Passport as a deposit for a motorcycle

Another good reason not to leave your passport at the rental shop. The following is regarding the phantom passenger on the missing Malaysian plane;

"Mr Maraldi said he arrived on Phuket on March 1 and was planning to leave on March 15. On a holiday last year, he said, he lost his passport in a deal that went wrong at a Patong motorcycle rent shop.

The woman who ran the shop told Mr Maraldi that she had given his passport to an Italian man who 'said Mr Maraldi was his husband. "

• Like 1

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The passport for rental should be left at the local police stations

Maybe another service that could offer with police box service

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I don't understand what part of 'it is illegal to use a passport as a guarantee' people do not get.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The passport for rental should be left at the local police stations
Maybe another service that could offer with police box service

I don't understand what part of 'it is illegal to use a passport as a guarantee' people do not get.

It is a choice which is risky but if you want a bike and don't have a cask deposit which is equal to the value of the bike then it is up to the person.

I don't know if some companies can do that credit card swiping option like in hotels or in budget and avis where they take the value of 50 k off your card but refund it when you return.

That way any damages you can just cut straight away.

Bikes are more of a problem than cars as insurance is impossible to get.

So it is either a cash deposit

Stay with the same company that has been open for years and has had the same staff and that you have been using.

or leave an asset equal or more than the value of the car.

Me i only rent bike to people that stay in my properties as i have their damage deposit as a deposit plus they cannot run because they have to go home.

another way to win customers trust would be to have their passport in a safety box with the safety box number on the contract and can show the customer the passport being placed in there.

If want to go over board can have a cctv camera on the lockers.

I understand customers not wanting to leave passports and understand the renters demanding it.

needs to be a solution which protects everyone.

Paying the police to take care of them is just an example. At least if the person does do something wrong or runs away then the police already have the passport information to do what ever they have to do

or if they have crash then they can check the rental number on the bike and the plate number and might already have the leases details

doubt that system shall go ahead but open to more suggestions.

lol

another suggestion is to buy a gold bar and leave that as a deposit. If the bike is stolen or completely fe00000ed then can go cash in the gold ( THAI GOLD ) lol

Edited by BigC

If i receive a court summons and the letter is written in Thai does this still mean i am considered served even if i receive it and open it but have not a clue what it says???

Well you might have the same problem if you had written it! laugh.png...... (well some of your posts!) tongue.png

If i receive a court summons and the letter is written in Thai does this still mean i am considered served even if i receive it and open it but have not a clue what it says???

Is this meant to be arrested on Samui? We are getting our threads crossed here.whistling.gif

• Like 1

The tray full of "ready to pick up" passports at Samui Immigration Office always looks like a dodgy invitation to anyone walking in off the street who fancies one !

Bloody ridiculous !

Edited by nod
  • Like 1

The tray full of "ready to pick up" passports at Samui Immigration Office always looks like a dodgy invitation to anyone walking in off the street who fancies one !

Bloody ridiculous !

They call your number now, if not there back in the FREE pick up tray. Great security.

• Like 1

You can get insurance for motorbikes, it's just not worth it because they won't pay out if the rider doesn't have a license, and most don't. So companies don't bother with insurance and instead take it upon themselves to enforce damage/theft costs on the customer. The only other option is to not rent bikes to people with no motorbike license, which is 99% of their customer base.

• Like 2

You can get insurance for motorbikes, it's just not worth it because they won't pay out if the rider doesn't have a license, and most don't. So companies don't bother with insurance and instead take it upon themselves to enforce damage/theft costs on the customer. The only other option is to not rent bikes to people with no motorbike license, which is 99% of their customer base.

Companies should be liable for at least 50% of damage/medical bills inflicted upon 3rd parties by unlicensed riders; 100% if riders die or get away.

Edited by evadgib

Another good reason not to leave your passport at the rental shop. The following is regarding the phantom passenger on the missing Malaysian plane;

"Mr Maraldi said he arrived on Phuket on March 1 and was planning to leave on March 15. On a holiday last year, he said, he lost his passport in a deal that went wrong at a Patong motorcycle rent shop.

The woman who ran the shop told Mr Maraldi that she had given his passport to an Italian man who 'said Mr Maraldi was his husband. "

Predictable reaction:

http://www.samuitimes.com/phuket-immigration-head-warns-stricter-monitoring-passports/

Predictable reaction:

http://www.samuitimes.com/phuket-immigration-head-warns-stricter-monitoring-passports/

It has been running in our news section & good reads for days.

Companies should be liable for at least 50% of damage/medical bills inflicted upon 3rd parties by unlicensed riders; 100% if riders die or get away.

Why?

Does this also extend to people who sell bikes to those with no license? Because only about 10% of riders in the entire country actually have licenses.

Yes got a cross thread

Is this meant to be arrested on Samui? We are getting our threads crossed here.whistling.gif