breeding crayfish

crayfish

They are delicious.

I tried to grow some, but they died on me and had dreams of growing a supply to eat ourselves regularly.

Please post more.

There is another type of freshwater cray from Oz found in the Murray River and has spines...it is without doubt the most delicious one available and grows to a good size, sweet and creamy white flesh...mmm

• Like 1

I grew up in north queensland,and for those who don't know,the temperature is almost the same as thailand,red claws would have no problems with the environment.

How did you source the breeding stock?

I live in hua hin and would be interested at starting this up as well.

It would be a hobby and not for profit,and maybe even in corporate it into an aquaponics system,any info would be appreciated.

Red claws are very tasty.

Hi Showbags

The Murray crayfish is named after the river it lives in. It is the second largest cray in the world, the largest being the Tasmanian Giant. The Murray grows up to three and a half kilos but takes up to 9 years to reach that weight so is not really commercially viable. Also it only breeds once a year as opposed to the redclaws which breed 4 times a year giving between 500 and 1000 eggs each time. Red claws mature in 18 months and can reach 1 kilo. I was pleasantly surprised last night as one female laid eggs, these are the first eggs which I have waited several months for. For the last two days the male has been clearing out all the small stones from his cave and left the floor clear glass, the female is now occupying the cave and the male is sat at the entrance guarding her with his claws open warning the others to keep away. I need to move the female into a tank of her own before the eggs hatch, within a month. I think my real work is about to start.

Thanks for the reply

Regards

Norman

Good luck and bbq at your place in 6 months.

• Like 1

I had a 6' fish tank that I kept them instead of tropical fish in years ago. They provide plenty of entertainment. I used to feed them small pieces of cooked chicken.

I've pondered the idea of breeding them for personal consumption in the village. It's a project that will have to wait until I retire. Haven't been able to convince FIL to get interested in the idea yet.

I'll be watching your breeding project with interest.

I wonder if the locals are familiar with them, I've never seen them for sale and many people are reluctant to try new things. They eventually come around though if something tastes good. If crayfish are very prolific you will have to sell some or eat them at every meal and I don't care how good something is......you will get tired of it.smile.png

I wonder if the locals are familiar with them, I've never seen them for sale and many people are reluctant to try new things. They eventually come around though if something tastes good. If crayfish are very prolific you will have to sell some or eat them at every meal and I don't care how good something is......you will get tired of it.smile.png

I think the Thais would like them. I have seen potato chips lobster favored,very close in taste. But yes you can get tired of them. I lived in Maine one year and ate lobster until I couldn't eat another, that was in 1988. I have only eaten one since. Side note about lobster. Early on it was considered a trash food, the prisons were only allowed to serve it once a week.

• Like 1

Keep us informed. I think you are on to something here. Food supply for them I see as the only problem. Cat and dog food I think could be expensive. Maybe at the market, you could get the fish or maybe even the pork sellers to give you their scraps. Do they eat rice?smile.png

Hi Everyone.

Today I am in a bit of a dillema with the crays. At the moment I have 2 glass aquarium tanks, one big 48 inch, and a small one. In the big tank are the big breeding stock, two males and four females. two of the females are in berry and the other two will be very soon, so within six weeks I will have about 2000 baby crays( craylets ). Where do I keep them???? I want to keep each family of craylets seperate. For the past few days I have been designing a nursery set up for them which involves four plastic large food containers, side by side and plumbed up to a filter system. I have just come back from Makro . They have food safe containers but smaller than I am looking for. The big plastic containers are not designed for food and are likely to release chemicals into the water which will kill the crays. Anyhow I have purchaced one food container and have come up with another idea, which is to suspend the container in the big aquarium tank. First to cut slots around the sides, cover the slots with mesh and suspend it.The slots will allow the airiated water to flow through. In theory this should work. Will set it up tonight and put a female in berry in to see how she copes with it. I really hope this will work as it will save building a complicated nursery and will help utilize the big tank.

