Fixed Deposit Account on Marriage Extension

Hello Friends

I am currently on an o-visa and will be applying for my first extension based on marriage in the next week or so as my visa runs out November 29, 2013.

The 400,000 bht. has been in the bank since early Sept.

I have read on TV you can have your money in a Fixed Account when applying for an extension based on retirement.

Can you do the same for a extension based on marriage ?

This is something i would like to do for next years extension,if allowed.

S.B.

Thanks for the replies so far

We have dividends from Investments which are deposited monthly into a Canadian bank account.

I could have these deposits transfered to our thai bank into another account showing proof of living expenses (if asked)

We may deposit every 6 months to reduce bank charges for transfering this money.

We plan on using the 400,000 deposited for 2 months as proof for extension.

We could also use the 400,000 to live drawing monthly on it, although i figure we might as well make some money on it (Fixed Deposit ) as the money going into the account in Canada is a chequing account making next to zero interest.

S.B.

As said it should be fine in same type of FD account but you might get asked to explain how you pay for day to day living expenses so proof of another account or credit card type show might be good to have available.

You mean that ( for instance an extension of o-a visa, not thai wife ), in the thai bank letter, saving account + fixed account are accepted by immigration ?( it' mean two different sums )

Somebody told me that immigration doesn't accept fixed account to give extension; only saving account in the bank letter is ok .

Is it wrong ?

Extended my one-year "retirement" visa on 25OCT at ChaengWattana.

800k bank letter dated 24OCT, the day before. I had well over that amount in my account ...

Nevertheless I was asked to "update" my bank book at my bank's branch downstairs - 100b deposit did it.

Second time I'm asked to do that - first time in 2009.

This rigmarole "update" would not have been possible with a Fixed-Deposit-Account !!! LOL

As said it should be fine in same type of FD account but you might get asked to explain how you pay for day to day living expenses so proof of another account or credit card type show might be good to have available.

You mean that  ( for instance an extension of o-a visa, not thai wife ), in the thai bank letter, saving account + fixed account are accepted by immigration ?( it' mean two different sums )

Somebody told me that immigration doesn't accept fixed account to give extension; only saving account in the bank letter is ok .

Is it wrong ?

Immigration will accept fixed deposit accounts. It has be one that allows with funds at anytime.

You might be asked to show proof other funds but that is seldom asked for.

• Like 1

800k bank letter dated 24OCT, the day before. I had well over that amount in my account ...

Nevertheless I was asked to "update" my bank book at my bank's branch downstairs - 100b deposit did it.

This rigmarole "update" would not have been possible with a Fixed-Deposit-Account !!! LOL

There are lots of people using fixed term accounts.

It is possible to get an update of fixed term account bank books.

• Like 1

Not correct, update of passbook for fixed account is easily obtained from Bangkok Bank (I do it regularly) as well as other banks.

Hi,

I've tried it several times; a Fixed Deposit Account was refused; a savings account with a history of at least 3 months was accepted...

What immigration office was that?

Most offices now accept them as long as they are liquid. There are some accounts that do not allow withdrawals until the term is finished these immigration will not accept.

Edited by ubonjoe

Yes you can, but be very careful!

You seem to indicate that your B400,000 is in a savings account and not yet in a time deposit account. If so, you should transfer the money into another account, after you do your extension. The reason being that Immigration do not work on logic, and will not accept a copy of your savings deposit book showing B400,000 deposited since September, together with your new time deposit account showing a sum of B400,000 deposited at the same time the B400,000 was withdrawn from the savings deposit account. They will only accept the new time deposit account which has a different account number as evidence that you have B400,000 on deposit. Since it is November and a few days before your renewal, I suggest that you transfer B400,000 to a time deposit account after you have done your first extension. Depending on the length of term of the deposit, i.e. 3mth, 6mths, 10mth, 15mths, etc, make sure that your time deposit expiry overlaps the time where you will do your next extension in November 2014. I currently have a 10mth time deposit paying 3.25%. I did my extension in October and my time deposit runs out in February 2014. At that time I would need to open a new time deposit account (the Bank does not roll it over at the latest long term interest rate, only at the lowest savings account rate!) So you need to open a new account with a new account number which is a problem with the evidence required by immigration.

Edited by Estrada

Not correct, update of passbook for fixed account is easily obtained from Bangkok Bank (I do it regularly) as well as other banks.

