electric fuse bypass

beau thai

A couple of times in the last 2 weeks we have lost all the electrics in our condo apartment and, the last time, the electrician found that the fuse on the consumer unit was very hot and had blown. He fixed it by bypassing the fuse.

Questioning the safety of that he reassuringly (?) said they had done many like that in our condo.

Seems like a fire risk and we are on the 12th floor!!

I dont know much about this stuff-any one better informed have any thoughts. Its a Westinghouse box which the sparks said was old-probably is as the condo is over 20 years old, although the unit looks in good nick to me.

time to move,

fixing your unit does not fix the others which have been bypassed and pose fire hazards to the building

a qualified electrician is no help unless he is going to check and correct the whole building

Edited by Dante99

putting a bigger fuse in with wiring that is sized for a smaller loads will create problems, shorts, fire,,,,

It is not a reasonable solution unless all the wire sizes and loads are checked.

Sounds like there may be one fuse for the whole unit and if that is the case, the system is archaic.

Thais and electricity , a volatile combination, 4 inch nail knocked in the wall =earth or grounded,

wires left laying around on pavements,taped together,in rainy season= death.and so it goes on,

I really don't think that many Thai electricians know the properties of electricity,or its effects.

It would be interesting to know how many people die in Thailand every year,through electric shocks,

and fires caused by poorly installed electricity,I think it would surprise us all.

That said ,I did once find a good Thai sparky,rewired the whole house,did an excellent job,first class,

but that was about 6 years ago, tried to telephone him for another job I wanted doing,but he must have

changed his number,and i forgot his name.he defiantly was an exception to the rule.

regards worgeordie

Bypassing the fuse - a very bad idea. If the fuse is hot and then blows then there may be a partial short circuit and that needs fault finding and repair. Maybe the fuse rating is not correct. Get a qualified electrician.

Seems good advice thanks - can you recommend any please? Maybe someone with enough clout to check 500 units if I can convince the management committee there is a problem that is.....

Bypassing the fuse - a very bad idea. If the fuse is hot and then blows then there may be a partial short circuit and that needs fault finding and repair. Maybe the fuse rating is not correct. Get a qualified electrician.

Seems good advice thanks - can you recommend any please? Maybe someone with enough clout to check 500 units if I can convince the management committee there is a problem that is.....

I wouldn't bother. Virtually all electrical installations are faulty at the time of installation. Twenty years of alterations, repairs, re-jigs, fuse jumping, mickey mouse modifications means that essentially, the building is no more dangerous than it was from day one.

If you live up to the 20th floor, buy a quality mountaineering rope and a set of abseiling gear. If you live any higher, consider a parachute.

And while I'm slightly tongue-in-cheek with my reply, it's not too far from reality, and the evacuation advice is sound. whistling.gif

I wouldn't bother. Virtually all electrical installations are faulty at the time of installation. Twenty years of alterations, repairs, re-jigs, fuse jumping, mickey mouse modifications means that essentially, the building is no more dangerous than it was from day one.

If you live up to the 20th floor, buy a quality mountaineering rope and a set of abseiling gear. If you live any higher, consider a parachute.

And while I'm slightly tongue-in-cheek with my reply, it's not too far from reality, and the evacuation advice is sound. whistling.gif

Now you have me picturing those poor folks jumping from the top floors on 9/11 sad.png