The raceway tank is up and running. I have had to make a few modifications though. The current was too strong, I put about 50 small fish (guppies) in to see how they handled it and they were being swept around the tank at some speed. To slow the current down I have placed some stones around the raceway and adjusted the pump outflow regulater to slow the water output from the pump. That has worked well. At the weekend I will put the 10 juviniles from the small aquarium tank in. They are about 2 inches long and will stay in the raceway tank for another few months until they are ready to breed. They will be my second generation breeding stock. This will also free up a tank which I can use for one of the females in berry ( with eggs ). The saying "in berry" comes from the fact that the eggs look like a berry ( Raspberry) see pic. A lot of experimenting going on at the moment. I have been experimenting with one thing or another since I started this project and so far have not lost a single cray

.post-191983-0-51948700-1384920001_thumb.

Will attach some pics of the females in berry soon.

Regards

Norman

• Like 2

In answer to bunnydrops asking about food for the crays. Well, at the moment it is not a problem as I only have a few crays. But what happens when I have thousands. The one thing to avoid is putting fried food in their tank, or indeed any oily food. The oil will dilute with the water and will clog the gills of the crays and they will not be able to breath, and will drown.I have read many articles about people feeding them on cat and dog food. One, it is expensive and two, I like to know what I am feeding them. In pet food I don't know the fat content. Making food for the crays is easy and not very time consuming. Basically I boil vegetables and a little fruit,together with raw fish and chicken meat. It only wants to be boiled for a minute or two or the vitanin and calcium will all be in the water. I then grind it all in a blender, mix it with rice husks, roll it out like a pizza base and dry it in the sun. This can either be cut into pellets or just broken off as needed. They don't seem too keen on eating rice,and it clouds the water with starch. They like eating decomposing food so I put leaves from cabbage, lettuce etc in the tank and as it decomposes they eat it.

Will talk again on this subject, I'm still learning.

Regards

Norman

25% protein is recommended for redclaw so why not use sinking 25% herbacius fish pellets?

• Like 1

Hi Everyone.

Today I am in a bit of a dillema with the crays. At the moment I have 2 glass aquarium tanks, one big 48 inch, and a small one. In the big tank are the big breeding stock, two males and four females. two of the females are in berry and the other two will be very soon, so within six weeks I will have about 2000 baby crays( craylets ). Where do I keep them????

Regards

Norman

Send a few to me. I've got a 6ft tank coming free in 2 weeks.smile.png

Regards.

My thanks to Ozzydom for the enclosed fact sheets on redclaws. I have read about 30 such documents and the problem I have with them is that there is so much conflicting information. In this report it states that redclaws grow up to 500 gram (males), I have read in several other documents that they grow to 1000 gram ( 1 kilo ) I will have to wait and see. The document also states that it is not necessary to have a hatchery, which is what I am building at the moment. It may not be necessary but if I don't use one I will loose a lot of the craylets with overcrowding in the aquarium tank. I can't picture a 4 foot tank with 2000 craylets in it. In the document they say that the craylets can be put in earthen ponds at 2 weeks old. At this age they are tiny, I am sure many would perish at that size. I like the idea of using earthen ponds to grow the crays out, starting when they are about 6 months old and weighing 50 grams and growing them out to full size ( whatever that is ). The pics in the document are very good and informative, already given me some good ideas.

Again many thanks for the doc, keep them coming.

Regards

Norman

• Like 1

My thanks ..

Norman

Hi there Norman ... some great work there.

Just a small thing ... notice the difference in the writing size between everyone elses ... and yours.

The Admin guys on the Forum, have to keep coming to the thread and change yours.

Maybe just type it in the box here and it's easy enough to read.

Hi Norman,

as far as I remember from breeding crayfish and shrimps as pets the young ones need animal proteins to grow, so no way to get them starting with your mostly vegetarian homemade food.

But there is a good option at least up to some quantity and this is called "Moina". It's a genus of aquatic plankton and being sold in pet shops which have a good variety of fish. In Udon Thani I know only one but normally you can ask for breeders of siamese fighting fish (pla kat) and they should have some in culture.

All they need for good reproduction is a lot of sunlight to have a lot of phytoplankton to feed on. Usually they are bred in the concrete rings used for the large water pipes available at builders shops for THB 150.-, just take some cement and fill the bottom so that it's a closed container and fill it with water. Some liters taken from a public lake will help growing the plankton faster. When it's nice green you can add some Moina and the quantity will explode within 1 or 2 weeks.

Bye,

Derk

• Like 1

Hi Everyone.

