Passport Renewal Query?

Last week I went to the UK Embassy in Bangkok to renew my passport. My old one was due to run out on Nov. 14th. 2006. and I wanted to get my new one before I needed to do my next 90 day report. I also thought I needed to have 6 months on the passport and not wait until the old one ran out. The UK passport website explains that they will give you credit in whole months for any time not used up on your old passport.

I have just received my new PP in the post but it is dated to start from April 26th. 2006 - the day after I applied for new one until April 26th. 2016. I was expecting this date to be Nov. 14th. 2016 to take into account the time I was giving up in the old PP.

I have just phoned the UK Embassy and explained the problem, only to be told that they only issue PPs for 10 years and that they cannot credit any lost time. Is this correct or have they made a mistake? Is it worth persuing this or do I let it go? Is my PP valid or the fact they should have added on 6/7 months going to prove a problem later?

I include part of the UK Passport website, hope the attachment works!

post-13984-1146643753_thumb.jpg

Last week I went to the UK Embassy in Bangkok to renew my passport. My old one was due to run out on Nov. 14th. 2006. and I wanted to get my new one before I needed to do my next 90 day report. I also thought I needed to have 6 months on the passport and not wait until the old one ran out. The UK passport website explains that they will give you credit in whole months for any time not used up on your old passport.

I have just received my new PP in the post but it is dated to start from April 26th. 2006 - the day after I applied for new one until April 26th. 2016. I was expecting this date to be Nov. 14th. 2016 to take into account the time I was giving up in the old PP.

I have just phoned the UK Embassy and explained the problem, only to be told that they only issue PPs for 10 years and that they cannot credit any lost time. Is this correct or have they made a mistake? Is it worth persuing this or do I let it go? Is my PP valid or the fact they should have added on 6/7 months going to prove a problem later?

I include part of the UK Passport website, hope the attachment works!

Bonjour Monsieur,

I think that if you were in UK and had applied to the UK PA for your new passport then you would have been credited for the 7 months. As you got your passport in Bangkok I think different rules apply ( don't think it mentions credit for unused time on the UK Embassy BKK website)

Be happy Monsieur... You're one of the few elite who can get 10 year passports!!!

Us mere European mortals who don't have UK nationality get only 5 years at a time.

I happen to be from Belgium, and the best we can get is a 5 year passport with 64 pages... This privilege costs us a whopping 240 Euros...( yes, a cool 11500 Baht)

I was at the embassy at the same time as you and I just got my new passport with the same dates and my old passport was not due untill 2011 but it was full. It is correct that you will not get anymore than 10 years at the embassy its only if you went to the ukpa that you would get more.

Pardon my ignorance.....

Are you saying that when you fill up your visa pages you must apply for another passport?

When I run out of visa pages, the US Embassy just adds an ammendment of another 26 pages. When this is filled up you go back and get another ammendment. Unlimited...... and a free service outside the USA.

When I run out of visa pages, the US Embassy just adds an ammendment of another 26 pages. When this is filled up you go back and get another ammendment. Unlimited...... and a free service outside the USA.
I believe that most countries issuing the new, biometric passport no longer allow the addition of pages.

Incidentally, the USA requires the biometric passport for nationals of all countries, except US nationals, entering the USA starting October of this year, but because it will take some time for all countries to change to the biometric passport the USA graciously allows non-biometric but machine-readable passports issued before October 2006 to be used for some more time.

---------------

Maestro