I can confirm that. and I have used the time deposit account which pays 3.25% interest as proof of funds for the last 3 years. It is true that some years ago they would only accept saving deposit accounts, but improvements do slowly happen with the Immigration process.

You have always had to update on the same day as you visit immigration, otherwise your application will be rejected. For 18 years, I had to go to Silom and get the bank letter, then drive to Chaeng Wattana. Thankfully, the Banks at Chaeng Wattana supply you a letter in 5-10mins.

• Like 1

Actually if you are Canadian, as I am and I just extended my Mariage extension two weeks ago, go the Canadian Embassy get a letter of income from them 1,500 Baht, the Embassy will ask for statements, but don't worry as I didn't and they still gave me a letter, take it to Thai Immigration and that is all you need other than all the other paperwork you need. One other thing, I also had the 400,000 Baht in my bank and bank letter to show them just in case they didn't accept the letter from the Embassy, but I didn't need the bank letter.

Hope this helps

Hi,

I've tried it several times; a Fixed Deposit Account was refused; a savings account with a history of at least 3 months was accepted...

Most offices now accept them as long as they are liquid. There are some accounts that do not allow withdrawals until the term is finished these immigration will not accept.

I too had it refused. For me it was Samui.

His argument was "This for saving, not for living. How you live?"

I tried to reason but it was a waste of time. In the end you have to go with the interpretation of the Immigration Officer where you're applying.

• Like 1

Actually if you are Canadian, as I am and I just extended my Mariage extension two weeks ago, go the Canadian Embassy get a letter of income from them 1,500 Baht, the Embassy will ask for statements, but don't worry as I didn't and they still gave me a letter, take it to Thai Immigration and that is all you need other than all the other paperwork you need. One other thing, I also had the 400,000 Baht in my bank and bank letter to show them just in case they didn't accept the letter from the Embassy, but I didn't need the bank letter.

Hope this helps

Do not really understand why you did this however - if your 400k/letter met requirements that is all that would have been required. You made an extra trip to Embassy and paid 1,500 baht for something was was not required it seems. All it takes in one or the other. I support covering all bases but this seems a bit excessive.

Hi,

I tried to reason but it was a waste of time. In the end you have to go with the interpretation of the Immigration Officer where you're applying.

As an added note, always try and use the same officer that you applied with first and let them get to know you, makes the whole process much easier.

Thank you

The money is in a savings account now.

I will not be putting the money into a fixed deposit untill after i obtain my extension.

I also understand it must be a fixed account that i can withdraw money from (if need be),although would lose the interest.

We will go to Mukdahan Immigration next week to ask about their specific requirements,as it seems to change office to office.

We bank at Kasikorn although could change to another bank if more user friendly.

S.B.

This might be somewhat off topic, but perhaps somebody has some idea on this as well. We moved to another province recently but my "400K account" is as yet still in a Bangkok Bank account in Bangkok. Would I have to open a new account with a bank in my new home province to season/keep the money for the marriage extension of stay?

No but be aware use of funds outside of provide draws extra bank fees so normally best to have in a local account - which also makes it easier to obtain current letter of account balance as some banks will not want to issue for an account at another location. Normally immigration will take such things into consideration however and allow the extra time.

Hi,

his argument was "this for saving,not for living.how you live?" he was right,i have had all my extensions with fixed accs.but i also take my current bank book with me in case he ask's what do you live on.thats the acc.that i have my pension transfered to every yr.

This might be somewhat off topic, but perhaps somebody has some idea on this as well. We moved to another province recently but my "400K account" is as yet still in a Bangkok Bank account in Bangkok. Would I have to open a new account with a bank in my new home province to season/keep the money for the marriage extension of stay?

As LP3 said, there are extra costs to using an account outside your province. In addition, other bank business may be required to be done at your account branch, such as getting a new passbook or adding services. Best to have a local bank account.

No but be aware use of funds outside of provide draws extra bank fees so normally best to have in a local account - which also makes it easier to obtain current letter of account balance as some banks will not want to issue for an account at another location. Normally immigration will take such things into consideration however and allow the extra time.

Thanks lopburi3 for your quick reply. It may thus indeed be best to transfer the 400K to my new account, which I already opened for daily transactions at a bank in my home town and to avoid extra bank fees, just have to watch the balance not to go below 400K during seasoning period.