Honey on the street or honey in the shop-which is the better quality?

Asiantravel

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy direct from the honey farm if you can, we do and the large bottles are 120b...bargain compared to what some seem to be paying for it here...500b crikey.

Buying direct from the honey farm would be the best option all the way around ..... as life-long city dweller who now lives in a semi-rural locale, could you give me some tips to help me about locate 'honey farms' in the Thai countryside?

Buy direct from the honey farm if you can, we do and the large bottles are 120b...bargain compared to what some seem to be paying for it here...500b crikey.

Buying direct from the honey farm would be the best option all the way around ..... as life-long city dweller who now lives in a semi-rural locale, could you give me some tips to help me about locate 'honey farms' in the Thai countryside?

Where do you live, if near me I can advise, if not...sorry

That has to be the most misleading headline I have ever read clap2.gif

.... Not to those of us who also like our honey raw and wild!

I know we are in LOS but sometimes we do think with our stomachs ..... whistling.gif

Edited by Ahnsahn

I bought honey at a market. 100b for 750 ml. after 3 weeks it went off. Honey does not go off! God knows what I was sold!

Correct, normal honey has a low water content and is hydrophyllic. It absorbs water. It sucks the water out of bacteria or fungus which kills them. That is why you need to add a certain amount of water to honey to make it ferment if you like to drink mead. Which also means you don't need to worry too much about the odd dead insect in the honey. It is also a good treatment for small wounds.

When I was in northern China, I found the honey to be watered down and very bad tasting. No discernable honey.

Light colored honey is preferred in Canada but darker honey is the favorite in Texas.

The worlds best honey comes from The Hadramat in south east Yemen. 19 years ago it cost $20 US a pound and it was worth every cent,

I trust any honey with the right consistency but taste is always the final proof. If you don't think it tasted like honey, it is not honey.

• Like 2

I get the odd bottle of jungle honey on Samui which I put aside to use as a gift or bargaining chip. How do I know it's real honey? I taste it before I buy. People around me know I'm always in the market for it so sellers get sent my way otherwise I doubt I would even get a sniff at buying it. Gave a 70cl bottle to the landlady some three years ago and she's never put my rent up. You see the odd thread come up about what to take to a birthday or first meeting with the in-laws which usually results in bottle of JW, flowers, gold etc. etc. Take a bottle of jungle honey and give it to your future mother in law and she will love you forever.

Me.... If it wasn't illegal I would use it to make mead.

• Like 1