deal for oil and gas concessions in the gulf that personally profited them both.

I'm not disputing your statement, because I just don't know.

Got anything to back it up? Being in the oil biz, I'm curious about things like that.

• Like 2

In 1962 the IJC adjudged that the temple belonged to Cambodia. That was 51 years ago, why should they be in a hurry to pull out now? Sounds like the same children that are playing games in Parliament with the amnesty bill.

Edited by wayned

I remember a big fuss being made when Abhisit decided not to immediately withdraw troops in 2011.

Did the ICJ state a timeline for the Thai troop withdrawal? The other newspaper quotes an unnamed military source that Thai troops will withdraw in the "next year or so"

Nothing to see here.

Yingluck / Thaksin are probably too preoccupied with the amnesty bill to consider (for maximum political gain) giving the order to the General commanding the 2nd Army at the moment. Until he gets an order to do otherwise he will stay exactly where he is. His Cambodian opposite number will understand and no doubt, so does Hun Sen.

The Cambodians reiterated the call to withdraw forces as per form after the ruling, but they don't seem to be seriously making a fuss about it.

Move along . . .

Edited by Trembly

shock1.gif

Taksin most definitely did not "give" Preah Vihear to HunSen.

Preah Vihear has always belonged to Cambodia and a ruling in 1962 by the ICJ confirmed this.

Taksin and Hun Sen had worked out a deal regarding temple management based on the fact that Cambodia owned the temple but Thailand owned the easiest access to it. As bad as these two characters are (very bad IMO) the concept was reasonable and a win win. However the agreement -- as well as the plan to share oil revenues -- was immediately scrapped after the coup, and remains scrapped.

This court case had nothing to do with ownership of the temple. It was about a small scrap of land around the temple which no one lives on and which has no utility other than for access to the temple from Thailand and potentially development as part of attractions at the temple. Even if Thailand had totally won the ruling (they did in fact win about 75% of it), doesn't do them an iota of good. This is all political smoke and mirros.

I wouldn't say "always belonged to Cambodia". It was in Thailand for a few centuries. A 1904 treaty also put it in Thailand. The maps that were later attached to that treaty put it in Cambodia. In 1962, the ICJ decided that Thailand "accepted" the maps. The ICJ just confirmed that ruling.

Actually the ICJ ruling only called for withdrawal of Thai troops from the temple promontory, not the entire surrounding area.

It is not clear to me that there are currently any Thai troops on the promontory itself but I suspect not.

Nothing to stop Thailand from keeping troops on the land below the promontory. As it is a border area in the normal course of things there would be at least some military presence.

I would imagine the troops from both sides will be there for some time yet, as they have to prepare the area for Tourism and any other religious functions that will take place there. By preparing the area, I mean remove all barriers, barbed and razor wire, land mines and claymore mines, booby traps etc. They are there as troops from both sides have been killed by the mines that were laid by both Armies'.

• Like 1