7-year-old deported to Thailand after losing immigration battle in Denmark

webfact

7-year-old deported after losing immigration battle

dk.jpg

The Copenhagen Post: Im Nielsen only speaks Danish but was deported to Thailand with her mother after the Immigration Service argued her stepfather’s death severed their ties to Denmark

BANGKOK: -- Seven-year-old Im Nielsen and her mother, Suthida Nielsen, flew to Thailand yesterday after Hjørring City Court upheld the Immigration Service’s decision to deport them following the death of Suthida’s Danish husband (Im’s stepfather).

Im has lived half her life in Denmark, speaks only Danish, and is enrolled in first grade at Aabybro Skole, but the Immigration Service found that she and her mother’s ties to Thailand were stronger than their ties to Denmark.

The immigration appeals council Udlændingenævnet and Hjørring City Court both agreed that the pair no longer had a valid reason to remain in the country after Im’s stepfather died of cancer.

Im wants to stay
In the airport on their way out of the country, TV2 News interviewed Im about the circumstances of her departure.

“We have to go to Thailand because my father is dead,” Im told TV2 News, adding that she would miss her school and wanted to stay near her grandparents and cousins.

“I don’t have any friends [in Thailand] and I am a bit nervous about going to school and having a hard time,” the seven-year-old said.

Justice Ministry investigating rule change
In a statement to Berlingske, Justice Minister Morten Bødskov (S) said that while the case was tragic, he was unable to intervene in individual cases.

He added that the case had been properly dealt with, after first being assessed by the Immigration Service, subsequently ruled upon by Udlændingenævnet and the Hjørring City Court.

“What I can do is ensure that the rules are fair and therefore, in light of the case, I have asked my civil servants to look at how we in the future can ensure that people who have come to Denmark using family reunification, and have tried to integrate even though they have not been in the country long, don’t lose their residency after the death of their partner,” Bødskov said.

TV2′s interview with Im Nielsen can be seen here. Source: The Copenhagen Post

Source: http://scandasia.com/7-year-old-deported-losing-immigration-battle-2/

-- ScandAsia 2013-11-12

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone from Denmark know if the story is true and complete?

In some other not Thailand related cases in Europe, things were often different than they were in the newspaper. (for example criminal charges were not mentioned).

If it is like it seems here, than it is a shame!

No, the Denmark I love is above that. It is, was a compassionate place

Yes, Thailand can be a pain...but why does Denmark....of ALL places, have to be so mean-spirited? Denmark? Wow...

sorry for that kid but rules are rules , we have the same rules in Thailand when you are foreigners ... even worse , after so many years here working you still need to renew the visa every year ...

Thailand is worse so maybe if Thailand treat foreigners better then maybe other countries would aswell..

Yes, but fortunately many other countries have higher standards. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

So if you married a Thai woman and had a child with her and lived in Thailand and then she died, would you be allowed to stay?

Dead or alive; if you haven't got the cash, its goodbye!

• Like 1

It would be nice if the first consideration was for the child.

Personally I disagree with the Danish government's standpoint but the Thai authorities would do exactly the same if the roles were reversed.

Two wrongs don't make a right though.

No they wouldn't

• Like 2

"This above all: to thine own self be true"

Personally I disagree with the Danish government's standpoint but the Thai authorities would do exactly the same if the roles were reversed.

A day for Denmark to be ashamed of!!bah.gif

The same country that don't expell Muslim rapists for "humanitarian reasons"

Another sad case, where bureaucrats are playing their stupid game, not caring about the people involved!!

While I fully agree with your first and final sentence (I am completely at a loss to understand why this child and her mother are being deported) I do find your second sentence somewhat out of context.

No they wouldn't

The right wouldn't be automatic, but one could stay on the basis of providing for a dependent child. Why didn't some quick witted person give her a job, so that at least she wouldn't have been a ward of the state? Or does Denmark bar her from working also? It's not right, that the law is in this position, and whilst people might claim, but people would deliberately try to get around it, at the end of the day, immigration issues are normally dependent on a case by case basis.

As such, these rules are far too hard and fast, because the needs of the child are not being held paramount here, which in a civilised society should be the starting point of the disussion.

• Like 2

sorry for that kid but rules are rules , we have the same rules in Thailand when you are foreigners ... even worse , after so many years here working you still need to renew the visa every year ...

That's true....BUT if you were in the same situation as this YOU could STILL stay here in Thailand using the child as your dependent to acquire the visa. You would NOT be deported after various trials to a country that your child may barely know.

You would if the child was not Thai. The child in the OP is 100% Thai, and 0% Danish.

Don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for the mum and child, and wish they could stay in Denmark, but the Thai rules are even worse - perhaps Thai officials reading this story, if any, should take a long hard look at themselves!

So if you married a Thai woman and had a child with her and lived in Thailand and then she died, would you be allowed to stay?

Yes, as the father of a Thai child.

However this isn't the case with the subject as she's a step-child :(

• Like 1

No they wouldn't

So if a Danish man has a child in Denmark with his Thai wife, three years later they move to Thailand and three years after that she dies he and the child would still be allowed to stay in Thailand?

Edited by bigbamboo

Yes, but for THIS real child, Denmark is her home, Danish is her primary language. This is simply shameful in every respect. A disgrace.

I agree completely, and as far as I understand from danish news, Danish is not just the girls primary language, it is her only language - and both mom and child are well integrated, and unlike most immigrants they are not a burden to Denmark.

I am simply arguing that the thai rules are even worse, so if any thais, especially thai politicians and officials think Denmark is wrong here, which I agree with, then perhaps they should clean in front of their own door first.