Today I am in a bit of a dillema with the crays. At the moment I have 2 glass aquarium tanks, one big 48 inch, and a small one. In the big tank are the big breeding stock, two males and four females. two of the females are in berry and the other two will be very soon, so within six weeks I will have about 2000 baby crays( craylets ). Where do I keep them???? I want to keep each family of craylets seperate. For the past few days I have been designing a nursery set up for them which involves four plastic large food containers, side by side and plumbed up to a filter system. I have just come back from Makro . They have food safe containers but smaller than I am looking for. The big plastic containers are not designed for food and are likely to release chemicals into the water which will kill the crays. Anyhow I have purchaced one food container and have come up with another idea, which is to suspend the container in the big aquarium tank. First to cut slots around the sides, cover the slots with mesh and suspend it.The slots will allow the airiated water to flow through. In theory this should work. Will set it up tonight and put a female in berry in to see how she copes with it. I really hope this will work as it will save building a complicated nursery and will help utilize the big tank.

The raceway tank is up and running. I have had to make a few modifications though. The current was too strong, I put about 50 small fish (guppies) in to see how they handled it and they were being swept around the tank at some speed. To slow the current down I have placed some stones around the raceway and adjusted the pump outflow regulater to slow the water output from the pump. That has worked well. At the weekend I will put the 10 juviniles from the small aquarium tank in. They are about 2 inches long and will stay in the raceway tank for another few months until they are ready to breed. They will be my second generation breeding stock. This will also free up a tank which I can use for one of the females in berry ( with eggs ). The saying "in berry" comes from the fact that the eggs look like a berry ( Raspberry) see pic. A lot of experimenting going on at the moment. I have been experimenting with one thing or another since I started this project and so far have not lost a single cray

.attachicon.gifeggs_fs.jpg

Will attach some pics of the females in berry soon.

Regards

Norman

Thai Wasado (KK) have some big blue plastic containers, round and square, lids available separately. Kind of size you might use to provide water for livestock in a field. Any good?

Hi Derk

Thanks for the advice on the aquatic plankton. I have an idea where I get get some so will check it out later today.

Although the food I make is mostly vegetarian I do supplement their diet with raw meat, fish, chicken, and liver and heart. I also feed them on "jing lee" ( don't know the english word for this) but it is like a fat grasshopper, also other insects. These are high in protein and calcium.I already have the concrete rings which I am using for the filter system which is in full sunlight. Will give this a try. Thanks for the info. Will keep you informed as it progresses.

Regards

Norman

Last night I read two more documents regarding breeding crays. One from America and one from Australia. They both, like most of the documents I read, give figures on how to maximise

output with maximum profit and maximum intensive housing. One recommended certain types of antibiotics and growth promoters . This is not the way I want to go. If I need antibiotics and growth promoters then I think I am doing something wrong. The crays I have now are growing well and are in a healthy condition without all the additives. The documents leave me thinking they are running a crayfish factory not a crayfish farm. I am not getting this together to become rich, that has never entered my mind. I just want to breed crays in as natural an environment as possible. I might be wrong but I believe if they are living stress free lives they will grow and stay healthy, much the same as us humans.

Speaking of natural environments for the crays, I feel that a glass aquarium tank is not a natural environment for them. It is good for observing them but they are also observing us through the glass. This became apparant last night when a dog went up to the glass for a look in and the crays panicked and hid really fast. Today I will blank out the bottom 6 inches or so all around the tank . In their natural environment they spend the day hidden away from predators by hiding in dark places such as alcoves or caves where nothing can see them. In the tank as it is now they are open to view which must be stressing them somewhat. Another thing they don't like is the small pebbles I put in the tank. The two females with eggs are living in caves with no pebbles, the male cleared all the pebbles out before they laid eggs.The reason for this is that the pebbles can damage the eggs as I am sure a lot of them have sharp edges, Also when the females walk around the tank they keep their eggs well covered with their tails tucked over the eggs. I get my camera back today so I will take some pics this weekend and post them next week.

Just a point of interest,,, I often wondered why the back most legs of the crays don't have claws like all the other legs. This I found out by observing the females with eggs, they actually use their back most legs to clean their eggs, they wipe them and shake them, if they had claws they would rip the eggs apart.

I have tried to upload some videos I have taken but I see the max single file size is 100MB, will contact thaivisa staff and ask for a larger file size.

Have to go

Regards

Norman